Thread: Vehicle Shuttle for Tangle Lakes - Delta River float?

Default Vehicle Shuttle for Tangle Lakes - Delta River float?

I am planning on floating the Delta River out to Ann Creek from Tangle lakes. I am floating with 2 other guys and we really only want to take 1 vehicle (we are driving from Anchorage). Does anyone know of a paid shuttle in that area or some other way we could do it without an aditional vehicle?

I know a few people that have done it by stashing a bicycle at the takeout and then riding back to get the vehicle at the put in point. Or you can hitch-hike your way back; other than that, I'm not aware of any shuttles for this section.

HTH

Default Shuttle

Todd Denton, the owner of Sourdough Roadhouse, is the closest shuttle I am aware of and I don't know if he will shuttle that far north. I believe he usually just shuttles people who take out at Sourdough. If he doesn't shuttle that far north he may know somebody that does.

You could check with Paxson Lodge, they used to do shuttles for me on the Gulkana. Too bad you coldn't pick up somebody from Black Rapids Training Facility and pay them a bit of money to drive your vehicle to your take-out.

I've (or other members of my party) had good luck hitching from phelan creek back to the tangles on a couple of occasions. Had to get 2 rides, one to paxson and then one from there to tangle campground. That section would be a long, sweaty bikeride (at least for me). People traveling that part of the world are pretty consistent about helping out fellow travelers and offering rides so I think you can count on hitching.

Another, probably better option would be to shuttle the vehicle to the takeout before floating, after dropping equipment at the put-in, and hitching back before the float, so that when you finish you have your vehicle there and can just pack up and go. That's what I would recommend.

I do shuttle services for the Delta River including Denali Highway Tangle Lakes put in as well as Black Rapids Section take outs. Nice thing with your planned logistics and having your own vehicle at the take out is that it ends up a 2-way from Anchorage rate vs. a 4-way.

Let me know on dates/times, how many in party (looks like 3), and amount of boat/gear.

One other thing for those that hitchhike a ride in similar situations: Last week I was driving my motorhome back to Fairbanks from Valdez and I passed a fellow with a sign saying Sourdough. I never pick up hitchhikers anymore but I would have given the fellow sportsman a lift back to his vehicle if the sign had of been large enough to read from farther back. By the time I saw it I couldn't pull over with the motorhome since I had a couple of cars behind me.

I would also like to do the Tangle Lakes to Mi. 212 trip, sometime in September. Anyone interested in teaming up for the shuttle logistics? I would be coming from Fairbanks. I would be by myself or my wife and I.