Thread: whittier or seward

Default whittier or seward

my next fishing trip id like to take to either whitter or seward i know very little about either of them so i figured id get some opinions

wed like to do some shore fishing for salmon and take a charter for some halibut, rockfish, whatever

which one of these place do you all think is better to go to for what i am looking to do, and does anyone have any charter recomendations for either place

Anticipation,

You are going to get a ton or replies probably on this and everyone has their own preference. Truth is, the both have some good fishing. I like Whittier for the scenery and the experience of PWS more than I do this fishing as the really consistently good fishing grounds are very far from port. And because of this, there are only a handful of charters that call the Port of Whittier home. I don't have any recommendations as the relatives and friends that have gone out of Whittier said the experience was not as good as Homer, Deep Creek, or Seward. The report often goes like this, "the boat ride was really long, and the fishing wasn't that great considering how the long the boat ride was," when questioned how things went. However, those far away spots are worth going to a couple of times a year as the fishing can be very good. But, in my opinion, those areas are too far for a day trip. Since I have my own boat, I prefer to anchor up, sit out back, eat some dinner and drink a beer or two in a secluded location. The shore fishing in Whittier will be limited.

Seward on the other hand has fishing that is pretty close to port. In fact salmon fishing is very close to port and often excellent. Good halibut fishing is only a couple of hours away (or less), ling cod fishing is excellent (closed in the bay) if you know where to find them, and rock fish are normally very cooperative around the capes out of Seward. A lot of folks like Crackerjack and swear by them. And they are good, but many friends of mine have had very good luck on the Tia Rose (Tim Berg's Alaska Fishing Adventures). There are probably other good ones too that are slipping my mind. I'm sure others will chime in. You will find some salmon fishing from shore in Spring Creek, the Sealife Center, the mouth of the Resurrection River, and other places near town.

I hope this helps. Have good one

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Anticipation,

You are going to get a ton or replies probably on this and everyone has their own preference. Truth is, the both have some good fishing. I like Whittier for the scenery and the experience of PWS more than I do this fishing as the really consistently good fishing grounds are very far from port. And because of this, there are only a handful of charters that call the Port of Whittier home. I don't have any recommendations as the relatives and friends that have gone out of Whittier said the experience was not as good as Homer, Deep Creek, or Seward. The report often goes like this, "the boat ride was really long, and the fishing wasn't that great considering how the long the boat ride was," when questioned how things went. However, those far away spots are worth going to a couple of times a year as the fishing can be very good. But, in my opinion, those areas are too far for a day trip. Since I have my own boat, I prefer to anchor up, sit out back, eat some dinner and drink a beer or two in a secluded location. The shore fishing in Whittier will be limited.

Seward on the other hand has fishing that is pretty close to port. In fact salmon fishing is very close to port and often excellent. Good halibut fishing is only a couple of hours away (or less), ling cod fishing is excellent (closed in the bay) if you know where to find them, and rock fish are normally very cooperative around the capes out of Seward. A lot of folks like Crackerjack and swear by them. And they are good, but many friends of mine have had very good luck on the Tia Rose (Tim Berg's Alaska Fishing Adventures). There are probably other good ones too that are slipping my mind. I'm sure others will chime in. You will find some salmon fishing from shore in Spring Creek, the Sealife Center, the mouth of the Resurrection River, and other places near town.

I hope this helps. Have good one
    very informative thank you sounds like seward is a better bet for my money, id be able to get alot more fishing in

As much as I enjoy Whittier, I'd have to agree Seward has more to offer. Halibut fishing out of Whittier in my experience hasn't been great, and that includes the looong runs out. Never gotten anything over 30 or 40 pounds, and rarely see them come in to the docks bigger than that. It can offer great rockfishing and lingcod fishing, however.

If you time it right, fishing for silvers from shore in Whittier can be phenomenal, but it can also turn off just as fast. Seward, I think, has more numbers overall and more places to fish from, which increases your chances, but I've never gotten into a full-blown frenzy from shore there like I have in Whittier.

Kind of a 6 of one, half-dozen of the other kind of thing. Since you're looking to charter for halibut, I'd say go with Seward where there are numerous quality charters to choose from.