Thread: Am I Scewing The Numbers?

Question Am I Scewing The Numbers?

Recently I was told I needed to pick up black bear tags even if I didn't intend to go hunting for one. This is because if I did spook one up while scouting my potential moose hunting areas or while hunting a moose and needed to kill it, I'd be covered. (Obviously as long as it wasn't in defense of my moose kill which is clearly stated as illegal in just about every publicaton the state puts out on hunting.) So I did this. And, of course, I didn't kill a bear. Now I have to file a report on those tags, no problem. Don't get me wrong, I am all for filling out forms to help proper game management. My question is, isn't that going to scew the statistics for ADF&G? My concern is that these numbers lead to mismanagement of the population and/or habitat. What say you?

Hunted = "no". Harvested = "no". So you are not creating any numbers that would skew anything. Carry on. You're doing the right thing.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

If they are in season and you didn't move the site of the kill you can shoot a bear off of a gut pile. Provided you have a tag of course. You can't use a DLP defense for killing a bear out of season or in a closed area based on it stealing your game meat.

Like joat said, you are all set, hunted=no, harvested=no

What you were told is not bad information. Even though you don't plan to hunt for a bear, having a tag in hand can be useful in a DLP situation. It is much easier to just punch your tag, than it is to justify a DLP bear. For one, you won't need to get the troopers involved. As long as you don't hunt for bear you can indicate "No" on the report and there isn't any harm to the harvest statistics.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Back when bio's started to talk about skewing the numbers, i just figured they couldn't spell.

Wink

Goofy thought... if you weren't actually hunting bear and yet you used a chance encounter to fill your JIC tag, couldn't you then technically answer the questions; hunted = "no" but harvested = "yes". That might "skew" the numbers a bit.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!