Thread: Culross Island deer

Default Culross Island deer

Okay, so it looks like I'm going out to Culross for a short weekend hunt. I have low expectations and I know I'll have to hike. If anyone has hunted it before and knows any particular bad places to avoid, or any general tips on where to go and what to do, it would be greatly appreciated.

I've always wondered if there were any deer on culross.Let me know How you do.There are deer reports closer than that though so must hold at least a deer.My advice is to climb high very early and find a good place to glass,if you do this enough in all the spots you can,If there is a deer there you will see them.there redish coats sure stand out in the lush green.will we be out in the sound opening day to,if the weather Is good!!Keep your fingers crossed,with this weather we have been having who knows???

I figure there has to be at least some deer there. The biologist told me right now the deer population is on the uptick and I saw two huge deer 3 miles from whittier on the north beach this march. Like I said, the only expectation I have is to hike my friggin butt off.

I hunted Culross once. I was in goose bay in culross passage. It was awesome terrain it was like hunting a Jack Nicholas designed golf course. It was the 1st of Nov about 12 years ago. It was cold but there was no snow, so it was crunchy. When we woke up in the morning goose bay was frozen so we had to break ice w/ the bowpicker to the beach cause the zodiak was worthless. Anyway there was very little deer sign. I decided if I ever hunt culross again it was going to be on the south facing part of the island, like Hidden Bay. If you're going to hunt the buck opener plan on going to the top of the highest peak on the Island. They're really easy to spot this time of year because they're red colored and they stand out like a sore thumb against the green. They get more mousey colored toward fall.

We hunted a different island out there, but on the way back, we had to wait out the weather in culross passage. This was in the middle of october, we went to the beach and actually seen a good amount of tracks in the snow, but we did not see a deer