Thread: sickness from black bear; can't find thread

Default sickness from black bear; can't find thread

Anyone got a link to a thread(s) that discusses alleged illness caused to a human from cleaning a black bear w/out wearing gloves? (Yes, the black bear was not wearing gloves; neither was the cat cleaning it.) I've searched w/ various phrases and can't find anything. A vet wants to know what the allegation is. Thanks. john

Have heard it called bear finger. I think this may the link you are looking for.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ion-from-Bears

Steve

OK for all the naysayers ... I'll re-post this pick

Bear Finger does happen !!!!!

wow! I've never had heard of it. Thanks for the heads up. Almost lost a hand in the 05 season to some sort of salmon poisoning. Got it in the wrist area. Worst pain I've ever had.

Johnnie, did that spread to the groin area like it's rumored to do?

Bag finger,salmon finger,bear finger and many others names. Not so much not wearing gloves but not protecting cuts on hands while cleaning game.Myself and many ranchers I have known have got Bangs from pulling calfs.Always wore work gloves but the germ still got to a open cut.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

You need to wear Latex, Vinyl, or rubber gloves. Not gloves with rubber palms. Surgical style gloves. Costco has good ones for $15 or so for two boxes of 100.

Default that's it

Steve: Thanks. That is the one. As for "salmon finger", I know when I stuffed my thumb between my 25 hp outboard and the transom bracket (about 1/8" clearance. sounded like a good idea at the time....) and split the bone in the tip of said thumb, my doc told me that I was NOT going to Chitina or cleaning fish for a while. He said if I got a Listeria bacteria in that open bone, he'd have to take the thumb off right quick. Apparently that is fairly common with folks that handle fish a lot, and pretty nasty if it gets roots in you. j

I know a guy that had to be Medi-Vac'd off the south end of Kodiak. He almost died. He said the infection looked like "flames" starting at his hand and going well up into his forearms. I always wear gloves when skinning Bears. Unless I don't have any...Ha ha

It's real,be careful.

Bighorse ... it didn't spread to the lower regions ... however I do believe it spreads to the upper regions ... causes something similar to Alzheimer's, Oldtimer's or Senior Moments ...

You can goggle "seal finger" ..... I think that is the same stuff.

Default finger infections

Muskeg......rodger that!

I've gotten a finger infection from coho before and I always wear surgical style gloves for field work. I hate falling asleep with the smell of animal fat and feces all over my hands.

I hope the CHPs out here are trained to ID the problem & then fix it!