Thread: Need pack advice for Caribou trip.

Default Need pack advice for Caribou trip.

Me and a buddy are going on a drop hunt for Caribou. If we're successful in killing a Caribou, there will be two of us to pack out meat, cape, and head(s). The only thing we'll need to haul in our pack is lunch etc for the day, until a Caribou or two drops. Would like to be able to bring everything back to camp in one trip, and leave the rest for the furry critters. We're looking primarily at Badlands packs, 2200, 2800, or 4500. Which would you recommend.

If the 2200/2800/4500 numbers signify cubic inches, I'd go with the 4500.

Depending on the unit you're hunting, you may or may not be able to debone the meat, so be sure you understand the regs for that unit.

Good luck!

Frankly, I consider a 4500 cu in pack the very beginning of what is big enough for a hunting backpack. You really want to look into a quality frame pack if you want to pack a whole caribou out, on the bone, in one trip with two guys. It could be done with a 4500 cu in internal frame, but just barely.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have the 2200 now (one of my favorite packs) and the 2800 at one time. A great day pack or an over nighter, but nothing more than that really. I'd be looking at a bigger pack.

It is possible for two grown men to take a full caribou out on your back in one trip IF you have the right packing gear. I have done it a number of times. If you don't mind lots of trips, a cheap pack will do. If you want to see what a high end pack is like, I would recommend that you go to Barney's and look at their Alaska external frame pack. For me, it was an investment that has paid for itself many times over...I have used mine every year for 10-12 years carrying loads up to 125#s without any failures in the equipment (failures of my back are another thing). On the cheap end you can get away with a wood board frame that can be had any any Army/Navy Surplus type store...but the are not "fun" to wear IMHO. One can always toss a quarter over your shoulder, but a mile in the tundra will make you wish you had a good pack. If your bag on a pack is to big, it is no big deal...if it is to small nothing will fit. A pack smaller than 3,000 cubic inches won't hold much other than your day gear and game bags. You would be hard pressed to put a full cape in a bag this size I would think. I have a Badlands day pack that I use all the time...great quality too! Once the animal is down, out comes my Barney's though.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

How much you wanna spend? Personally, Barneys makes what is widely excepted as the best best external frame pack on the market. Only problem is I HATE external frame packs for everything except hauling moose quarters. You would be hard pressed to beat a mystery ranch NICE framed pack. The "Crew Cab" with load cells would make for a good day pack that could haul a bou back no problem if you are man enough to lift and shoulder it. If you want a bigger pack for real expedition packing then the NICE 6500 would work great. They are however premium packs and bring with them a premium price tag.

I agree with Roger. A Barney's is pretty hard to beat for just straight meat hauling. If you were smart you could get your buddy to purchase a Barney's freighter frame and you can haul all the stuff you would both need for dayhunts in your badlands 2200. That way you have the heavier load while hunting and he thinks he is getting a great deal by not having to carry the weight.....right up until you get a caribou down. Then you have by far the sweeter deal.

Hard to beat a good external frame when it comes to solid meat hauling or bear hides. The Barney's isn't that uncomfortable either, I don't hate them like LuJon they are at times not quite as agile in the mountains, but you don't often find me hanging by my toes (there are occasionally times it feels like it though) on the edge of a cliff so there isn't really that many times that I actually need the streamlined internal frame, but it is more comfy for me with 40-60 pounds in it than the Barney's for sure.

Of the three you mentioned the 4500 is the only one that comes close.

...and that wouldn't be my first choice by a long shot.

If you're a hardcore badlands fan, I'd choose a 4500 or an OX