Thread: New Member: coming to Anchorage on the 26th

Default New Member: coming to Anchorage on the 26th

Hello,

First post. Glad to have found this board!!

I just took a new job and will be spending about two weeks a month up in Anchorage. My first week is the 26th. I'm going to have a little (probably not much) free time and would like to get out and go fishing. I am not sure of my transportation as of yet, and will probably stick pretty close to Anchorage for this first trip.

I was reading up on Ship Creek and was wondering if it is do-able with a fly rod & if my timing for silvers and pinks is good. If so, what flies do I need to tie up and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm bringing up a 4 piece 7wt and a 6/7 switch rod.

In return for info, I'm happy to provide any info I can on steelheading and stillwater angling in Oregon.

Thanks in advance!

S97

Anything helps... Thanks!

Hit the tides at bird creek!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Thanks!!

Anybody have any tips on Campbell Creek?

Make sure you go thru the regs carefully when you fish cambell creek. Some sections open earlier than others. Silvers should be around in august. Try down near cambell lake, you can park at the little park on Dimond. Go visit Mossy's Flyshop and ask him for some advice and flies to use, he will point you in the right direction.

Thanks!!

Just found out that I'll have a car while I'm up there so my options should be opening up. If I wanted to get out after work in the evening, where would be a good spot to hit within an hour's drive of Anchorage?

Thanks!!!

Just up the road from Los Anchorage there are a bunch (and I do mean a bunch) of different lakes in the Mat-Su valley so bring your float tube.

There will definitely be pinks around. Plenty of them in Bird Creek by that time, as well as some chums and silvers. For using a fly rod, I like to get up near the top of the tidal influence near the rocks on the west side. I've had good luck with pink or fuschia bunny leeches weighted with dumbbell eyes.

I've had good luck on Ship Creek around August 1, so there could certainly be some silvers moving in by the time you get here. Pinks will be in. Ship Creek is certainly doable with a fly rod.

Plan to get a bit muddy at both locations.

I don't know anything about Campbell, but I've heard the fish get pressured pretty hard in spots so can be a bit spooky.

As for flies - ESLs (egg sucking leeches), bunny leeches, marabou/popsicle flies, flash flies are all good starts.
    Colors - pink, black, purple, chartreuse, flesh/tan.

Sounds like you want to focus on salmon, but as TOMCOD said, plenty of good rainbow fishing both on stillwater and nearby streams. Bring your trout gear.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.