Thread: Seward, pinks and chums, when will these be on the beaches?

Default Seward, pinks and chums, when will these be on the beaches?

I like to go snag these on tonsina creek point. Does anyone know when they will be arriving. Yes i am basically catching and releasing these monsters. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciate.

I caught some chums and a small silver over at Spring Creek last weekend.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

If you intend to catch and release only, why snag? Snagging is very physically destructive to fish. Cast lures or flies instead, more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    If you intend to catch and release only, why snag? Snagging is very physically destructive to fish. Cast lures or flies instead, more fun.
    Agreed. Whatever the legality, I think snagging should be reserved for putting meat on the table or in the freezer. Pinks and chums are easy enough to catch on conventional tackle (flies, spinners, spoons, jigs, etc.). If you're just C&R for fun, there's no need to snag. Snagging is hard on fish, is going to lead to higher mortalities, and if you open up the belly to the water you're sterilizing any eggs inside.

True, pinks and chums are considered "junk" salmon, compared to the other species, but they still deserve our respect. Those fish have overcome a lot of odds in order to make it back to spawn.

Stepping off the soapbox... I do agree that catching pinks and chums (especially on fly gear) is a blast!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Just to add, if the salmon aren't being concentrated anywhere, you're much better off making them come to you anyway then casting a snag hook at nothing. I was at Spring last week and had consistent follows and strikes with spinners while the snaggers next to me got nothing. All I saw at the time were chum.

We hit two humpies off the point yesterday - a nice dolly, too.
    Some jumpers, here and there. Nobody else we saw hooked anything.
    I gotta agreee on the C&R snagging. If you're gonna snag, keep what you catch. Just pitch a spoon or a spinner at 'em if you're gonna C&R.
    ... just sayin'

i am pro snagging but definately for food not sport this is like dipnetting then releasing your fish what was the point