Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: FOCU$ is Home!

  1. #1
    Member Kidless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    190

    Default FOCU$ is Home!

    FOCU$ is now complete & at the house! We'll post some pics of her on the water soon...

    & a big thank you to the fabricators {Willy, Dan, & Alex} & to the riggers {Jordan, Joel, & Kevin} for dedicating your time & special skills to get her completed










    Thanks,

    Mitch
    Last edited by LuJon; 07-15-2010 at 02:44. Reason: Tried to fix pic link

  2. #2
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Awesome news!! I am not sure what is going on w/ the picture but it may be due to the new software not accepting percent signs which unfortunately are common in the picture link codes! Congrats on finally getting her home!!

  3. #3
    Member jrogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,539

    Default

    The imbedded picture is not working, but the link you put on the page gets us there. I am glad you got it home finally. When is your first trip out in the salt? Gotta start working on making that aluminum less shiny!
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

  4. #4

    Default

    Awsom to hear she is free of her captors. Hope to see you on the sound this weekend. I will be in Nellie Juan if you get down that far, look me up. The boys at GC do good work.

  5. #5
    Member Kidless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Not sure what happened to the link? Anyway, will try again.
    Yes,, I agree less shiny means more adventures on the water!




    Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    The imbedded picture is not working, but the link you put on the page gets us there. I am glad you got it home finally. When is your first trip out in the salt? Gotta start working on making that aluminum less shiny!

  6. #6
    Member Kidless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Glenn, will try to get her in the water mid next week, out of Whittier? Will ya be out there during the week?


  7. #7
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    That's Beautiful,
    After your first run you gotta post some numbers, top speed, gph, fuel tank capacity, etc.
    What is the Length Overall?

    Nice Job,
    I especially like the "Workable Bow" area. So many boats, mine included, the Bow is just an overboard zone to work on if at all. All that space on Deck just for windows and an anchor....
    Yours is Very Nice, right size railing also.

    That "entry" into the water with the lines of the Hull up forward is really nice also. man oh man, it does look TOUGH,
    Have Fun
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  8. #8
    Member Kidless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    190

    Default

    FOCU$ is a 28'er w/ 10' beam & 10 1/2" cabin. She should see some water next week & I'll get the readings posted. Starting out w/ 21 pitch props,, they might be too big,,, we'll see very shortly?

    Thanks for the comments,

    Mitch


    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    That's Beautiful,
    After your first run you gotta post some numbers, top speed, gph, fuel tank capacity, etc.
    What is the Length Overall?

    Nice Job,
    I especially like the "Workable Bow" area. So many boats, mine included, the Bow is just an overboard zone to work on if at all. All that space on Deck just for windows and an anchor....
    Yours is Very Nice, right size railing also.

    That "entry" into the water with the lines of the Hull up forward is really nice also. man oh man, it does look TOUGH,
    Have Fun

  9. #9
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    That thing is smoking hot!!

  10. #10
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Good for you Mitch! Just got back from a week out there. Flat water and lots of fish. I look forward to seeing her on the water.

    Congratulations!

    Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  11. #11

    Default

    Mitch,
    I saw you on the road yesterday (Sunday) and tried to flag you down. You appeared to be on a mission, though. Suggest you check out the tires/pressure/bearings/brakes on the right hand/passenger side of the trailer. There was smoke/steam ??? coming off one of the axles. Something was HOT. Good looking boat for sure.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12
    Member Kidless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Thanks, will check into it today!

    Mitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Mitch,
    I saw you on the road yesterday (Sunday) and tried to flag you down. You appeared to be on a mission, though. Suggest you check out the tires/pressure/bearings/brakes on the right hand/passenger side of the trailer. There was smoke/steam ??? coming off one of the axles. Something was HOT. Good looking boat for sure.

  13. #13

    Default

    Mitch: I STRONGLY recommend you take FOCUS to a certified scale and get her weighed the way you were towing her. Once you get the weight with fuel, water and gear compare it with the data plate on the trailer (All trailers are required to have a manufacturer's data plate attached). You MAY find you are exceeding the weight limits of the trailer. DO NOT take the manufacturer's word on how much a boat weighs!!!

    SB

  14. #14
    Member jrogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,539

    Default

    Mitch,

    I don't want to deter you from looking into this, but if you have disk brakes, these can get hot and generate steam when towing in the rain, especially if you just came down a hill or something. You have a lot of weight, and when slowing that thing down your trailer has to convert all of that mass and speed into heat with the brakes. You may also have a dragging brake or something, which will wear things out quickly, but don't overlook the possability that things are normal.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Mitch,

    I don't want to deter you from looking into this, but if you have disk brakes, these can get hot and generate steam when towing in the rain, especially if you just came down a hill or something. You have a lot of weight, and when slowing that thing down your trailer has to convert all of that mass and speed into heat with the brakes. You may also have a dragging brake or something, which will wear things out quickly, but don't overlook the possability that things are normal.
    Good Call on the Disc Brakes building heat and generating steam. It might well be the nature of the beast.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  16. #16
    Member Kidless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Guys, the trailer has drum brakes. I lifted each wheel today & spun them & didn't notice anything out of normal {bearings, grease, tire tread appeared normal & nothing had the ole burnt smell}. But will stop by a brake specialist in the am & have them verify all the shoes are set to the correct tolerance.
    Appreicate all in the information & will let ya know what we find out.

    Mitch

  17. #17
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    I am not a brake specialist or anything but assuming that they are electric brakes I would check it with your brake controller hooked up. I imagine it is possible that an error w/ it could cause the brakes to be applied incorrectly or make them drag.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kidless View Post
    Guys, the trailer has drum brakes. I lifted each wheel today & spun them & didn't notice anything out of normal {bearings, grease, tire tread appeared normal & nothing had the ole burnt smell}. But will stop by a brake specialist in the am & have them verify all the shoes are set to the correct tolerance.
    Appreicate all in the information & will let ya know what we find out.

    Mitch
    Are they electric or surge? Stop and go or even slowing and accelerating with surge brakes can cause overheating, as well as how the boat sits on the trailer, forward/aft and side to side. If you have an infrared thermometer gun (cheap nowadays and useful in troubleshooting engine misfires, etc.), you could easily take it for a spin and shoot it to detect hot spots. If not, I would use my hands, literally touching/grabbing the drums/axles/bearings/tires and see if I could tell.Tire pressure is a big deal, with heavy loads, I run max pressure on trailer tires. You may or may not even have a problem, but I have seen a lot of weekends ruined by the trailers.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  19. #19

    Default

    My 28' meets the trailer specs only if I have all my tanks empty. With 2 tanks of fuel, water and kerosen and all my gear Endurance weighs 13,005 lbs. That is including the trailer weight. My trailer is only a 10,500 lb. limit. So I keep her empty while I tow her. What trailer did you get Mitch?

  20. #20
    Member Kidless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    190

    Default

    AK RES, we towed FOCU$ back today & periodically stopped & checked the brakes, wheels, hubs, etc & nothing felt warm or out of the ordinary during the tow. The heat & or steam noticed on Sunday must have been from water spray or dragging brake pads??? but she appears to be working correctly now.


    Also, had a brake tech inspect the drums & all were w/in tolerance,, which is good considering it's a new trailer.


    I did however p/u another hitch w/ a taller rise to adjust the trailer to a more level towing position though,, should help as well. She's really pushes down on the ole 1 ton Cummins..


    I really appreciate ya bringing the past issue to our attention!


    Thanks,
    Mitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •