Thread: .338 MX Marlin Express

Default .338 MX Marlin Express

I have a LH sstl .338 Win Mag I bought for when I get back to AK on a three month trip I am planning. But I was curious is any of the forum members have or have used the new .338 Marlin Express calibre successfully??? I like the idea of a sstl lever action with a 24" barrel.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

I to am interested in this gun. I have 2 marlins a 45/70 and 444. Even though I just had a custom 35 whelen built I still seem to grab one of the marlins when I go out. They shoot very well and are easy to carry. The 338 should give them some extra distance.

Haven't but would not hesitate. Matter of fact, I'd own one if money were growing on trees and I had a money tree!

Taylor

Go South and east Marc!! The way the stuffed shirts are spending our tax dollars there must be some pretty darn big "money trees" in Washington!!

I own one but I have not had a chance to hunt with it yet,I would not hesitate a second to use it though.

It has roughly the same ballistics as a 30-06.

I have a blued one. Its a good shooter but I too have not hunted with it yet. Probably use it this fall for moose.

i just ordered the 24" stainless model, and am looking forward to an elk hunt with it in november. all the advertising states (shows) a compairison with the 30-06, but to me it looks like a .35 whelen. bullet energy and velocity are very similar to the whelen factory load which is saying alot when it comes to taking big game.

never being satisfied i will probably order out (hey kid!) a wild west trigger and ejector, lap the bolt and fit a set of low talley mounts. any other suggestions??
    happy trails.
    jh

Default trailing the .338-06

but that isn't an insult.

I'd imagine that most important would be to select the toughest bullet in your chosen weight. For me it would be 210-215 and I'd live with the loss of velocty.

hi notpc; of course that is not possible with the .338 marlin, as standard bullets can't be used in a tubular magazine. further the propriatory powder isn't available for reloading. HOWEVER, i did order dies, brass, & hornady ftx (flex tip expanding bullet) bullets to work up a load.
    it will be a fun exersize, and only my cronograph will be the wiser........
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    and only my cronograph will be the wiser........
    Yes sir, I like your way of thinking! There are folk that will shy away from the 338 Marlin simply because the commercial powder isn't available to the shooting public. Then there are those who know that when Dave Emary developed this round he stopped short of what he considered maximum pressure just to be absolutely sure there wouldn't be any extraction problems. These folk will keep dumping in the powder try to wring out every extra foot per second possible and probably find out where that extraction threshold is.

In the real hunting world dead critters don't know if the bullet was going 2400fps vs 2600 fps.....only the chrony is the wiser.

I see one of these 338s in my future.....after the house gets roofed and the siding gets put on....momma says

Here's a good read on the developement of the 338 Marlin.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammun...S_338_122008WO

I know it's from a gun rag but Wayne van Zwoll is a pretty straight shooter when it comes to giving facts rather than BS.

thanks for the complement (my thinking?), this looks like an interesting new cartridge that will be fun to test in the mountains. with luck i will post pictures in november.

good luck on your future purchase, perhaps we can swap load data.
    happy trails.
    jh

I had a couple of them ported over at WWG for my wife and kid to use. Had my first chance to shoot them today and then they did to, its not a bad little rifle. I was afraid the daughter wouldn't like it but she kept asking to shoot it again so I guess thats a good sign.

I did some more shooting of mine. Sat down and did a whole box. Maybe its because I shot it in a t-shirt, but that thing is a shoulder bruiser! Im getting good groups with mine. Action is still a little stiff trying to eject. I might put a scope on it and see what happens. Or I might sell it....

hey matt; most of my benchwork is done with a strap on shoulder pad......it really helps for extended shooting sessions. i usually slick up my levers with some JB paste on the bolt. work the lever of awhile and you will be amazed at the difference. file one thread from the loading port screw (try it first by backing it off a bit...then work the lever), and part out the trigger & ejector for wwg model. good luck!
    happy trails.
    jh

Lever fix.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,64535.0.html

Not all of them have this problem but some do.

I am a big fan of the .338 caliber in bolt guns. I just wish Marlin did something similar in .35 or .375 caliber. I'm just not interested in a "long range' lever gun. Maybe a stout and deep penetrating 210 grain bullet will be made for it some day.

Try Marlin for the 40 plus caliber chamberings. 444, 450, and 45-70. Certainly bigger diameter than what you said but those are available. Those calibers cover your requirements of stout and deep penetrating.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

hi .338: read the stats on hornady's leverevolution bullet...it's made tough for deep penetration. i personally have killed two elk with two shots with my marlin .35 using leverevolution ammunition. both were over 200 yards and both shots were pass throughs. some folks disparaging this excellent bullet have never shot anything with it.
    it's a daisy.
    happy trails.
    jh