Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RC566 question...

Default RC566 question...

I was lucky enough to draw a caribou permit for unit 13 this year (RC566) but when I received my permit in the mail the other day, the bag limit was listed as one bull caribou. In the reg. book it shows the bag limit as being one caribou, the way it has been the past few years. Just wondering if anyone had any clues on why this would be different?

You can call F&G to be sure, but I would be sure to go with the rules as written on your permit. If I recall correctly, that hunt was limited to bulls only last year as well. It might not have said so in the regulations booklet, but that was the case for the permit holders.

On a side note, take a look at the two threads in the management forum about this hunt. There is a possibility that they're going to have to change the structure of the hunt due to a recent lawsuit. It has happened before that they had to nullify the winners list. That isn't what will necessarily happen this time around, but stay tuned in case things change.

If you look at the Tier I hunt supplement that you used to fill out your application, under the "Hunt Conditions" column, it states "Hunt may be restricted to bulls only."

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/permi...tier2_supp.pdf

As Brian stated, go with what is on the permit (unless that lawsuit nullifies everything) and I also seem to recall that it was a bull-only hunt last year as well.

My RC566 permit also states bull only.

I cannot believe that I stil have a chance.

Exclamation Tier 1 hunt not happening....

Tier 1 and community harvest were ruled against in court as illegal on Monday, so the hunts will probably not be happening this year. That is, unless the court appeal gets a stay for this year in the next week or two. Hold on to your permit as you never know what might happen...

Hats off to Mr. Manning for his devotion in righting this wrong. Two thumbs up to the Judge for applying the law. The Board of Game need some feedback of how you feel of their actions regarding this deliberate, unlawful act.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I'm just wondering if they will ever get this particular hunt back to one that is legal and is fair for everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by akskidoo View Post
    I'm just wondering if they will ever get this particular hunt back to one that is legal and is fair for everyone...
    Well, they defilitely took a step (only one of many necessary steps) in the right direction with this decision. Unfortunately for me and many others it happened when we were on the side of benefiting from it. It's the right decision, just wish it happened last year when I didn't have the permit to lose in the first place.

Just got back from Glenallen for some scouting and some fishing and from what I heard this hunt is almost dead. I have been up here for 3 year now and this is the first tag that I have drawn, I spent the last fews days doing some scouting to narrow down my access points and decided to stop into the Glenallen F&G office to talk shop. They informed me that the hunt is halted due to this lawsuit and that it may not happen this year. I understand the reasons for the lawsuit and have been educated on all aspects of either side, but for those individuals that were very excited for this hunt, and have little experience, this is a perfect introduction hunt to Alaska. What is a guy suppose to do now? This hunt is in limbo, I am very green on hunts up here, and I don't have time prior to opener to research a secondary hunt. Once again the process seems to let those encouraged by it down.

If you have the BOU permit are you still supposed to hunt moose in unit 13 only? Is that what the lawsuit is about? I got the permit and did not want the restriction I like to hunt moose in 14 and 16 got some good spots in 13 but extremely efficiant at home. If the hunt is off does that mean the other game species restrictions that go with the permit are now gone.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Here is a link to the court documents listed on ADF&G website http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/news/gmu13courtdecision.pdf
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by sledhands View Post
    If you have the BOU permit are you still supposed to hunt moose in unit 13 only? Is that what the lawsuit is about? I got the permit and did not want the restriction I like to hunt moose in 14 and 16 got some good spots in 13 but extremely efficiant at home. If the hunt is off does that mean the other game species restrictions that go with the permit are now gone.
    Nobody knows yet. We will have to see what is decided once ADF&G has a chance to work through the details. At this point, there is still a possibility that the State will get a stay of this order that would allow this year's hunt to go ahead as planned, and then make the changes, whatever they end up being, for next year. Who knows. Time will tell.

It is very unlikely the State will get a stay on this decision. The holding says the Board of Game clearly violated the Alaska Subsistence Law statute when it changed from Tier-II to a Tier-1 every four year lottery. When is the BOG going to realize that it cannot change the law by making up regulations that clearly violate the law that our legislature has set! And the residency-based Community Harvest Permit that gave 50% of the annual Nelchina caribou harvest to the Native villages EVERY YEAR while all others got eligibility into a once every four year lottery - blatantly unconstitutional as the court said. This entire decision rightfully makes the Board of Game look like a bunch of fools!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskasourdough View Post
    When is the BOG going to realize that it cannot change the law by making up regulations that clearly violate the law that our legislature has set!

This entire decision rightfully makes the Board of Game look like a bunch of fools!
    Only when Alaskan's once again begin demanding Lawful Regulations. As opposed to resigning their Constitutional Rights. Perhaps it will garner attention, when individuals/boards are crimminally charged for their absolute disregard of their responsiblities to the Citizens of the Great State of Alaska.

"fools"? Nope, I have something much, much more Sinister in mind.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

If I remember right, one of the stipulations of that Tier I permit was that you couldn't apply for any other moose/caribou permits and you couldn't hunt caribou anywhere else in the state. So now you may have a bunch of Tier I permit winners that didn't apply for anything else and are now stuck with no permits? Good thing there are some harvest areas in the state.

Makes you wonder when the department of Fish & Fish will ever get this right.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    If I remember right, one of the stipulations of that Tier I permit was that you couldn't apply for any other moose/caribou permits and you couldn't hunt caribou anywhere else in the state. So now you may have a bunch of Tier I permit winners that didn't apply for anything else and are now stuck with no permits? Good thing there are some harvest areas in the state.

Makes you wonder when the department of Fish & Fish will ever get this right.
    Not quite. The stipulation was that IF you drew the tier I permit, you could only hunt moose and caribou in unit 13. There was no restriction on applying for and possibly drawing permits in other units. In my case, I applied for moose in different areas as well as other caribou hunts, but as a result of drawing the Tier I caribou, I am stuck (at least until this issue is sorted out) hunting moose and caribou in unit 13. Fortunately for me, I also drew a moose in 13, so I WAS in good shape for a while there.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Not quite. The stipulation was that IF you drew the tier I permit, you could only hunt moose and caribou in unit 13. There was no restriction on applying for and possibly drawing permits in other units. In my case, I applied for moose in different areas as well as other caribou hunts, but as a result of drawing the Tier I caribou, I am stuck (at least until this issue is sorted out) hunting moose and caribou in unit 13. Fortunately for me, I also drew a moose in 13, so I WAS in good shape for a while there.
    But now that the permits have been invalidated by this court decision, the permit winners of this hunt should be able to hunt moose or caribou in other areas of the state, right?

But now that the permits have been invalidated by this court decision, the permit winners of this hunt should be able to hunt moose or caribou in other areas of the state, right?
    We're jumping to conclusions here. All we are going to accomplish by trying to decipher the outcome before the real information is available is to confuse ourselves and others. Let's wait until there is some official word on what the results of the decision really mean. ADF&G and/or the BOG should be making public some information before too long that should help to clarify the direct impacts. As it stands, my permit is still valid until I get something that officially says otherwise (EO, letter from the State, etc...).

If I were to hazard a guess, and it would ONLY be a guess, I would say that the fall RC566 hunt will not happen this year. Also, the moose hunting restriction tied to it will be removed allowing RC566 permit winners the opportunity to hunt in other units. I was fortunate enough to draw a moose permit in unit 13 along with my RC566 this year, so I am going there either way, but I just hope that I will be able to hunt caribou along with the moose. Don't get me wrong, I am happy about the court decision, just a bit selfishly disspointed that it may cause me to lose my opportunity at a caribou. There really isn't a "fair" way to resolve things at this point and it looks like myself and others are going to be on the shorter end of things this time around. That's the way it goes though.

A quick call to F&G would be in order to verify this (get a name and date of who you contacted to give you the ok on it) but man if you are still locked in to unit 13 for moose due to a hunt that will likely not take place would be ludicrous. Which would be on par with everything associated with this hunt. So we'll see what happens.

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/news/gmu13courtdecision.php

this is pretty cut and dry to me.....tags are no good now ....may be good later.....we should be informed of any other changes before august 10....

"currently invalidated" means to me that if i dont' hear otherwise those who were once permit holders of this hunt may shoot moose and caribou elsewhere

i feel bad for becky up in glennallen who is going to have to field all of these phone calls
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast