Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Some gonna be happy, some sad,

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default Some gonna be happy, some sad,

    With the recent court rulings, looks like F&G is going to be busy again in Unit 13.

    The judge ruled in favor of Manning, and against the State in both cases.

    Bad timing as F&G will have little time working to change 'back' on the tier and community harvests.

    This is thru the grapevine right now., but should be in the news this week........

    So are you Happy,, ? Sad ? or don't give a chit ?

    Maybe we could have a poll? LOL

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    nikiski
    Posts
    185

    Default

    I heard the same thing. Might go registration hunt or they may go to a Tier II if they can figure out how to do that quickly. I think they should just make it a drawing hunt and be done with it.

  3. #3

    Default Unit 13

    Here we go again, to no surprise. This whole process has resulted in the most convulted idiotic piece of game management that has surely been recorded. It was hardly a fair deal to begin with, got worse with time, and resulted with some deep thinker actually imagining it possible to restrict other spieces hunts / game units based on one drawing a 13 caribou tag. Throw in "community" hunts where urban boys can do all the work for a small portion of the animal (worse than a fishing proxy, what a joke), the automatic Federal tag by zip code, and wow, only in Alaska!Unless of course it was an intentional strawman to boot the issue backwards for a hoped for undisclosed result....

    My question is when can the State again challenge the Federal ruling that years ago our beloved Tony Knowles chose to abdicate. Win or lose, that would at least set the ground rules for how we proceed in this and other matters of game management and allocation.

  4. #4
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    Count me among the happy. I'm not sure what the solution is, but the recent situation was not right. I would also like to see it go to a straight drawing hunt, but as bwake notes, that's not really possible based upon previous Federal rulings. This will be an interesting one to follow in the weeks to come.

  5. #5
    Member Erik in AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    I realize that my take on this issue would require an amendment to the state constitution (so it's unfeasible for all practical purposes) BUT allocating subsistence tags by zip code seems to be the fairest method and the one most in keeping with the original intent of subsistence provisions. Those that live closest to the resource should have priority, generally.

    In years when the herd is healthy enough to support hunting beyond the subsistence take then there should be a drawing permit.
    In years when herd numbers are down then the drawing tags should be reduced or eliminated as needed.
    In years when the herd is booming and threatens to over browse it's range then subsistence users should be awarded extra permits for cows/calves AND the state should be ready to open GMU 13 to a registration hunt(s) in addition to the drawing permit.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

  6. #6

    Default

    I am happy but apprehensive. Who knows what crazy system BOG or F&G is going to come up with now. Glad to see it got overturned, but the previous system wasn't any better than the current one IMO. So if this trend continues it will just get worse and worse. Yeah I am a little pessimistic as to what they can dream up next for this "subsistence" hunt.

  7. #7

    Default

    Tickled!!! Plumb Tickled!!! The framers of the Constitution knew there would be Tyrants in our future, that is why they gave the Individual the mean to defend thier rights. The next time someone wants you to give the BOG Members any degree of respect or consideration, you should remember this fiasco and just what they are capable of being. They were advised against employing this measure, by State Attorney's, but they collectively decided to exercise their collective ignorance and desires. Thank your lucky stars for men like Ken Manning and his supporters. While many sat by the wayside wringing their hands, action was being taken on their behalf....again. Two big thumbs up for Mr. Manning and the framers of our Constitution.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default

    No telling what might be the next 'trial', whatever they come up with ought to have one priority over all other thoughts, and that there is no problem with the constitutionality of what they come up with.

    Part of what I've seen lately with the Nelchina herd is 'failure' to boom or get close to busting, so while having relatively 'stable' number of caribou, that harvestable portion is not large at all. The BOG & F&G now have a good estimate on the ANS numbers, the community harvest program last year provided that number. With that ANS number in mind, and it only totaling in the hundreds, just think what would be possible if F&G could get the harvestable number of caribou up 3 to 6 thousand. The options for the BOG would be increased, not having to 'juggle' a marginal number of harvestable caribou.
    My .02 & food for thought.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default Akres

    Gotta give the 'FUND' some credit too !!
    Last edited by DEDWUF; 07-13-2010 at 20:34. Reason: letter addition

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    Gotta give the 'FUND' some credit too !!
    Hear Hear,
    Consider it done.

    Honestly, folks there were several more supporters than you will hear of in the news, in the coming days. What you will likely hear is that, screeeeeeeeeching and hooooooooowwwwwwwling that we normally hear from the media circus. Don't allow yourselves to be disillusioned by the hyperbole and hysterics.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11

    Default

    Problem with zip codes: Do you feel that a recently transfered from the Lower 48 NPS Administrator who lives in Copper Center should get one ahead of a born and raised anchorage/city hunter?

  12. #12
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the second time i have drawn a tag to hunt caribou in this area and its the SECOND TIME THAT I HAVE LOST IT DUE TO A COURT DESICION. I have been an Alaskan my whole life and had my rights to hunt an area stripped from me twice now. Tier II wasnt a fair way to had out tags in unit 13, I thought TIER I wasnt as bad as you are all making it out to be, you never even gave it a chance. Now i dont get ot hunt Caribou this year, I work for a living and this was my only chance to get out and caribou hunt.

  13. #13
    Member AKHunterNP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Well, many of us work for a living and many of us will find somewhere else to hunt caribou if we want so that is a poor excuse. Unit 13 is not the only place in the State that has caribou.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

  14. #14
    Member ret25yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Unit 13
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    it would have been nice to get a caribou anywhere in 13 this year.... but guess i'll go back to fed.. fine by me.. life goes on..

    If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

  15. #15
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Well, many of us work for a living and many of us will find somewhere else to hunt caribou if we want so that is a poor excuse. Unit 13 is not the only place in the State that has caribou.
    Yeah, your right bro. I work a 6 and 2 on the slope. So the other are I hunt caribou (40 mile herd) will only be open while I am back at work. So its not a poor excuse. The next opertunity I will have to hunt will not be till September 24th. Try having a tag awarded to you twice and then have it taken away twice and lets see how you feel about it. I can Go out and hunt caribou else where, your right, but a lot more planning went into this one. If you have ever had to deal with and alternate and spend your whole summer doing change overs so you could go on a hunt that you would not be able to draw for 4 more years, you would probably be frustrated too.

  16. #16
    Pertinax
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    This is the second time i have drawn a tag to hunt caribou in this area and its the SECOND TIME THAT I HAVE LOST IT DUE TO A COURT DESICION.
    Me, too, but I'm glad. I hope there's no hunt this year. Let all suffer alike for the incredible greed and selfishness displayed by all.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Perinax,,, ".... but I'm glad. I hope there's no hunt this year."

    Really ?

    "..... Let all suffer alike for the incredible greed and selfishness displayed by all." ??

    Fortunately, there are many individual hunters, that do not fall in the 'incredible greed and selfishness' category.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    After todays BOG meeting, and 're-given' the chance to harvest a caribou, will you hunt '13' caribou ?

  18. #18
    Pertinax
    Guest

    Default

    Yeah, I agree that many individual hunters don't fall in that category. They apply annually regardless of the crazy rules the board implements under pressure from the greedy and selfish groups and individuals and don't contribute to the political tug-of-war that has created this quagmire. But not having the hunt certainly won't hurt the resource, its really late in the game to dream up and implement another circus act, and we all ultimately deserve what we've created as a hunting community.

  19. #19

    Default

    Welp,
    According to today's numbers from ADF&G, there are going to be over 11,000 more Happy Alaskans. The Alaska we all want is returning in minute areas.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Hmmm, imagine that, more harvestable numbers = more harvestable caribou.
    And the ANS #'s are not very high, at least from looking at last years CHP report.
    Last edited by DEDWUF; 07-30-2010 at 12:15. Reason: add word

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •