Thread: Anyone have good Intel on Talkeena Mail Trail or Central Trail

Default Anyone have good Intel on Talkeena Mail Trail or Central Trail

I am thinking of a week long expedition into this area, I have never been on these trails before and would like to find out if they are passable with ATV pulling meat wagon and supplies. Are there a lot of bogs to winch out of? How difficult is the trails on a 1-10 scale? 10 being un-passable.

Mail trail (or Tank trail as locals call it) is there, but it is generally a winter only trail for much of it. It is wet, wet, wet. I won't go so far as to say it is impassable, but likely alot of work.

The central trail is an OLD trail that has recently been surveyed and parts of it have been cleared, but I will bet you will have a VERY tough time staying on it if you can find the starting point. There have been volunteers out cutting it the last couple of march's, but I heard that it is nowhere near complete...

ATVs have been using the central trail lately. Watch out for a cable across it. It was marked with ribbons, though. There could still be some unsprung leghold traps along it. The bait station didn't have any signs, either.
    The mail trail is very boggy, but atvs made it almost back to little willow last fall. Big rigs use the mail trail and parts of the central trail.

Thanks for the information, I'll do a little preliminary scouting next couple of weeks in that area. Mainly interested in the Brown Bears more than anything else. I will check it out thanks again.

I went on this trail last year in Oct. Decent. I actually went on the Willow Mountain trail. There are some signs on the trail that indicate parts of the area are the Willow Controlled Use Area or something like that and they talk about no motor vehicles. At one point in the trail there was a sign and it showed the non-motorized area. IMO it was a bit confusing but I had the map that I attached with me so we went ahead on up. A Trooper showed up while we were eating lunch. We chit chatted and he left so I must have been in the motorized area, but do a google search for the WCUA or maybe someone can comment on that. The motorized trail and the non-motorized area border earch other so you just want to be careful.

http://www.matsugov.us/index.php?opt...raw&Itemid=238

Here is a link to some photos from the trip. Sorry, not too many with actual trail conditions, but we made it just fine.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=3e1018ea1e
    Last edited by 1S1K; 07-15-2010 at 10:32. Reason: Add picture link

1S1K, It looks from the pics that you went up the logging road from the parking lot off of shirleytown road and then up the willow mountain trail from there. Thats alot better trail. The mail trail and central trails are farther west of there. There are quite a few side trails off the logging road, alot of them just dead end after awhile. I've actually not been on much of the central trail, just bits and pieces and mostly in winter. But the mail trail is nasty enough that I'll stay off it with my wheeler, then again, I'm not one of those that enjoys getting stuck/unstuck..

You are correct. If you do a search under my profile I think I must have asked this same question last year and either got a response to the thread or a pm that basically indicated that the Willow Mountain trail was not as muddy and more scenic so that is the way I went.

Here is the link where I asked the same question last year.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rail?highlight=

LOL, I had forgotten that thread...I went back to that thread and saw that I'm repeating myself..at least I'm consistent, lol

I rode up to the Willow Fishhook road on Saturday, I see ya gotta know exactly where to find the two trails I was looking for. The one called Willow Sled looks like it starts low on the west end of the highway. I thought they would be a little easier to find. I must of passed it somewhere along the road. The other trail that goes up and over to Willow Mountain (Purches Creek Trail) I think I found the parking area to it, It has a large gravel area but not sure where the trail starts.
    Does anyone have better directions or GPS coordinates?

The big gravel area that you found is the parking spot. You take the road to the right, pretty major dirt road, and follow it till it turns into a wheeler trail. At this point the trail goes straight or turns right. I believe there is a sign on a tree at this juncture. I took the trail to the right and that eventually led me to the base of Willow mountain. Sorry, no gps track, but I remember always trying to head up hill. As with any area in the valley there are some side trails and I chose to just keep going right and head up. Hope this helps.

PS, I saw you emailed me sorry I hadn't responded. My wife checks that email more than I do.

Thanks I'll check it out!