Thread: Ferry trail conditions and caribou

Default Ferry trail conditions and caribou

Just curious,
    My son drew a caribou permit for the ferry trail and rex trail area. From what i have heard rex trail is trashed from the big rigs. I know the ferry trail is limited to 47" wide wheelers to get across the bridge. What are the trailer conditons once we get across the bridge?? How far do we have to go to find a caribou?? I have also heard that the chances of killing something is way better if done by fly in, unfortuantely i have yet to buy an airplane, which is not in the plans. We are not trophy hunting, the kid just wants to kill a caribou before his older brother does, since the older one has did everything else already first. Just looking for any help or advice for hunting this area around 8/10/10.

Thanks

if you make it out by the totat or across it seen quite a few caribou out that way last year. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by milpol78 View Post
    if you make it out by the totat or across it seen quite a few caribou out that way last year. Good luck
    I thought it was non motorized once you crossed the totat?

It is i seen some on this side of the totat last year and did some hiking and seen quite a few more on the other side

Anybody been down the ferry trail lately? Is it in bad shape? Any caribou around?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor fanatic View Post
    Anybody been down the ferry trail lately? Is it in bad shape? Any caribou around?
    as of 5 pm tomorrow it will be SLAMMMMMMMED with hunters. the trail was recently bladed by some of the miners out there as is the norm.. dusty and dry last week we were out there on our own claim... haven't seen a bou out there in years... possibly all the way in across the river into the CUA and up to the old air strip... but we spent four days over on moody and they were all headed east at the time from there. you have about a 10% chance finding a bull on the ferry side.. sorry.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I went out there for the same bou hunt a couple years ago. We made as far as the totat, but it was too high to cross. No bou, none out there for years according to the miners. But my friend has been down there twice this year and saw caribou both times, across and before the totat.

I am heading down there on Tuesday, my buddy drew an any bull tag for moose on the ferry. I drew the bou tag as well. I have seen bou down there in recent years, as well did my father-in-law and others I know. I am going to the end of the trail to look for them and I hope I can see at least on bull. The ferry trail is never in bad condition, so that shouldn't be an issue. If it rain a bunch, it might be hard to cross some of the creeks, but you just never know. Good luck and have fun. BTW, Healy creek is also an option, but it is really high and hard to travel right now. My buddy put his wheeler in the river which is why we left and did not harvest one, yet.

OK, so the miners say there is nothing there (is this because they don't want people in there??) and the hunters say there are caribou around. Well i guess i will have to go and find out for myself. It should be a good 4 wheeler ride atleast, a kill would just be a bonus.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

no that not it at all just saying i have not seen a bou in the ferry area in years. this week end will be slammed with moose hunters and the area your headed to will be hit the hardest. as is the case every year.. there will be a few hundred four wheelers back there. just remember that the totat. is the boundry for the wood river CUA and that even the the trail crosses there.. YOU MUST WALK IN

there is always a chance to see a bou however slim... white wolf told you the same thing i did.... all the way in across the river. with the hunter traffic in there any that are seen on the ferry side will be moving FAST!

we will be over on Rex creek if you make it in that far... huge camp with equipment in it. down in the bottom lands... swing in for coffee if over that way...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

"OF" have a wonderful trip! We'll look forward to photos of "D's" first Bou!

If nothing else, you could always stop in, grab your sister and she could show you where she shot hers.... (wink)......

Have a safe and fun trip!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

thanks for the info. Vince, hopefully this year there is a caribou that gets lost and is in the area we are at. We are not die hard hunters we are just going to have a good time and hoping to get lucky.

Off topic, but do any of you guys see many moose in the winter time out the Ferry trail way?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor fanatic View Post
    OK, so the miners say there is nothing there (is this because they don't want people in there??) and the hunters say there are caribou around. Well i guess i will have to go and find out for myself. It should be a good 4 wheeler ride atleast, a kill would just be a bonus.
    I dunno if thats the case. They were very nice and hospitable to us. They gave us beer and told us to come back next year and that we could stay in their bunkhouses if we wanted.

Has anybody been in the Ferry trail in the past week?? What are the water crossings like? I have a 10 year old kid just itching to put a bullet in a caribou, were there any sighted before the Totalanika river? We are going to be up there tomorrow, it looks like the weather will be nice hopefully we can find a caribou for the kid, I know it is a long shot but it should be fun.

there was one taken just this side of the totat last sunday, they worked their asses off for it as i understand also.

meet on face book here