Thread: what type of boots should a guy take on a float trip

Default what type of boots should a guy take on a float trip

going on a float moose hunt

No boots. Breatheable waders. Either the waist or chest high. Stocking foot and wading shoes. If you camp for a day or 2, you can just wear the wading shoes for hunting around camp.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Moose float sounds like low country. MT may be right, wear the wading shoes with Gortex socks if your hunting for a day or two. That might may make a bit of sense if depending on your hunting terrain.

Tim

Let the terrain decide. Not all float hunts mean marshy/swampy muck. On a few float hunts, I've been glad to have my Lowa's along. If you get off the river a bit and up higher to glass or hunt, the extra support from your hunting boots will feel great. If most of your hunting is just a short piece off the river with very little climbing, then by all means leave them at home and use your wading boots to hunt in. A key to remember is that packing Moose quarters more than a very short distance in less than supportive boots are hard on your feet/ankles.

Good luck.
    Moose44

If you have no weight restrictions then take everything that you have. I think that no matter what, you will always find a situation that you wish that you had the waders, hip boots, or some type of regular boot. Oh, don't forget your extratuffs. One thing that I always try to take is a pair of crocs. The weight is nothing and for camp shoes I don't think that there is anything better. Makes it easy to air out your other footware, easy on and off which really make it nice around camp and those latenight head calls.

Gianukakis....this is one of those great question that pop up often, and there just is not a perfect answer. But the guidance from this non-gadget-guy, old-school-type-of-hunter/guide is.......

LaCrosse hip boots, the Big Chief style, air bob sole with 800MG of insulation is the normal boot for tundra hunts in AK. This includes moose hunts in the river bottoms.

My recommendation is the result of dealing with about 100+ client-hunters in the last 12 years. The LaCrosse hip boots are hard to get for those of you in the lowere 48. Because of that, many client hunters end up with Cabelas hip boots. And because I can get by with both size 10 or 11 hip boots, I have ended up with several pair of Cabelas hip boots when client-hunters leave AK. Regardless of style, none of the Cabelas hip boots are as comfortable to me as the LaCrosse Big Chief style.

The wrong foot wear, the wrong boots have led to more problems in the bush than any other single thing. Hip boots are never perfect in every situation, but at the end of every hunt the guys without hip boots say they would not return to AK without 'em. The guys without LaCrosse hip boots say they would not return without LaCrosse.

The knock on hip boots are that they get wet inside from sweaty feet. True. And I did not care for them at the end of a 16 mile hike on a super warm September day after we got to chasing after a big caribou. And also, occasionally they may not be high enough to keep you dry while crossing some rivers.

But most of the time they are the most important single item, along with great rain gear, that will contribute to the success of a tundra hunt for moose, caribou, and bears. If you are gonna sit in a boat or a riverside blind all day or just raft or just fish, then it probably does not matter what type of waterproof footwear you have. But if you are an active spot-and-stalk or run-and-gun hunter....get hip boots, pref LaCrosse.

So the sweat deal is the negitive point. And without good rain gear or a butt pad, your posterior end will become wet sitting out on the spotting hill. And the guys with fat legs hate trying to get them off at the end of the day.

Here are the positive points.
    1) Keeps your feet and legs dry.
    2) No time wasting boot changes while racing to cut off a traveling brown bear. Keep in mind that the tundra often has many wet spots and muskeg swamps that look dry until you are knee deep in 'em. (I have saw guys waste 30 minutes changing in and out of boots five times in only a mile...)
    3) On dry ground, fold 'em down to keep your legs cool.
    4) On windy days pull 'em up to keep the wind off your legs.
    5) During those cold days sitting on a lookout hill, stick your hands down your hip boots to keep 'em warm.

Breathable wader pants and chest-high waders are fine except that they are tough to get down while peeing, and they begin to smell really bad after a few active and sweaty days. More than one hunter has been thrown out of the tent because his breathable wader pants began to smell like ...like really sweaty terrible bad.

Client-hunters will always debate the merit of LaCross hip Boots as opposed to breathable-pant-waders or as opposed to hiking boots and quick-change-overboots. I have heard the verbal opposition to hip boots so many times that I now, after one or two hip-boot sales talks, I just tell to bring whatever they want. But at the end of a hard day, and at the end of the hunt I know that every client-hunter says he wishes he had listened to me and brought LaCross hip boots.

But...with hard work and a bit of good fortune you will have a great moose hunt wearing either hip boots or breathables....Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge, Ruger vs Winchester vs Remington, blond vs brunette vs red....

...and isn't it about time for one of these "scent free" boot companies to come out with a new scent-free thigh-high hipboot made of some new spaceage materials?, and then advertised by some whitetail deer hunter in Iowa...

Regardless of which waterproof boot you take, you will probably have a great hunt.

(Also, check the gear forum and hunting forum archives....and whatever type of boot you want to wear will be supported....somewhere.)

...in my experience...in my humble opinion...

Dennis

thanks for the opinions. hopefully an alaskan moose is in my future

The breatheables come in hip, waist, or chest high. Also come in boot foot or stocking foot. I owned and regularly used the LaCrosse boots True Ad. speaks of for years. Good walking boots as hippers go. Use a breatheable chest high, stocking foot now. Won't go back to rubber.
    True mentioned a wet butt. That's one place the chesties shine. Sit anywhere and not worry about a wet butt!!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

The total number of available options to us in this decade are truly wonderful...
    Ford vs Dodge vs GM
    Steelers vs Cowboys vs Bengals (lil laugh)
    Ruger vs Remington vs Winchester
    Rifle vs Compound Bow vs Recurve Bow
    Rafts vs Driftboat vs jet-boat
    LaCrosse Hip vs Simms Chest-high vs some-new-product

Pick your poison...i mean preference...but seldom does one find any one product that is absolutely perfect in all situations and applications.

....and life just keeps getting better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Gianukakis....this is one of those great question that pop up often, and there just is not a perfect answer. But the guidance from this non-gadget-guy, old-school-type-of-hunter/guide is.......

LaCrosse hip boots, the Big Chief style, air bob sole with 800MG of insulation is the normal boot for tundra hunts in AK. This includes moose hunts in the river bottoms.

My recommendation is the result of dealing with about 100+ client-hunters in the last 12 years. The LaCrosse hip boots are hard to get for those of you in the lowere 48. Because of that, many client hunters end up with Cabelas hip boots. And because I can get by with both size 10 or 11 hip boots, I have ended up with several pair of Cabelas hip boots when client-hunters leave AK. Regardless of style, none of the Cabelas hip boots are as comfortable to me as the LaCrosse Big Chief style.

The wrong foot wear, the wrong boots have led to more problems in the bush than any other single thing. Hip boots are never perfect in every situation, but at the end of every hunt the guys without hip boots say they would not return to AK without 'em. The guys without LaCrosse hip boots say they would not return without LaCrosse.

The knock on hip boots are that they get wet inside from sweaty feet. True. And I did not care for them at the end of a 16 mile hike on a super warm September day after we got to chasing after a big caribou. And also, occasionally they may not be high enough to keep you dry while crossing some rivers.

But most of the time they are the most important single item, along with great rain gear, that will contribute to the success of a tundra hunt for moose, caribou, and bears. If you are gonna sit in a boat or a riverside blind all day or just raft or just fish, then it probably does not matter what type of waterproof footwear you have. But if you are an active spot-and-stalk or run-and-gun hunter....get hip boots, pref LaCrosse.

So the sweat deal is the negitive point. And without good rain gear or a butt pad, your posterior end will become wet sitting out on the spotting hill. And the guys with fat legs hate trying to get them off at the end of the day.

Here are the positive points.
    1) Keeps your feet and legs dry.
    2) No time wasting boot changes while racing to cut off a traveling brown bear. Keep in mind that the tundra often has many wet spots and muskeg swamps that look dry until you are knee deep in 'em. (I have saw guys waste 30 minutes changing in and out of boots five times in only a mile...)
    3) On dry ground, fold 'em down to keep your legs cool.
    4) On windy days pull 'em up to keep the wind off your legs.
    5) During those cold days sitting on a lookout hill, stick your hands down your hip boots to keep 'em warm.

Breathable wader pants and chest-high waders are fine except that they are tough to get down while peeing, and they begin to smell really bad after a few active and sweaty days. More than one hunter has been thrown out of the tent because his breathable wader pants began to smell like ...like really sweaty terrible bad.

Client-hunters will always debate the merit of LaCross hip Boots as opposed to breathable-pant-waders or as opposed to hiking boots and quick-change-overboots. I have heard the verbal opposition to hip boots so many times that I now, after one or two hip-boot sales talks, I just tell to bring whatever they want. But at the end of a hard day, and at the end of the hunt I know that every client-hunter says he wishes he had listened to me and brought LaCross hip boots.

But...with hard work and a bit of good fortune you will have a great moose hunt wearing either hip boots or breathables....Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge, Ruger vs Winchester vs Remington, blond vs brunette vs red....

...and isn't it about time for one of these "scent free" boot companies to come out with a new scent-free thigh-high hipboot made of some new spaceage materials?, and then advertised by some whitetail deer hunter in Iowa...

Regardless of which waterproof boot you take, you will probably have a great hunt.

(Also, check the gear forum and hunting forum archives....and whatever type of boot you want to wear will be supported....somewhere.)

...in my experience...in my humble opinion...

Dennis
    Dennis:

Believe it or not, here's some scent-free LaCrosse Big Chief: http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/product/recreation/waders/big+chief+600g+waders+-+32%27%27.do

As of now, I couldn't find a 800g insulated model, but only those 600g ones.

What about these?: http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/prod...+hip+waders.do

It sounds like they are supposed to be a little tougher in the boot part, but I can't tell how much "wool-felt" insulation they have.

BTW, I decided to bring some 50-lb dumbells on the float, in case it's raining and I need to exercise inside the tent.

Just kidding.

marinehawk...

get the Big Chief 600G Waders (HIP WADERS/Hip BOOTS).
    ....with the "Air-grip outsole".
    They must be ankle-fit...This is a priority point!
    ....first thing ya do is cut out the adjustable, internal calf-harnesss...
    $140 sounds about $20 or $30 high, but inflation affects hip boots also, apparently

I generally wear size 10 1/2 shoes/boots....so I get size 11 LaCrosse hip boots, add an inner sole and wear an extra pair of socks. I have two pair (or more) of these hippers.
    If you can wear size 11 hippers, then lets consider an experiment during this upcoming hunt.
    Bring a pair of breathable pants along with an "over-boot", a hiking boot.
    During our hunt you can switch back and forth between the two systems and report your pref.
    The guy I took hunting in May preferrred hip boots.
    The last several hunters have preferred the simplicity of hip boots over breathable pants or breathable chest-highs.

dennis

kingfisherktn----THAT IS THE GUY!, the hip boot!

...Got to do other stuff...dennis-out

Thanks Dennis and Kingfish. I ordered a size 9. I wear size 9 boots. If it's too small, I'll send them back and try a 10.

Since you asked for opinions; I will give you mine. I take Crocs (my camp shoes), Rubber Lacrosse Knee highs w/200 grams of thinsulate (shi# kickers we called em growing up on the farm), Breathable chest waders with stocking foot, and my hiking boots.