View Poll Results: Alaskan Handgun use Poll

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing, I already have my rifle. Why carry more?

18 20.45%
  • 44 magnum or hot 45 Colt

28 31.82%
  • Something larger than 44 mag like 454, 480, 500

23 26.14%
  • 38 spl / 357 mag

7 7.95%
  • a 22 kit gun for grouse type game

3 3.41%
  • a 9mm, 40 cal, 45acp for two legged critters.

9 10.23%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Handgun Use Poll

Default Alaska Handgun Use Poll

Ok I known it's been done before...

But I am checking out an idea I have regarding what us resident Alaskans actually carry,,, vs what visiting folks think they should carry....

You are going out for a two week trip into the sticks. It is September.

You are being flown out for a combination moose hunt, fishing trip and float trip. Basing from a raft but walking every day for a few miles.

You are already taking your favorite rifle.
    You are being accompanied by a friend who has her / his favortite rifle.
    Plus a 13 year old with a 22 rifle.

As far as a Handgun,,,,What (if anything) would you take from what you now have available. Not what you might wish you could afford.

Say, if you are from out of State or only a part timer,,, could you say so in follow up threads....
    Last edited by Float Pilot; 01-30-2007 at 18:08.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I would only carry a handgun if I was not carrying a rifle. No one in there right mind would carry one for protection if they had a rifle to use at the same time.
    That being said if I carry a handgun it is a S&W 500
    Tennessee

So you have already thrown off the poll data from the stated senerio.

So in the case listed you would not carry another shooting iron nesides your favortie rifle??

I always carry my Smith 629 44 mag in a chest holster. with its short barrel, 4", and fairly light weight I can carry it all the time without really noticing it. The chest holster I have keeps it out of the way of the shoulder straps and above the waders, its about the best setup I have ever seen. I carry two speedloaders of 300gr cast loads and a small folding knife on the holseter straps.

If I carry a rifle, the pistol stays in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    I always carry my Smith 629 44 mag in a chest holster. with its short barrel, 4", and fairly light weight I can carry it all the time without really noticing it. The chest holster I have keeps it out of the way of the shoulder straps and above the waders, its about the best setup I have ever seen. I carry two speedloaders of 300gr cast loads and a small folding knife on the holseter straps.
    +1, except the folding knife on the holster strap.

I carry a 44 mag in a chest holster. Rifles get set down so you can do things like skin out game, taking care of your "business", cleaning your fish, cooking dinner, setting up camp, digging out your spotting scope, brushing out a trail, etc, etc, etc. A pistol in a chest holster, or similar, will always (or should always) be on your person, making it a great addition to your personal protection plan. Maybe not a replacement for a rifle, but definately an additional tool in your tool box. To me, a hunter/outdoors man not carrying a backup handgun into the field is like a mechanic heading to the field to complete a repair with a crescent wrench, but leaving his channel locks at home. Or maybe better... a scaffolder building scaffold while wearing a safety harness but never hooking it to a proper anchor point. Sure, you could build scaffold your entire life without falling a single time, but that ONE time you fall, you'll wish you had hooked up that lanyard! (if you survive)

Its all about consequences and rewards. Not carrying a backup pays immediate and positive rewards, making it a very easy choice. You don't have to lug the extra weight, you don't have to spend the money on the gun/holster/ammo, etc, and you realize that benefit immediately. Every time out. The consequences may never be realized, and if they are, it may not be for a very long time, maybe hundreds or even thousands of trips into the woods, but the consequences could be great, maybe life changing, and quite possibly fatal.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

I carry my 500 mag. Your scenario is precisely why I bought it.

Thumbs up

I always carry my 500 mag while on trips into the bush . Will do it again this year on 4 hunting trips .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

My 480 has been a good companion for many years.

I keep a mild load in one chamber that has accounted for 3 spruce hens. Haven't had the opportunity to take big game with it yet.

for the last 30 yrs or so I have always had a handgun on me or by me or in my pack. My rifle is the first resort and handgun last. I checked the .44/.45LC due to them being the best of carry. Had the superredhwk 454 but what a lug to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    So you have already thrown off the poll data from the stated senerio.

So in the case listed you would not carry another shooting iron nesides your favortie rifle??
    Correct. I would never burden myself down with a handgun if I had a rifle. Years ago I did carry both all the time. I would like to think I am older and wiser But I respect if others want to carry both.
    Tennessee

Default carry gun

I have always carried a .44 Super Blackhawk in a crossdraw holster. The several times I have had to draw it, I never noticed the barrel length or cocking it for the first shot. One time I drew it on a free ranging herd bull down at Kachemak Bay. He was starting to do the pawing and snorting routine. He seemed to know what was happening and backed off and went away. Whew!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I didn't vote because of the way the poll was set up. My 2 favorite cartridges were not listed in the same question.

My all time favorite carry revolvers are my Blackhawk in 41 Magnum and my Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Both are loaded with very heavy for caliber hard cast bullets.

Sure I own the latest gimmicks like the 460 and 500 S&W but the 2 I carry the most are what I consider to be reality.

Actually I'm a little backwards. I hunt with either a handgun or a longbow, so the rifle stays home.
    If I'm hunting with the Contender pistol or bow there is usually a DW .44 mag. on my hip.
    If I'm hunting with my 8&3/8 mod 29 with Ultra Dot sight I don't carry another gun.
    Someday when the funds come together there may be a .480 in my future.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Allen..

Actually the 45 colt was included in the 44 mag check box. Since a hot 45 Colt and 44 mag are basically in the same ball park, plus the firearms themselves are about the same size.

I should have included the .410 caliber magnum (41 mag) in the same line as the .429 caliber magnum (44mag). The .019 not being really that big a deal for basic carry habits.

I could not edit that part later when I thought about it. So just vote the 44 and 45 colt box...

Sometimes I carry my 38-40 (38WCF) single action army around, but I left out the stray calibers...

.44 mag Taurus Titanium. What bgreen said.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Float Pilot:
    I like your polls. The different perspectives are interesting.

I voted for the .357, because thatís what I have, and can shoot it easily. (Ruger Blackhawk with a 6.5 inch barrel) Anything over a 44 Mag, or 45 LC, is too much, IMO. I doubt Iíd get off more than one nervous shot, due the horrific recoil.

Iím like Snowwolfe, in that when I hunt, with my rifle, I canít see packin a pistol along too. Itís heavy and gets in the way. When I first came to Alaska, the thinking was that everyone was supposed to carry a pistol to finish off an animal that wasnít quite dead from the rifle shot. One day I decided that if I had to finish something off, Iíd just do it with my rifle.

When Iím not hunting I carry my 30-30, believing it will be more effective than a huge pistol. When that isnít practical, fishing for example, I carry the 357.

Howsomever, I do think that bgreen has added a good point to the mix. You just never know.

Still, I betcha there are some people who have had close encounters that wished they had their rifle with them instead of that puny handgun.
    Smitty of the North

Maybe I am the only one, but when I go anywhere in the woods it is automatic to take my 44 mag, no matter what long rifle or shotgun I take. It almost never leaves my person while fishing, riding, hunting or whatever the activity may be. Its more of a habbit passed down from my father than anything. He had me consistantly shooting and carrying an easily handled 44 mag while fishing, hiking, and other outdoor activities before I even had my drivers permit. Out of all the Alaskan Bear Tale stories I have read I can completely see where a sidearm would come in handy even if you are carrying a high powered rifle or slug loaded shotgun.

629 .44mag 4"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast