Thread: battery/charging questions

Default battery/charging questions

ok so i have a arctic cat 650 h1 08' and the battery wont seem to charge. I replaced the battery, charged it up it reads over 13v on a multi meter. I start the wheeler and it reads around 14+v while its running. I unplugged the battery and read the pos and neg cable after i unhooked them and they read aabout 6v maybe 8v or 9v if i rev the engine is this correct? or should i have more of a charge going into the battery when its running. I can only start my machine a handful of time then the battery seems dead. The battery is new so i dont think its a dud battery. When i drive it around it doesn't seem to charge at all. Any help/suggestions? Thanks

Put the cables back on the battery, measure the battery voltage it should be around 12.6v. Start your atv and your battery voltage should increase to 13.8v or more. Turn on your lights (hi beam) your battery voltage should stay above 13.8v if everything is working correctorly.

Let us know what you found.

Reading around 14V when running means that you're wheeler IS charging the battery. The voltage regulator should keep the charging voltage pretty constant, regardless of engine speed. Are you sure that you were getting good, solid readings when you revved the engine, and reported 8-9V? (In other words, good electrical connections.)

Can you leave the battery on the charger at least overnight? Then, take it in to a battery shop (Batteries Plus will do this for free) and have them capacity test it. That will tell you if the battery is OK.

If the battery is fine, the next place I would look is your starter.

It sounds like the cables to the battery are at fault. Without a good connection it is possible to get the 14v from the alternator but not get enough current through to charge the battery.

One thing I read in my book was that you have to use the key when turing it off. Useing the emergancy switch will still drain power from the battery.

( This format sucks)

This is a known issue with AC. There is a fix listed on several AC Forum web sites. Take it to your dealer because work is required. Do some research on this issue by searching here and some AC forums.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

thanks to everyone for the advice! I'll tell ya what i find out.