Thread: kenai dipnetting

Default kenai dipnetting

trying the kenai for the first time. went yesterday and it seemed slow dipping even though the sonar says 24k fish went by. is it that way even with those numbers until there is a 40-50k fish day? i don't think i even saw 100 fish netted on one tide yesterday.

No, it usually is better than that with those kinds of numbers. The count, though, is done upriver a ways. Perhaps the numbers were influenced by fish that came into the river Monday afternoon and weren't counted until Tuesday morning? That's merely a guess, but from the reports on the river, it sounds like it was very, very slow. That's just the nature of the beast sometimes. Last year we hit it on the 14th and 15th (I think) and absolutely killed 'em. Our net was rarely in the water more than a minute without catching a fish - sometimes two or three. The day after we left the catch rate absolutely tanked, though, and people were going home with little to show for their efforts. Predicting the fishing there is tough at best, but the only way to know for sure is to stick your net in the water. Sometimes if you wait for a report that it is hopping, it's already too late by time you get there.

Default thanks for the info.

i figured it was something like that, but it sure was slow. have to hit er again.

You are correct Brian. By the time SH fished at the mouth the fish were well up river. You can't go by the sockeye sonar--it is 19 miles up river. It should be good dipping (and sportfishing) this weekend as the tides settle down and we move toward the peak.

i was wondering if you were allowed to float on one of those pontoon floating chair things out there at the mouth of the river i was out there on the 12th and didnt have much luck but i wasnt prepared and didnt have a real dipnet, which led me to wonder if you were allowed to get out there other ways then just using a longer handle, such as a tube or pontoon or small raft or drift boat

My family and I just got back from a week camping in Soldotna and dipping in Kenai. We dipped the opening day and got 9 fish (weather really sucked) , Sunday we got 8 and enjoyed some nice weather. On monday we took a break but heard reports of groups being out all day but doing fairly decent. We went out the next day and were successful with 28 fish in about 4 hours to fill our limit. We were on a boat with 2 nets- Trying going upstream a ways, once you get into the thick schools pick up 3-5 and then go back up and nail them again, if they are gone continue drifting downstream until you hit another school and repeat. Seems alot of people were doing much worse because they were afraid to get away from the pack and follow the schools~

Default boats

Quote Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
    i was wondering if you were allowed to float on one of those pontoon floating chair things out there at the mouth of the river i was out there on the 12th and didnt have much luck but i wasnt prepared and didnt have a real dipnet, which led me to wonder if you were allowed to get out there other ways then just using a longer handle, such as a tube or pontoon or small raft or drift boat
    don't think you can use any type of boat in the shore fishery area.

Here's the regs for boat use (including map) on the Kenai:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...se/kenaipu.cfm

~tr

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Was on the river yesterday, Wednesday. In 4 hours of dipping we kept 25 reds, 5 giant flounder (relatively speaking of course) and my buddy nailed a 30 pound king- weather was hot and sunny. Saw quite a few jumpers in the river on the way down, but we definitely had to put time in to get our fish.

I was on the North beach, started at 6 am, high tide was 6:30. No fish netted until about 8:00. Only got 5 by noon. A hardy local guy was swimming out in a wet suit and floated with his net down past the line of netters. He was more successful than anyone on the beach. Some local told me they got 25 in 1.5 hours Tues evening. If you want to catch fish just check my schedule and go the day before.
    NRA Lifetime Member