Thread: Bunk or Post style guide-ons?

Default Bunk or Post style guide-ons?

I have a 24ft 5000 lb. boat and figured right off the first loading that I need Guide-ons. What works for you folks out there with the big boats? I am not sure wether to go with bunks or post style guide-ons. Any thoughts would be a great help. Not going to be doing the tractor launch just want to get loaded and out of the way in Homer and such places. Thanks. Jeff

Full side bunks, but put a post guide at the end of each one. Posts by themselves don't work very well as you can still get crossed up on the trailer. Bunks by themselves can be difficult if they are low enough to be underwater where you can't see them or the launch angle is such that you catch them on a chine. So the posts get you started and give a visual reference while the full side bunks capture the hull over the trailer.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

i have bunks on two of trailers addition of posts would be very helpful. my ocean boat bunks are pretty tall and when my son built them he put an unattached piece of pvc pipe on rear upright so it can act as a vertical roller. shorter bunks on jet boat trailer will be under water at times and become non functional. i would say bunks for sure and if tall enough may work alone other wise have post as well.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I also added bunks to my 2696 pilothouse trailer within a week of putting it in the water, it sure makes recovering the boat a heck of a lot easier, especially if there's wind.

I dont need posts because the bunks I bought are big beefy jobbies and are tall enough to stick out of the water even on a steep ramp, I'd have to half submerge the tow vehicle to have the bunks go under water.

I bought them direct from EZloader, they sent a kit of everything I needed including the carpet. Only thing I had to buy locally was the 2x6x12 wood boards. I had it sent via a Alaska Pacific Freight Forwarders saved a bundle on shipping - takes a while to get up here tho.
    If you want to buy locally Deweys also has their "deep creek" bunks that arent too much more than what I paid +shipping. Marita also has beefy bunks for sale, all the others I found around Anchorage were little puny bunks on 2x2 galvinized posts.

They STRONGLY recommended NOT to get pressure treated lumber, turns out the wood treatment will stain a fiberglass boat and corrode a aluminum boat.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    They STRONGLY recommended NOT to get pressure treated lumber, turns out the wood treatment will stain a fiberglass boat and corrode a aluminum boat.
    A word of warning-- Be careful of carpeted bunks. The glue in the carpet in conjunction w/ the salt water will leave some nasty corrosion on your aluminum hull as well, believe me when I tell you I've seen it 1st hand. They make plastic bunk covers to prevent this. I've seen the at West Marine. They are an option from the big 3 trailer manufacturers--Easyloader, King and Tufftrailer

Thank you for the advice one and all. I am real green on this stuff and need any advice I can get.
    It is great to have this forum to get pointers before spending money :O)
    Now I know how to go about my purchase. Jeff

I'm not advocating not getting guide-ons for your trailer. I would just point out that when retrieving your boat, you don't have to completely submerge your trailer. I put mine about half way in and basically drive it all the way to the winch stand. Once the V is in the groove it guides itself on. I can retrieve my 2825 by myself quite easily. If you use the tractor launch at all, they are required though.