Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best tasting ak fish?

Default Best tasting ak fish?

A "loaded" question I'm sure, but is there a favorite fish from AK from a world over consensus view? I know salmon is one of the more chosen favorites and I've never tasted all of the various salmon types nor any Lingcod/rockfish but what fish stands out as the best tasting when cooked fresh?

The "world over consensus" is sockeye salmon. While you may find individual tastes vary, from the popularity and marketing perspective, there is nothing that even compares to red salmon.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Ocean bright king salmon, hook and line caught, troll dressed. Cooked over charcoal.

You can keep your sockeye, (good for canning though) your terminal kings, and your tomato kings.

Show me a single "world consensus" population that has even tasted an ocean king over charcoal.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Ocean King (must be an echo in here)

blackcod, white feeder king
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

If the average person around the world tries Alaska salmon it'll likely be canned pink salmon. No wonder farmed Atlantic salmon is becoming so popular. There's a lot to be said for freshness. Most of the world won't experience fresh Alaska salmon.

For salmon my vote is for king that has not been frozen and then smoked. Second choice would be either golden eye or halibut.
    Tennessee

I really enjoy yellow eye rock fish, but like Homer Dave, I enjoy the tail section of a white feeder king grilled over charcoal. It seems to me that the majority of the white meat fish take on the flavor of whatever you season it with where as the salmon has its own delectable flavor. If we included crustaceans in the "fish" category, I would have to add Alaskan spots and Dungies to the top of the list.

Oh yea, SCREW the world consensus...we live in Alaska!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

ling cod for me... hands down. salmon is okay but battered, or buttered, or grilled, or roasted.... ling cod is the candy of the sea.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Obviously none of you have ever had 7 spine stickleback!!!
    The only issue is getting enough of them to eat and cleaning the little beggars!!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Obviously none of you have ever had 7 spine stickleback!!!
    The only issue is getting enough of them to eat and cleaning the little beggars!!!!
    some how i now have a picture of you with baleen dentures in....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Put me down for ling cod also. I'd much rather eat them than halibut, but halibut is my second choice.

Not a big salmon fan here. I think I ate too many as a kid growing up here.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

White king sushi clear number 1
    Smoked sockeye comes in a solid #2
    AK amber beer batter butt is distant #3

Grayling grilled over an open fire while several days into a sheep hunt and sick and tired of freeze-dried food. And of course you have to recite Robert Service "The grayling aleap in the river, The bighorn asleep on the hill." etc., etc.

FRESH Yukon River king salmon is the best

Default good question

It's hard to argue with king or sockeye, halibut, ling, or rock bass, but to add something new to the debate, I'm going with Halibut cheeks. Mmmm...extra tasty.

I have to agree with ocean caught feeder kings. you need something that can catch on fire on the grill. Nice fatty chunk of belly meat. mmmmmm. it's hard to beat a fish you catch in December or January. I'm a big fan of smoked black cod too.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

IMHO, white winter king. It beats ocean fresh sockeye hands down, but taste is about as subjective a thing as a person could ask about---it's kind of like asking what is your favorite color?

I think the reason sockeye is so popular is marketing. And judging from the responses of real Alaskans that eat the stuff all the time you might have to wonder about the sockeye popularity.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I must have gotten "Salmoned out" early on as there's a bit too much to Salmon for me, I like it but, not best

Absolute Tops for me is Yelloweye Red Rockfish, and if Crustaceans make the list, Red King Crab, then Sablefish (Black Cod) is some amazingly tasty stuff.

Hard to stop tho isn't it, Have you folks tried Abalone from rocky shoreline west of Ketchikan? or the Scallops down there, then Pacific Cod can be amazing, and....

Ok I'll stop
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast