Thread: scopes and reticles

Default scopes and reticles

My favorite big game hunting scope is the Leupold 2.5 x 8 by 36 mm with the Duplex Reticle. I also have the German #4 reticle in a 1.5 x 5 by 20 mm Leupold. I have been thinking about getting another 2.5 x 8 Leupold with the Post and Cross Hair Reticle that the Leupold Custom Shop offers. Those Duplex Reticles are good, especially at the range, but I am not convinced they are the best for the majority of hunting I do. Which is moose in the timber. Just wondering what you guys like for your Alaskan big game rifle. I am pretty sure the Duplex Reticle is going to be what most are using. I am also not a fan of big scopes and big objective lens. Lots of my friends use them though.

i remember the first time i looked thru and 2.5-8, clearest and brightest scope i had ever seen. i talked to the guys at leupold and told them that, and they actaully said the 2.5-8x36mm is the best light gathering scope they have...even better than the 50mm's. why i can't remember but he said they just got the reciepe right for that combination adn it was their best selling scope. i know own two of them and haven't seen a swaro or any european scope come even close to it. duplex for me, kiss, keep it simple stupid. what i started with and probably what i'll finish with.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have Burris scopes with the Ballistic Plex Reticle, Leupolds with the Duplex Reticle, B&C Reticle and Circle Dot Reticle. Also have Sightrons with Target Dot Reticle.

They all serve a purpose. And that purpose is to help kill 4 legged critters.

I agree with .338 Mag. I have several scopes with the number 4 German reticle and for hunting, its really great. I'm working at taking the scope off my .375 and putting a Kahles 1.5 x 5 with the #4 reticle on it. It'll be great in timber and low light. Otherwise the Leupolds with the duplex do very well to and that's what's on most of the other rifles.

i wish i'd known that a last week, brwnbr. i just got a vx3 in 3.5-10x40. was thinking about the 2.5-8, but went for the bigger one instead. went duplex on the reticle. had a 2.5 fixed that i just pulled off that gun, has the german reticle. don't know which one i really like better, have both, comfortable with both.

I use and prefer the post reticle for big game hunting and have done so for nearly 50 years.....I'm able to find the reticle in low light as well as any other reticle yet there are no heavy crosshairs to obscure the field on running shots....Precision Reticle was a great source for reticles.

Ditto here......

We have a couple of the older Leupold scopes, I can't rember if they're 20 or 22mm tubes. I believe they are 1 x5, or 1.5 x 5. Have one on my favorite .375, that I carried for years before switching to a .338, and have the other one on a .458.
    The reticle in mine, which can no longer be found easily, has 3 heavy post; one in the 3 o'clock position, one at 6 o'clock, and the other at 9 o'clock. In other words it does not have the more traditional "4" posts...its missing the 12 o'clock. Between the three posts, in the center, its open where you aim at. This reticle system drws your eye to the center focus point easily & quickly. This style reticle has been one of my favorties for many years.
    If you remember some years back they used to call this scope their "magnum" scope, meant for rifles of the .338, .375-.416 and larger series. Back when we got these they could be bought directly from Leupold, now I think they come from thier custom shop. The field of view is MASSIVE, gather plently of light, and the insides stay together after repeated heavy recoil from large magnum rifles.

The European reticle in the "4a" style, instead of the more traditional "4" is another good looking reticle for practical hunting using a magnum rifle. We have 2 of the Kahles brand scopes w/ the 36mm pipe and 2x6 for the power. Seems to be a good scope. I was told Kahles has been marketing these scopes on the Amercian market to directly compete w/ Leupold; similar price, optic quality, and features. Now that I have both, it would be hard choice to purchase a Kahles again any time soon.....they are very comparable to the Leupold. Both fine scopes....I'm partial to Amercian made stuff when avilable.

German 4 reticle,classic reticle for big game