Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off Airport

Default Off Airport

I have started shopping for a plane, would like it to be capable of carrying myself and 1 passenger and say 100lbs of gear and be able to land off airport. My budget is around 35K, not looking for super cub performance, just something thats fun to fly and wont get banged up landing on gravel bars or tundra. Now the kicker, Im tall, 6ft 4" my legs are the problem, Long. I couldnt get my knees under the dash of a pa-12, so leg room will be an issue. Any recommendations would be great

I'm 6' 3", 250, and owned a Citabria 7ECA. It's no lazy boy, but roomy enough for a big guy.

If you don't mind Franklin engines, there are some NICE Stinson 108's for sale with guys asking from $17-26,000. They are great little airplanes with a somewhat quirky engine that can be replaced with a Lycoming if you want to commit to a long term relationship.

I second the Citabria/Champ/Scout line. I'm 6'4" 200lbs and am comfortable for up to about 4 hours in my 115hp Champ. Its no Super Cub, but gets around off-airport pretty good, and is relatively cheap to operate. If nothing else, its a great place to start!

Bob K.
    Anchorage, AK

I know several tall guys that have flown or currently fly Citabria's. The other nice thing for fat guys like me is that they are wide too. I also know several 6'4" guys that fly Cubs too, so it can be done. One notable excellent Cub pilot is Leif from 40 Mile Air. He must be at least 6'4".
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My vote would be a Pacer for the money its hard to beat. Places like Silver Salmon Creek beach are fine for a Pacer. I flew my Pacer up from Bangor Maine with a friend who is 6'3" -200 lbs and myself 220 6' and 125 lbs of bags. All wts. are an aprox. # and only a rough guess,at the time everything weighed in adhearing to wt. & bal limits. (yes , that was a faa disclaimer) One of the days we flew from Dawson Creek to Glenallen, 11.5 hrs Flt. Time, 22 Hour day. You could own one for $22,000, I have this very same one for sale. Tom

Another vote for the Citabria - I'm 6'4" and 260# . . .

Citabrias are a good little machine. How about a C-170 with a O-300?? Theres a SWEEEEET one for sale at birchwood Very low time engine, hes asking $40k? Whats everyones opionion on a Taylor craft for off airport stuff, I've never flown one but heck they are cheap and they seem to be everywhere around this state. Heck I saw a nice one on floats a few weeks ago!!

Take a look at the Interstate or Arctic Tern (same aircraft). Nice plane and very roomy. It has a wood wing spar which some folks don't like. The new planes have a metal wing spar. I don't know if the company sells a replacement metal spar for the old aircraft.

my understanding of the T-Crafts are that they dont have the room for someone my size, very tight fit for a tall person. I have thought about a 170, is Hull Ins about the same for 170's Cheif's Citabria's?

You want a citab 7gcbc. The ECA won't perform as well. The 170 can be good also. Little more room than the citab. Not sure on insurance. I think metal planes run higher for hull ins. than fabric.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

My Pacer is now listed for 19,700.00 ready to fly. Tom

I would suggest doing the butt test in any plane you are interested in buying. I thought I couldn't fit into a Cub (6'4" 240lbs) because all the other Cubs I tried on were too small. What did I end up buying? A Cub. I actually found one with a smaller instrument panel and voila.

When people ask me what size it is, I tell them it is a 48 Long.

The big thing is to be patient. I looked hard for over a year before I found my plane. Plane shopping has to be one of the most frustrating things on the planet. Plane owning......actually, I think the plane owns you. My wife is already jealous, and I have only had it for about two weeks.

I totally agree with JimT. DEFINTELY do the butt test to see if YOUR butt fits in it comfortably!!!

I also agree it will take you awhile to find THE plane!! VERY frusterating!!

a 170 with 180hp is a good one if priced right. i love mine, it gets off fast and lands as short as i want to, and will haul some meat. its not a cub and i cant fly it like a cub, but it isnt a bad bush plane at all.

The CFI I use for all my training suggested a 170, from what Ive seen so far a 170 will be a bit out of my price range, I can always save for a couple more years and look for a 170 then, just hate to wait a couple more yrs. Can anyone tell me if maintenance costs and Hull Ins more for a 170 as compaired to a Citabria or stinson? As far as Pacers go, how many of you find them squirely on the ground?

I don't know what insurance runs for a 170 but for my 7 GCBC it started out at 3200 and now is a bit over 2600 for full coverage with a value of 45K. If you looking for a 170 there is a real nice one at birchwood for sale for like 38,000K, but Im sure he will take less since it is a buyers market. In my opinion a citabria is one of the tamest tailwheel planes out there. Maintenance cost just depends on the shape of the plane and how often it gets flown. A pacer being a shorter plane is a little more to get use to on the ground but is a very affordable plane.

Terry

Maintenance costs will depend on the individual airplane. Airplanes are expensive to maintain. Old airplanes have lots of things that need attention. Low priced old airplanes often have had much of that maintenance deferred. New owners get to play catch up and it's never cheap. To top it off you almost never recover your maintenance investment when you sell. Find a good mechanic to help you decide and choose your airplane wisely. Good deals don't look so good after the first annual costs 20 grand. It happens. In any case, the purchase price is only the first step down an expensive path.

Insurance for any tail dragger is relatively expensive. For a low-time pilot, more so. If insurance costs are a concern you really should talk to an insurance source and get quotes for the models you're interested in with your flight time and hull value figured in. What my insurance costs is not an indicator of what yours will cost.

Insurance varies greatly. If u r low time expect to pay. If buying a cheaper airplane like it sounds go liability only till u build time. Call dean at falcon INS and get a couple quotes for diff airplanes. Then your info is from an expert with real quotes. He's a good dude.
    Pacers aren't bad at all. It's like any other plane. Once you fly one for a while you won't notice a difference. The "bad airplane" stories are mostly bs. Like PID Eluded to, any airplane can be well maintained or neglected. Pay a little more for a clean plane and you will make that money back and then some.

I quickly figured out that what I could afford I didn't want, and what I wanted I couldn't afford.

So I'm going the experimental route. In the end it will not be much cheaper than a quality used plane of the same style, but it will be new parts. I spread the cost out over several years and did not have to come up with it all at once.

Which experimental did you decide on? One problem with experimentals is that they lose their value on re-sale substantially. Another one is it usually takes much longer to build then advertised (years).

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    I quickly figured out that what I could afford I didn't want, and what I wanted I couldn't afford.

So I'm going the experimental route. In the end it will not be much cheaper than a quality used plane of the same style, but it will be new parts. I spread the cost out over several years and did not have to come up with it all at once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast