Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sheep rifle on the cheap?

Question sheep rifle on the cheap?

Okay, so I want an excuse to buy another rifle and what better subject than ultra-light sheep rifles!

7mm-08 in
    Marlin XS7Y (Y for Youth) at 6.25 lbs and @$300
    Talley ultralight rings/bases at 4 ozs and @$45
    Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40 at 13 ozs and $200

Total: 7.3 lbs for $550.....Where am I going wrong???? Remember I said "on the cheap"!

I put together a similar outfit for my wife, using a 4X Leupold for the scope.

Load 139 gr Hornadys for sheep and caribou, and 160 partitions for moose and bear, in necked down WW 308 brass. Best part is the rifle puts both bullet weights into the same 1 1/2" group at 100 yd.

Ted

Looks good to me. Very affordable setup for sure. I have a Marlin XS7 in .243. Seems like a lot of rifle for the $$$.

Great set up!
    I have to say though, I see lots of guys talking about the 7mm-08 for wives and kids, BUT, why not for "The Men"? Its a great caliber, not far behind a .280R, if at all. Load up some 160s or 175s and It'll get yer Moose.
    What gives? How did the 7-08 end up a kids or wives cal?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Yukoner,

I agree, the 7-08 is a great caliber all round. Actually my wife and I would both be shooting that round had it not been for my already having a .308 and it was just easier to by one more .308 rifle so we can share rounds than to sell the .308 and buy two 7-08s.

I had one of the camo XS7's in a 7mm-08. I bought it to play with more than anything. I wanted to see what was wrong with them...I mean the simple fact that I got it for under $300 indicated that there had to be something adversely wrong with it. However on the contrary! The bolt was smooth, it fed very well, it felt good when shouldered and it shot under an inch. As far as I'm concerned they are the best budget minded rifle on the market and better than some guns costing much more.

I think it's a rifle that will serve you well for years to come!

I looked around for an inexpensive rifle and settled on the Marlin. The Stevens model is similar but the reviews were highly favorable on the XS7 series. The XS7Y (Y for youth) weighs a whopping 4 oz less than the full lenght model, and is 40.5" overall vs 42.5".

Yukoner, I agree that the 7mm-08 has a "reputation" as a child/female rifle. However, after looking long and hard I finally decided on the 7mm-08 for a sheep rifle. I must also admit that I already have a .243 Win and a .270 Win, or I would have probably opted for the .270 version. However, since I have 4 young nephews/2nd cousins that are begging me to take them deer hunting in Okla, I thought this 7mm-08 "sheep" rifle would be perfect. Personally, I never considered the 7mm-08 until this purchase, but after comparing it to the .308 round I feel the 7mm-08 is just the ticket! In addition, I orderd 5 boxes of the Hornady Superformance 139 gr SST's, at around 2910 fps, for my all-around load.

Maybe look at the new Redfield 3-9 scope made by Leupold and save $50?

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

This past spring I purchased my son a Marlin XS7Y, added the talley rings and a Redfield 3x9x40. So far that little riffle has impressed me greatly for the money. Very accurate, lightweight, and cheap.

I think you'll be more than satisfied with the set up you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Targetman View Post
    Okay, so I want an excuse to buy another rifle and what
    Total: 7.3 lbs for $550.....Where am I going wrong???? Remember I said "on the cheap"!

Looks like a great deal to me!
    I spent 2 hours yesterday loading some 308's and 280's and looking at data for the 7mm08, I'd like to have one but I just can't see a need as the 308 is more versatle, ammo more available, and I already am set up to reload it. If I want to reach out a bit further the 280 does the trick! For critters I can't tell a 1 inch diff at 300 yards between the 308 and 7-08..
    Too many choices and not enough money!!!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Cheap is a realitive thing I guess, My current sheep setup is a Tikka 270WSM w/ a Leupy 2.5-8x36, it is a few ounces lighter than your setup I believe and I have under $600 in it (including optics)!

My next one has a budget of ~$1600 and will be a Kimber 84M montana 308 w/ 2" lopped off the barrel and I may have the action smoothed a bit or some trigger work done if I feel like I need it. Optics will be a Zeiss 2.5-8x32 which should be showing up at the house in the next week or so($400 brand new). The added investment on the new rifle should cut a little more than a pound off my setup and I will be able to share ammo w/ my wife and several buddies which can come in hand on a fly out. That and I am already set up to reload 308.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    ....As far as I'm concerned they are the best budget minded rifle on the market and better than some guns costing much more....
    I have owned, shot, and hunted with a good number of Stevens 200s, Vanguards, and Marlin X series rifles, as well as many costing two or three times the price.

Without question, the Marlin is the best rifle for the price, by far.

Ted

Better get them quick as Remington is shutting down the Marlin factory.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Hi Thomas,

They are now owned by Remington, who is owned by Cerebus Capital Management, L.P. The factory in North Haven, Connecticut has been closed, but Marlin has not ceased production. In fact they have recently began production of the X series in stainless steel, especially for you Alaskans.

Hopefully, it will stay that way!

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Great set up!
    I have to say though, I see lots of guys talking about the 7mm-08 for wives and kids, BUT, why not for "The Men"? Its a great caliber, not far behind a .280R, if at all. Load up some 160s or 175s and It'll get yer Moose.
    What gives? How did the 7-08 end up a kids or wives cal?
    The 7-08 is a higher pressure version of a 7x57. Nothing wrong with either of them. Bell brained elephants with a 7x57.
    Now what ?

Just another plug for the Marlins. I bought an XS7 in .243 when I got home from Afghanistan, and I couldn't be happier. For Less than $500 including the new Redfield scope it wears, I have a rifle that puts my 100 gr. Nosler partition handloads (IMR 4350) into a 3-shot group under half an inch at 100 yards. I wouldn't expect more from a custom rifle priced in the thousands.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Marlin and Savage have really been stepping it up ( as far as reviews and 3 purchases from each manufacturer ) the past few years. The thing I really enjoy about their firearms is the accuracy and the price. The new Savage edge in .223 is an absolute shooter, the savage bolt .22 will knock over pop cans at one hundred yards, the marlin XS7 in 30-06 is fantastic, and the marlin bolt 17 hmr is increadibly accurate. I am really loving these budget firearms made in america!

I have no doubt you will love your rifle! I diddnt take time to read the rest of the thread, but if you have not decided on a rifle yet, really consider the Savage Edge. I think I like it a little more than my XS7. Then again it could just be im excited to whack some coyotes with it because I just bought it! They are both quality rifles and you will be happy with whatever you chose from the two. Oh and sportsmans in anchorage have the Savage Ege on sale for $230 bucks.

Mosin-Nagant 91/30 ($70). ATI black composite stock ($49). Handle/Scope conversion kit ($45). Leapers 3x9x40 scope ($25). Total: $189. That will get you minute of sheep on the cheap!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 ($70). ATI black composite stock ($49). Handle/Scope conversion kit ($45). Leapers 3x9x40 scope ($25). Total: $189. That will get you minute of sheep on the cheap!

Ron
    Plus he will be 1/2 way to his 50lb fly in limit!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Plus he will be 1/2 way to his 50lb fly in limit!
    That is funny : )

Stranger likes his finn mosin for musk ox, and the idea of 147gr to 203gr sp give you a good range for sheep to black bear. I bought my sons M38's one year. Guns of the World on the history channel says there are almost indestructible... Plus if he drops it off the mountain he may not miss it......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast