Thread: moose sinew request

Default moose sinew request

Well I thought I'd throw it out now, I know it's a little early. If you get so lucky to get your moose and would be kind enough to save your sinew both front and bag legs cow or bulls dont matter I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd like to back a few bows with it.

It's easy to get out, cut it at the knee and ankle (I usually do the ankle first), you may need to slit it up the side of the tendon without cutting it and she'll pull right out, I'll gladly pick it up. Either freeze it or lay it out to dry somewhere the birds wont steal it .

Thanks
    Dan
    tradbow@hotmail.com

I will try to remember to pull a couple out at moose camp this year for ya....we usually do pretty good....keep your fingers crossed.

Have you tried to use the sinews from the back?
    They are much easier to get, cure, use.

The wife and I get them from Caribou and just dont have use for the leg tendons, though a Moose might well be worth the effort.

Are you making a cretain pattern of Bow?

Best to break 'em down into threads for spinning,twining,braiding......

If your new at using Sinew, PM me with questions, weve figured out some downfalls as well as what works well, if your old hand at it, PM me anyways, I may be able to trade
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I have an osage stave and a dried snakeskin waiting for some sinew to build a bow as per Jay Massey's bows. I have everything I can find the man has written and am HOPING to float the 'moose john' even if there is NO moose left just for nostalgia's sake. When I do I plan on doing it with a similar bow.

I have built some strings from sinew, and obviously played with arrows and you're right for these two back sinew is great. Normally I dont bother with the back sinew though. I usually just glue on the feathers and if I'm going for a traditional look I'll give a few wraps of artifical sinew on each end. Atleast for now. And to be brutally honest, other then a few whitetails and turkeys, I havent shot or done much hunting up here in the past few years ugg! Hence the shout out for a moose or two's worth of sinew would be great, I'll gladly take more and pass it along. My moose spots are all but gone! Gonna be searching again this fall.

I'll gladly shoot you a pm on the subject being I havent backed a bow with it yet.

Ive seen a couple different ways of getting a sinew backed bow built.
    I didnt build them myself, but I have been rather involve, via my cordage making skills, to have been "in on" both a laminated sinew/glue backing with wood, sinew and horn as well as a cordage tentioned backing of a traditional double recurved Eskimo bow made of wood, sinew and antler. I basicly provided/twind and braided the sinews and watched my pard Chuck "build" them, and both were very interesting indeed.

Personally I have caught a few Caribou with only a fiberglass kids recurve of 50lbs, for the heck of it at camp, 'cause I could, and it was fun too.
    Mostly I like to Hunt and build stuff, its great when both go together
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I don't kow where you are or the time period you are looking at but I have a moose peermit for Ft Rich late season hunt and you can come and harvest them yourself. I can leave the lower legs attached when I sled out the quarters and youcan come get what tendons you need ior want.

Neat lil' ol'e Vid

Bill I'm in north pole. So if you get lucky let me know. You never know where I'll be that time of year...ok ok, I'll likely be working LOL!

GG, good stuff as usual!

wanted to bump this back up as people are headedout. My fall has been cut short due to obligations I need to tend too atleast for now. I'm not looking for a pile though I'll greatly grab what I can and pass it along to those also looking for it. If you do kill one and are close to town and think of it, either grab them or email me and I'll run out and get the legs and cut them out.

Thank you again!