Thread: time for reds to get to soldotna after nets are pulled

Default time for reds to get to soldotna after nets are pulled

Does anyone have a good idea how long it takes the reds to get to the sterling hwy overpass after the nets are pulled?

not sure but they swim about 2 miles per hour so I think about half a day? I was told if you look at the upper cook inlet sockeye sonar chart and a good number of fish pass that day ....well that day is the day you want to be there, and I heard 2 days for moose and bings.

Which "overpass"? There are 3 of them on the Sterling Hwy. (OK, just being difficult, I know you're talking about the Soldotna bridge)

The answer is... it depends. Fish travel at different speeds. They hole up, go backwards, go forwards, take union breaks, etc. The truth is, that the "nets" don't have a flippin' thing to do with how many fish are in Soldotna. That is a lie started and perpetuated by the guides as an excuse as to why they can't catch a fish at a particular time. The reality is that any tidal and influx variations at the mouth are pretty much smoothed out well before the fish get that high in the river. Just go put a hook in the water.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I have heard its about 3-5 days for Bings and about 7 for the Russian/Kenai confluence. With this 24k number yesterday it should be pretty hot in some spots. Good luck!
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

Good lord RustyMonkey you must have had to buy a new freezer w/ all the reds and halibut you've caught so far. I couldn't help but notice you have made 66 posts you better hurry up and post number 67 before your luck turns

Slow day at work so here you go fullbush........67.
    I do my best to get lots of fish. I take two coolers of fish to my Mom and Grandma in Hawaii every year. I also give fish to other family members who don't get to fish, either because of work or age. So every year I try to get enough fish to support my family for the winter. Smoked, canned, filleted, steaked, pickled......We love it all.

I also do my best to use all of the fish. Heads for halibut bait, rib and belly meat to smoke for dog treats.

Hope your summer turns out as good as mine has so far this summer fullbush!!

I wouldn't call it luck
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"