View Poll Results: Which smartphone would you use to access our new forum application?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPhone

33 44.59%
  • Android

19 25.68%
  • BlackBerry

2 2.70%
  • Nokia

0 0%
  • Not interested

21 28.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapatalk Poll- please take a minute!

Exclamation Tapatalk Poll- please take a minute!

Hi folks,

As many of you know, we just added a new way to access our forums; Tapatalk. This program allows you to access the forums through four smart phones: iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and Nokia. Currently this app costs $2.99 per user, all of which goes to Tapatalk directly. We have an opportunity to purchase a license for Tapatalk, and if we do, the revenue goes to Outdoors Directory instead. The cost is the same to you, but it gives our site more financial strength, which allows us to improve it even more. If you are a smart phone user, please complete the following poll, so we can assess how many folks would actually use this service if it were available. If it's not cost-effective, we won't do it, but we'd like to see if there is enough interest to justify the substantial cost to the site.

Thanks for your help!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default maybe ignorance is bliss?

I have a moto Droid and use it daily to check this forum. Seems pretty easy, not sure I would purchase anything.

I don't own a Cell phone, of any type.

You and the other 8 guys in your town just communicate over an intricate network of string and soup cans.

I use it and like it. If you don't purchase the licence will we still be able to use it?

Tried 3 times now to install this tapa-thingie to my BB and it doesn't work. When you try to run it, there is an error that kills the app. So if the app actually worked, I'd try it. Until then, I'm not interested.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    I use it and like it. If you don't purchase the licence will we still be able to use it?
    Yes; nothing will change from the user end. The difference is that the $$ goes to the site instead of to TapaTalk. The price tag of purchasing the license means we'd have to sell 300 downloads to break even. We're trying to see ifenough members are interested, to justify the move.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    You and the other 8 guys in your town just communicate over an intricate network of string and soup cans.

Well, We mostly communicate with a single finger. Said finger can be contiguous with a trigger mechanism, and/or the "One'finger Salute, which communicates: "Be fruitful and multiply".......

I use an htc hero with Android to access the forums the majority of my visits. It works fine without using the paid for app.

-akiceman25

I clicked IPhone, but what I really use is my IPod touch. If I find out you guys buy the license I'll get the app. It will be nice to know where the $2.99 went. Otherwise I'll stick with the browser even though it's not fully functional. I just hate buying apps.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Tapatalk makes ODD very user friendly on a cell phone and much faster. Definitely worth the $3!

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

If it's so great, why can't they make it work on a BlackBerry?

JOAT, when was the last time you attempted a re-install? It appears there have been some recent upgrades and tweeks to make the app work more seamlessly with the blackberry. Also an older version of tapatalk might work.

http://www.tapatalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2572

First time was a couple days ago, right after the forum upgrade. Last attempt (before 5 minutes ago) was yesterday. New download and install each time. Same startup failure on first attempt to run the app each time, followed by deleting the app and walking away.

Read the linked Tapa forum. That info is from back in May, but the problem was identical to what my BB does (and yes, I'm on the same model Curve 8900 that was posted about in that forum). So, I went and downloaded the older version of the app as recommended on that forum, and it is up and running. So it has to be something wrong with the newer version of the app. You'd think that after knowing about the problem for a couple months they would have done something.

I'll play with this for a bit and see if it looks like something I'll want to buy.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    The price tag of purchasing the license means we'd have to sell 300 downloads to break even.
    Unless they are going to pay you for the people that already have it I imagine it would take quite some time to break even.

If it is a one time fee it may be worth it in the long run. My bet is it would be years before it would show a return. Is there a way to see how many users are currently viewing with the program.

Owning an iPhone is expensive enough as it is without buying into the whole "ap" cult. I just don't see the point in paying for a separate tool to read a forum when I have a free one that works just fine.

I voted "not interested".
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    Owning an iPhone is expensive enough as it is without buying into the whole "ap" cult.
    Purchasing a expensive iPhone does not make sense if you are not going to take advantage of its capabilities. Might as well buy a cheap flip phone if you are not going to buy a few dollars worth of apps to use the device to its full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Tapatalk makes ODD very user friendly on a cell phone and much faster. Definitely worth the $3!

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    Its pretty much the only way to go if you plan on runnin' the forum on a smarphone....

I bought the read only version and a couple days later bought the full application because it was SO MUCH FASTER than using Safari for the iPhone...

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    Purchasing a expensive iPhone does not make sense if you are not going to take advantage of its capabilities. Might as well buy a cheap flip phone if you are not going to buy a few dollars worth of apps to use the device to its full potential.
    Uh....yeah....

Why have a smart phone if you don't want to use one as such?

Why have a smart phone if you don't want to use one as such?
    Well, I suppose it's for the same reason some people spend a lot of money on a loaded truck, but don't want to buy a lot of expensive accessories to bolt onto it. I use my iPhone primarily as a phone. I know. It's weird, huh? But I do also use it to check my email, surf the web, listen to music, set my DVR, play a few games, check facebook, take pictures, dictate messages, check the weather, and much more, all without buying any apps. Can you do all that with a "dumb" phone? I don't think so. I just choose to not spend my money on unnecessary apps.

I will say, though, that you are not the first people that think that's strange. And that's fine with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast