Thread: Warn Winch Warranty question

Default Warn Winch Warranty question

Okay no bashing just a simple question how many of you had to get a warn winch covered under warranty and when you did they give you hard time? I cracked the housing on mine it is the 4,000 pounder on a Polaris ranger. It stopped working on me out in Eureka when I really needed it now I know why. Quick story stuck in a mud hole hooked up to some bushes, wife was winching and giving the ranger gas so it was not like it was pulling dead weight. Anyhow I'm yelling at my wife winch in winch in and she is yelling at me I am and I find out the winch is not doing nothing... I see Six States is the authorized warranty center.

I had a 2006 Polaris X2 that I bought from Marita Sea and Ski I bought it with a 2500 lb Polaris winch installed. It seized up on me and I called Marita and they let me take it off my self, bring it in and they replaced it with a brand new unit. I paid $100 more and got the "WARN" 2500 lb winch. Less than a year later the brake on the WARN winch broke meaning that when I raised my plow it would sink back down a few inches. Called Marita and they would not cover it. However, I then asked them what about the manufacturer warranty and that WARN has a one year warranty and they were the dealer who sold it to me. They said that I would have to bring the winch in and they would send it to Six States and it would either be repaired or they would get the green light to give me a new one. I complained enough about it being inconvenient, customer service, repeat business etc. and they ended up just having me pick up a new WARN winch that I installed myself. I sold that machine in 2009 and now have a 2010 Ranger 6X6 with a 4500lb Polaris winch and so far have had no problems.

We just bought this Ranger in April and it is has been okay the winch. I'm really turned off from Marita and ski that is where I bought the machine from, If I can have any influnece on a Soldiers decison about a machine I will tell them to go elsewhere either Eagle river or go to Wasilla to Hatcher pass polaris. I deal with Soliders everyday, so I do have some influence when they ask about where to buy a 4 wheeler from... I took the winch in six states today and they said they will send it to Warn and let them make a decision. I hope I don't have to buy a new one, if anything they can replace the broken parts and call it a day. If I do I think I will by a superwinch instead and give them a try. But it is a lonely feeelign when your winch breaks on you in the middle of a mudhole it si a good thing we ahd two other wheelers with winches on them that were able to yank it out.

For similar reasons I deal with Big Lake Power Sports and not anyone here in Anchorage or Eagle River. I have also heard good things about Hatchers Pass, but I'm already loyal to BL so I'm good.

I carry a come-a-long and always have at least one other vehicle with me.

My 2 cents do not buy a superwinch, complete and utter junk, had one, nothing but problems, left me stranded in a deep fast moving creek a real butt pucker moment. It wasn't just one time either, I've had the selonoid burn out twice, and the switch once... never again for me.

Don't go to Performance Yamaha either, total crap customer service.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Dn't really want to turn this into a I hate a certain dealer but I was in Marita ski yesterday loooking around my wife wants a 4 wheeler now so we were looking and looking and no salesman to be found well he was sitting inside. SO I figured they didn;t want to sell anything. I have been to Eagle river couple of times I like thier service department very helpful but same thing as far as salesman to answer questions and they have no Polaris all Artic Cats... I'm not saying they need to run outside tripping on themselves when I pull up but someone around to ask some helpful questions would be great. One of the best saleman around was Marita ski service manager who was helping out at the sportsman show. So next stop is in Wasilla to Hatcher pass polaris cause I have heard nothing but great things about them.

With all the positive reports on highlifter about the viper winches, I think that is what is going on the front of my wife's yammi kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Dn't really want to turn this into a I hate a certain dealer but I was in Marita ski yesterday loooking around my wife wants a 4 wheeler now so we were looking and looking and no salesman to be found well he was sitting inside. SO I figured they didn;t want to sell anything. I have been to Eagle river couple of times I like thier service department very helpful but same thing as far as salesman to answer questions and they have no Polaris all Artic Cats... I'm not saying they need to run outside tripping on themselves when I pull up but someone around to ask some helpful questions would be great. One of the best saleman around was Marita ski service manager who was helping out at the sportsman show. So next stop is in Wasilla to Hatcher pass polaris cause I have heard nothing but great things about them.
    I have to agree with the opinions of Marita. My family has been a long time customer of Alaska Power Sports (we've always owned Polaris sleds). Ever since Marita bought them, it seems like they're less inclined to put that extra effort into pre-sales customer service. Mitch is the service manager over at Marita and he really is a good guy. In fact, most of their service department are stand-up guys. However, I decided quite awhile ago that I wouldn't be purchasing any new toys from them.

LuJon thanks for the info on viper winches... Really makes one think wow are Warn winches overpriced? Those viper winches come with amsteel synthetic rope w the aluminum fairlead, 1 year warranty, waterproof all for around 259.00...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin14 View Post
    I have to agree with the opinions of Marita. My family has been a long time customer of Alaska Power Sports (we've always owned Polaris sleds). Ever since Marita bought them, it seems like they're less inclined to put that extra effort into pre-sales customer service. Mitch is the service manager over at Marita and he really is a good guy. In fact, most of their service department are stand-up guys. However, I decided quite awhile ago that I wouldn't be purchasing any new toys from them.
    Reason we stopped there, thier website siad they had a 08 800. So we stopped in to see if they had it and what they wanted for it nothing around so we figured they sold it. So my wife saw the mossy oak breakup machines. If they would of came out so they could of answered her questions they probably would of sold one that day. I'm not a salesman!If I was a salesman and I saw anyone crawiling around on a machine I would be out thier to answer some basic questions. Some of these simple questions are do they come with a winch, any rebates. But with LuJon pointing me in the direction of viper winches heck with the free winch from polaris.