Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: free fresh halibut and lingcod with Valdez boat charter

Default free fresh halibut and lingcod with Valdez boat charter

if you go on the *name removed*, the operator will ensure you get someone elses fish if you don't catch anything. i saw this great welfare deal this last weekend. a 12 year old girl caught a halibut that weighed as much as her #100. she was so exited. also a 16 year old girl caught a huge ling cod. no one else on the boat, to include me did very well. imagine the pleasure those 2 little girls had catching the biggest fish of their lives and being told they were required to will give half up to share with the other parties on the boat that didn't catch fish. the girls will continue to enjoy providing half of the fish they caught to their own families for meals. what a great lesson in "fairness".
    is this a common or legal practice on the Valdez boat charters now?
    Last edited by Brian M; 07-14-2010 at 07:34. Reason: forum rules

That is a nice idea but, Requiring people to give seems hardly the best way to do it? is that really happening among the Charters out there?

I'd think "suggesting, What's considered really cool is to share those fish...." or somehow to imply the opportunity to share, "the way we like to do it for everyone is to..... if you want to we'll cut it up that way."

But a Requirement seems like a Cheesy way for the Charter Operator who couldn't produce for everyone to try to force a smile on everyon'e face.

Not to Rain on your great experience, Glad it worked out like that but I'm wondering if that would really work and/or is working among the Charters
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

That does not seem legal to me. I'm not positive of it...but I can't think of a provision of law that would allow a charter operator to force a fisherman to give up part of their legally caught fish.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

cool thing to do... thats another reason why i only go out with Mike on the dawn Treader... curious did everyone take some fish? or did any refuse it? i would have refused to take a kids catch...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

forgive my sarcasm fellas, the 12 year old girl was crying. she said she wouldn't have wanted anyone elses fish if she didn't catch them herself. she didn't understand why they were taking her fish from her. the 16 yr old with the ling wasn't so dramatic, just had that "sunken feeling" look. i was stunned. this has never happened on a charter and "yes" the other adults on the boat took the fish from those little girls. the charter operator and the deckhand said "that's just the only fair way to do it and that's the way it is!" it was not the place or time to add more negativity to the impression the kids were already getting.

Only good if the kids wanted to do it, otherwise it sounds like extortion. Perhaps said charter captain could have done his part and donated a cash equivalent to the effort for the unlucky fisherman.

WOW
    that sucks I cannot believe someone would accept those kids fish... needless to say I would never book with them again

Wow, that changes my response a bit, your sarcasm was good, slid right by me

If I was the Father of those girls, the guy who paid for that charter, (hope he wanders by this Forum,)

"Demand your money back"
    seriously, that is about as uncool behaviour as I can imagine from those charter operators,

the little girl was crying? !?!?!? and "that's just the way it is?????" uuuurrrrrgggggggggg
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Totally lame deal right there folks!!!!
    Not cool in the least and should be ilegal IMHO.

That crap wouldn`t float with me on board...I speechless.

Holly, please PM me with the charter outfit name.Nevermind...found it.

He makes long runs to Hitchinbrook (3 hard hours each way)...so it doesn`t surprise me they don`t have time to catch their own.

Smart thing to do is refund some $$ for those that didn`t have time to get theirs...bad press here can do alot of damage.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Unless the charter operator made it known that fish sharing was "required" when you booked the charter he has no right. Sure it's his boat, but legally those are your fish.

I thought about booking a fishing charter on vacation in the Carribean last year. down there anyone can sell whatever they catch. One stipulation of any charter was the skipper gets to keep the fish to sell. Most of them gave you enough for dinner, but you knew before you booked the trip that you didn't get to bring it all home.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I'm about 99% sure that the skipper has no right to tell anyone they have to share their fish. I would have gotten on the phone with the Troopers as soon I could about that, because it sounds like total BS.

They can choose to share their fish, but they can't "make" them. It makes it a party boat of sorts, and that is illegal.

I would have been in that skipper's face about that.

That is certainly one charter I will NEVER go on!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I can understand the girls being bummed (or worse), but I doubt the skipper was dealing diresctly with a 12 y/o girl. Are you saying she didn't have a parent or guardian with her? Perhaps the adult was agreeable to sharing the fish, and it's simply a matter of expectations on the part of the girls.

I wouldn't have taken the fish & if the girls wanted to keep the entire catch, they should have let them. Yes, charter boats are a lot of $$$, and it would suck if you got "skunked" - but that's fishing! It isn't a guarentee (and it's not on their website as such) that one will get fish....

i was the adult on the trip that brought the girls. as i said i was stunned, but didn't want to make a bad situation worse with emotional responses at the time. there was no agreement to share fish in advance or i wouldn't have stepped on the boat. I've been skunked before, paid for a seasick wife to catch nothing too. that's all part of it. we came back in the harbor and the deckhand and the boat owner discussed my wanting the girls to keep their own fish that they caught. i was shut down. told specifically that's just the way it's going to be. at first they wanted a party of 2 to get half the fish. i pointed out we were a paying party of 3. their compromise to me was to split the fish 5 ways. that way it would still be "fair" to everyone. all i cared about was how bad the emotional part was for the 2 young girls that I wanted to expose to "the fun of fishing".

The fish belongs to the person that caught it, not the charter captain. The captain has no right to give away someone elses fish, as it isn't his fish to give away.

Theft plane and simple.

Yup, that guy stole your fish. I would contact the troopers before the end of the day. I hope this doesn't ruin things for the two girls. I hope you get your money back, then I would contact one of the fine guides that frequent this forum and try another trip.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I assume you didn't tip them. They didn't deserve one. Hell, everybody should have tipped your two kids instead of the guides.

Or, If those girls were the Providers of fish for the entire charter, how about the adults who accepted fish from them or the charter operator trying to "make everyone happy" kick in for half of the girls charter expense. Like refund half your cost because you were the ones to Jig, Just Right, set the hook, Just Right, and maintain line tension, Just Right, and haul that fish up, only to see "Any Portion" of that fish given away,

"the way it is, or is going to be" ????????

tempted to find that website and do some emailing , that's bad for all of us.

Thanks for posting the story, at least anyone else confronted with this can know more about it,
    or any Charter ops can RECONSIDER THAT IDEA

Sent an email to him, just now, that he might consider the business he is losing, maybe he'll respond
    Hope that's cool with you Holly, I just can't leave that out there as a long term Alaskan, feel like I should stand behind you a bit on this one

I also didn't see anything about this practice on his website
    Last edited by Brian M; 07-14-2010 at 07:35.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast