Thread: Go Devil/Mud Buddy... Alaskan worthy?

Default Go Devil/Mud Buddy... Alaskan worthy?

Considering an 18' flat bottom with one of two mentioned motors. I have read articles and reviewed their websites full of testimonials. Who among you own/currently operate would share your ownership experiences. How do they handle rocks? As with props/jets, rocks and weeds have their toll, how about these motors, again, are they Alaska worthy?
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

I have owned both now I have a prodrive and I am very happy with it great for duck hunting and running the big su when I bear baiting. If you interested contact Shannon at 355-7839

had 20 hp go-devil, used it on 14 big jon and 18 foot jon boat much better on the 18. liked it alot but went thru 1-1/2 props a hunting season $$$$$ , abuse factor, traveling by myself tried to go too far in shallow spots when i should have got out and pulled it thru.
    got me into nice places but was slow.used it 3 seasons. now i have small jet boat with 175 hp inboard......better for what i do.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Alaska worthy

I've been running GoDevils since 1988 in the interior. If you are ever around Fairbanks or North Pole after the water is soft give me a call at 907 488-1884 and we'll go for a ride. Mudmotors fill a specific niche that makes them a good alternative for a lot of people. If you have an opportunity to get a ride in a boat equiped with a ProDrive try that too. I ran a 25 hp GoDevil on the Yukon from the Canadian border to the Bering Sea in 1996 and then turned around and came back to Fairbanks via the Tanana. That pretty much takes care of big water. Skinny water includes the McClaren, Jim, Sag and Ivashak among others. You need to try them to see if they are suited to you.

Now that is an interesting story! If you would, please offer the details. What did you have for a boat, how long did the trip take R/T, how much gas did you burn going down, and back up ???

I have gone upstream on the Yukon with a 10HP prop on a 19ft grumman canoe, and it was quite slow - 6-8 MPH (gps), depending on weather I was in the main river, or in the sloughs. And I was running pretty light.

Would love to hear more. Please elaborate..

Default Alaska worthy

Quote Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt View Post
    Now that is an interesting story! If you would, please offer the details. What did you have for a boat, how long did the trip take R/T, how much gas did you burn going down, and back up ???

I have gone upstream on the Yukon with a 10HP prop on a 19ft grumman canoe, and it was quite slow - 6-8 MPH (gps), depending on weather I was in the main river, or in the sloughs. And I was running pretty light.

Would love to hear more. Please elaborate..
    As much as I enjoy talking about my river adventures I don't want to hi-jack the thread, so if you want more info on the Yukon trip, check here.
    http://home.gci.net/~godevilalaska/T...ukon_trip.html

Thanks. That was quite an interesting read!