Thread: knik lake ice derby

Smile knik lake ice derby

i dont know if anybody would be interested but knik lake in wasilla is having an ice fishing derby. it goes till feb 10th. however this saturday (the third) all friends of themasterangler will be there and have their own prizes for the day. ill also have my auger there if you need a hole to fish from. it should be a fun day bring your friends bring the kids! and dont forget your 2007 fishing license!!!

Thanks for the heads up. Knik lake is right down the road from me. Wife says we're going out there Thursday (ice fishing fanatic she is).

Sounds like fun. What time?

Default Knik

well... ill be there all day from sun up till sun down. seems like alot of people are going, should be very interesting. for saturday we will be giving out our own prizes in addition to the actual knik derby prizes. fish weighed in up untill 6:00 (cut-off time) are viable entries for the TMA daily prizes. hope to see you there!!!

p.s. its pretty close to me also...ill be on my big black arctic cat four wheeler with a camo trailer in tow.

Default Knik Lake Derby, is it well stocked?

Is the lake well stocked? Any idea what sized fish, what species, how many? Just wondering if it's worth the drive for the lil'ones.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

well ive heard "stories" of large chinook caught out of there but my money says the fish are probably small ones but you just never know what youll find.
    what i do know...last stocked...
    Chinook Salmon Jun 09, 2006 qty 17,931 size 4.0"
    Chinook Salmon Jul 11, 2006 qty 41,464 size 2.6"
    Grayling Aug 18, 2006 qty 1,008 size 1.8"
    Rainbow Trout Jun 07, 2006 qty 628 size 10.6"

Default wilddog

The lake has loads of little fish to keep the kids busy, but about a month ago my brother, friends and I fished out there and he pulled out a 23" trout and one of the little guys that was with us pulled out a 19" trout a few minutes later. those are by far the biggest fish I've ever seen there. you catch alot that are half that size. But they are in there. I have pictures somewhere. I'm sure preed would like me to post them.
    see ya out there!
    Justin
    Justin

Today was not my day as the fish in Knik Lake gave me the slip today.

Any of you guys who fish Knik Lake ever have any success of pulling any pike out of it?

I was out today three of us got our limit in about 2 hours. Nothing big all around 12 inches good pan size my 6 year old had blast and the weather was great 40's