Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i been thinking about a new rifle

Lightbulb i been thinking about a new rifle

here the deal i looking for a new rifle for large game

so here are the calibers and rifle action

a bolt action rifle in 375.h&h cal

or

a lever action rifle in 45.70 cal

so which calibers would pick as a back up rifle for use in big game hunting ..both rifle are going to have work done them to make more to fit me in the long run .

How much do you want to spend?

I have both and find myself with the 45-70 in my hands most of the time. It is short and so easy to carry, great for walking into the bear bait or those times you have to get dirty looking for wounded game. Mine is set up for under 150yards, if I need to reach out longer I go with the 375

Good Luck

Steve

henry, when you say "back-up" rifle, do you mean back-up as in to use for follow up shots that your hunting buddy just took on a brown bear.....or as in I need a back-up rifle in case my primary rifle malfunctions.....If it is for close-up and/or follow-up shots, I would prefer the 45-70, but if I was looking for something that would be very versatile in hunting big game in Alaska/Africa at longer ranges, the .375 H&H would be ideal.... in other words, it all depends!!!

Default Go for the horse power

Of the two the 375 H&H has more versatility. More horse power on the top end, can be down loaded if needed. Good choice of bullets available for the 375. Bolt action not as fast in recycling as the lever gun. Bolt action also not as complicated as a lever action. The fact I have a 375 and not a 45-70 doesn't come into play

looking more for back up to my hunting handgun along with what if shot if i have to take the shot on a large game animal and when hunting with friends i know that i want to be able to drop the animal as fast i can if something goes wrong with the first shot from me or the person iam hunting with...

my budget is about $.3500.oo total for rifle and scope unit ..

375034.jpg375035.jpgYou can get alot for under 3500. If your primary is a handgun, I'd go for the 375. I love my co-pilot, but sometimes it just takes more (distance or power).

I built this one for under a grand. Its a 375H&H. I'm still debating if I want to mount my 1.5x5 leupy, I'm still good upto 250 yrds or so with Irons. If you want to go pretty you can easily use up the 3500, functional is alot cheaper.

id get the 375. I had a mod 70 stainless, with iron sights cut down to 20" It was a nice accurate gun. easy to carry. for 3500 that would get you alot of gun. But for under 2k that will get you more than enough still.

Heck, for $3500.00 I would get both. Buy both rifles used, scope the 375 with something like a 1.5 x 5 and use iron sites on the 45-70. You should have money left over.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Heck, for $3500.00 I would get both. Buy both rifles used, scope the 375 with something like a 1.5 x 5 and use iron sites on the 45-70. You should have money left over.
    I'm wondering what kind of rifles you guys are buying. $3500 is four times what I have in my custom commercial mauser.

Your budget is realistic for putting together a very reliable, quality hunting rifle. If the rifle were to be intended for hunting, I'd opt for a 375 on a Mauser type action [ala Kimber Talkeetna]. If you are looking for a convenient carry gun for backup and occaisional hunting, the Marlin will do fine.

A New Ultralight Arms 375 would fit the bill nicely, of course you would have to bump the budget just a smidge to put good glass on it.

$3500?

Heck buy 2 Ruger Alaskans and 2 1-5x Leupold scopes AND a case of ammo.

i put down on paper what i wanted in the rifle

barrel cut down to 20.inch barrel

fixed express sights to back up the scope if need be

heavy duty all weather stock with free floated barrel area

drilled and taped action for scope

mauser action

basic gunsmithing on the action and trigger to polish and smooth out any rough spots in the trigger system and the action

basic recoated over the whole rifle in all weather finish that can take the weather of alaska

leupold scope of power of 1.x-x-5-x power for all around hunting

good scope rings

the budget of $.3500.oo is for both the rifle along with basic gunsmithing on the rifle along with the scope and scope rings along with a set of dies to reload for the caliber ..

here another reason why i looking at my rifle and going maybe i might need a bigger rifle to handle a bear ..when we where out camping i saw my first alaskan bear along with where his marks where at along with the thought of i might been needing a bigger rifle to handle that animal .. some friends and family took me out and they showed me some basic backwoods tips about how and what and if i had to deal with a bear ..so i got to thinking about the buying a new rifle and haveing some basic trigger work done along with a work done on the rifle to make it more me along with a good scope and scope rings to handle the recoil .

If I were looking for a new H&H my search would be centered around either a CZ Safari 550 that will hold 5 down in the magazine or a Win 70 Classic in stainless with the syn stock. Both are great rifles and it would depend on if you wanted blued or stainless. Either can be purchased for under $1,000 and there is a NIB Win 70 stainless on First Stop Guns web site as we speak for $999.
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/938971463...ess_375H_H.htm

However, if you can talk yourself into trying something new I would go with any of the Ruger rifles in 375 Ruger.
    Tennessee

so far i only found a few companys that make a large bore rifle in 375 h&h magnum ..ruger and kimber so far are the only ones i found ..i really do like the kimber model ..

i was looking at the website of CZ-USA and i found the CZ-550 American with all the features i wanted for around.$.1600 .oo dollars with a lot left over for scope and dies and ammo ..thanks for the tip about CZ rifles there ..

plus this is the last rifle iam going to buy .. i think it might be the last rifle i buy ..

I went this route after considering similar wants/needs. You shouldn't need any work on the action or trigger. Add good glass and you'll have plenty of $$ for ammo. Good luck with your decision.

http://www.sako.fi/sako85models.php?kodiak

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    plus this is the last rifle iam going to buy .. i think it might be the last rifle i buy ..
    Don't ever let me hear you say that again......the last rifle! Just kidding! I'm thinking a classic model 70 also!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast