Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay flyguys spill the beans!

Default Okay flyguys spill the beans!

Lets cut to the chase here. I live on the upper little su off Shrock rd. Once again I went to 3-rivers fly shop and spent a fortune on trout flies and all the bells and whistles. Mike set me up w/ the hottest flies for the occasion, tooth picks beads the whole 9 yds. Anyway I walk downstream to all my old standby holes at the log jams that always produced when I was a kid (using eggs of course). I got a visual on a couple hogs under the cover of the normal snags and logs, but i'll be darned if I could get a decent presentation w/ all the trees and brush. If my line wasn't getting twisted around the tip I would end up all hung up in the brush, talk about frustrating! There was absolutely no way I was going to entice one of these dandys to bite my fancy artificial egg patterns or beads it drives me nuts! I know for a fact if I had some eggs and split shot I'd have knocked boots. So what I'm asking is how in sam hill do you present a fly to fish under cover in a small stream? Mass rep points to the fly person that can get me over this frustrating hurdle. In fact if you can get my clumsy butt to catch one of these busters instead of spending time untangling my tip or fumbling thru my wader chesty pockets for my bifocals so I can tie on a new leader and/or another 3.00 fly. I was using sinking tip line which wasn't helping seeing how the water level was so low that the sink line would sink to the bottom and stop the fly all together lol

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Lets cut to the chase here. I live on the upper little su off Shrock rd. Once again I went to 3-rivers fly shop and spent a fortune on trout flies and all the bells and whistles. Mike set me up w/ the hottest flies for the occasion, tooth picks beads the whole 9 yds. Anyway I walk downstream to all my old standby holes at the log jams that always produced when I was a kid (using eggs of course). I got a visual on a couple hogs under the cover of the normal snags and logs, but i'll be darned if I could get a decent presentation w/ all the trees and brush. If my line wasn't getting twisted around the tip I would end up all hung up in the brush, talk about frustrating! There was absolutely no way I was going to entice one of these dandys to bite my fancy artificial egg patterns or beads it drives me nuts! I know for a fact if I had some eggs and split shot I'd have knocked boots. So what I'm asking is how in sam hill do you present a fly to fish under cover in a small stream? Mass rep points to the fly person that can get me over this frustrating hurdle. In fact if you can get my clumsy butt to catch one of these busters instead of spending time untangling my tip or fumbling thru my wader chesty pockets for my bifocals so I can tie on a new leader and/or another 3.00 fly. I was using sinking tip line which wasn't helping seeing how the water level was so low that the sink line would sink to the bottom and stop the fly all together lol

Go with floating line and splitshot. THe B or BB split shots alow you to adjust how fast your bead will move downriver. If you sinktip was stopping the bead, then you definitely had to much weight. Idealy you want the bead to flow evenly with the current of the river. Go with floating line, enought leader and your rig(beads or fly)with the adjustable split shot. Some people use bobbercators, I don't personally. I think your problem was the sink tip was to heavy for the current your were fishing in...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

swing a leech........

floating line and tiny shot, just like BIG COX said....hes go bead fishing down very well. Maybe try a choker?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Thanks fellas! I obviously need another spool for my Ross so I don't have to change out lines all the time. I'm gonna give the floating line and split shot w/ a bead another try. I still don't know how you guys get that bead under the cut bank and thru the snags where they're laying. Whats a choker jedi? Hey cut throat, as for swinging a leech um I have about 12 dollars worth of them swinging in the alders above the holding water

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Thanks fellas! I obviously need another spool for my Ross so I don't have to change out lines all the time. I'm gonna give the floating line and split shot w/ a bead another try. I still don't know how you guys get that bead under the cut bank and thru the snags where they're laying. Whats a choker jedi? Hey cut throat, as for swinging a leech um I have about 12 dollars worth of them swinging in the alders above the holding water
    I've seen 'Bows come out from under a cut bank as far as 4 feet to smash a bead. So you don't neccessarily need to make it all the way under (although it helps). Practice makes perfect. Here is the Choker: from Alaska Fly Fishing Goods.

Fish On!

Ohhh I know I know! Well maybe.....haha. I've always had trout come flying out and hit grubs. Nothing really else seems to have done the trick for me. Good luck. Oh yea and floating line and smaller split to adjust speed.

Fullbush,
    Don't get frustrated in those situations. Those fish are hanging there for a good reason, it is hard to hook them there, that is where they feel safe. Even the best of flyfisherman will pull out some hair as they try to get a good presentation to a fish that is nose deep in a log jam. That is why you will see tons of flies and beads hung up in the jams and trees above good cut banks. They are having the same problem you are. Just keep at it, the advice that everyone has given is a great start.

Spend some time practicing roll casting in the lawn then on a lake w/ plenty of room. You should be able to get a nice tight low roll which works well to present a fly under cover.

Watch the kids fish it. There is a trail about a mile east from Church Rd, off Shrock. There are three kids that live near the trailhead that have it down pat. Bottomline, when fishing small, tight streams you gotta fish it like a kid and forget all the grown up techniques. A kid will get in and get with it and not lollygag around. Use chest waders and get right up next to the fish. You won't spook them from the holes, as they are holding tight. Poke your pole tip right in there with them and use as short a line as possible.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

thanx guys! Apparently you can only give rep points so many times You guys have some coming
    I'm gonna hit it this afternoon in the rain and see if I ca finagle a bead under the logs

Pretty much every thing every one posted here is good advice, don't spend to much time on one color or fly hit it a few times and switch. Use a long leader any thing about the lenght of the rode is what I go by, adjust the split shot to get your bead off the rocks, and swing it. I would set up a strike indicator...that is just me thought. I use one really big corkie and a med sized one, I use them more to show me how my fly is drifting then as a strike indicator, if you know how to read it, it will help you spend more time in the strike zone as they say. And just on off the wall idea try using some thing that you would never think would work, remember murphy's law! LOL I mean bows are smart they learn real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by cut throatAK View Post
    swing a leech........
    This is the best advice on this entire page...
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Default Victory!!! Finally got the bead to work

You guys wouldn't believe the fun I just had (despite the wife being spitting mad cause I just got home) knockin boots w/ hog after hog! I went back down to the river and started flogging a black egg sucking leach about 4pm. I ended up at the hole w/ the downed spruce where I kept seeing fish the other day. I had a small king swim up and inhale my leech, I didn't get twitchy I just watched it, it moved the fly around in its mouth w/ its tongue then spit it out but it got caught on its tooth so it got irritated and shook its head and freed it from its tooth, that was pretty cool. What wasn't cool were the trout that were around the kings that could care less what I offered up. You talk about frustrating! You guessed it! I got the classic case of buck fever and started snagging alders, fouling my tip, getting my line caught between my leg, then of course getting snagged on the other bank making me have to wade through the holding water to free it because I left my leader material in the garage where I re-rigged the reel w/ floating line like bigcox said, anyway I went back to the black ESL and cast below the kings it was a really narrow spot and my line stopped I didn't have a strike indicator like (keniabowfan said I should) I lift my rod low and behold there it was about a 12" flashing,well it ate me up cause I wasn't ready. Even though I lost it I was still optimistic cause finally I got some action. Well I flogged for another 3 hours w/ no luck. I was on my way back up to the house to post a thread in the swap and sell section selling all my fly gear. I was walking back upstream and watched some kings spawning and saw a trout behind them. I stepped back and sat down and broke out the bead and split shot. I threw it in and i watched the bead go thru the kings and saw a trout come up to it and swim away. I went upstream a couple feet and made a swing and my line stopped I lifted it and there was a friggn explosion! A fish the size of a silver ripped line out, I stopped it and got a look and it appeared to be a huge dolly because it just didn't look like a rainbow it was sort of yellow on the sides anyway you guessed it, it headed for the logs and broke the line. I was beside myself! I re-rigged on the next cast the line stopped I set it and it was a huge whitefish probably close to 4 lbs. It fought for a second but not hard I released it and thought that other fish was way too explosive to be a whitefish. Next cast this time an aggressive take and I got a scrappy rainbow about 14 inches. It was the oddest bow I've ever seen, it was yellow and squirting milt, it didn't have any color in its gill plate either. I let it go and next cast another explosion this time it was about a 20 inch hog after a scrappy battle I got it in and it too was squirting milt and was yellow! I thought rainbows spawned in the spring I took pics w/ my cellphone but I have to go to MTA and get a wire so I can download them. I've never in my 47 years here fish like these. At any rate it was on and I was having a blast before my cell phone rang and my wife said she was eating w/o me.
    Thanks for all the advice, now I know what you guys have been talking about!!!! its like being re-born

Awesome post Fullbush,

Good on ya, it is a whole nother world, not a better world than the hardware just another one to enjoy. I need to explore that section of the river. Been wanting to take my single cat down just to see what you can't from the road. I have been sceptical about playing there as I don't wish to trespass.

Very good report, what was for dinner???

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Awesome post Fullbush,

Good on ya, it is a whole nother world, not a better world than the hardware just another one to enjoy. I need to explore that section of the river. Been wanting to take my single cat down just to see what you can't from the road. I have been sceptical about playing there as I don't wish to trespass.

Very good report, what was for dinner???

George
    george I'm pretty sure the upper river is to low for any kind of floating even though its been raining. Theres several public places to park and walk up or down stream. If you come up Church road to Schrock and make a left you go around the corner and theres public parking at the bridge. Theres another bridge at N.Sushana (the road I live on)
    its between church and Lucille then theres more access down by Sleepy Hollow golf course

Awesome! Loved the report! Glad you hung into some, I'm picturing some pretty weird looking fish though...

Fish On!

good to hear you finally got them to hit some thing. Now the kings are starting to drop eggs it should spark the bows, I might have to make a trip up the parks my self soon.

Fullbush,

Thanks for the info, will have to give it a go.

George

Nicely done fullbush! Congrats on your success. Way to stick with it - it's all that much more rewarding to hook up when you've had to work for it.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast