Thread: Subaru on the south side

Default Subaru on the south side

I am heading down to Kenai this weekend to dipnet from a boat with a friend and also wanted to hit the beach for some dipnetting. I have a Subaru Forester and I am a little worried about getting stuck. Has anyone had any troubles?

I haven't been this year, but last year there was a Chrysler 300 out there.

Did someone say something about a subaru!?!?!
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

I know there were multiple Subarus out there on the beach on the south side last year. The sand can definitely be soft and people get stuck with just about any size vehicle. The good part is there are plenty of people around all the time and no shortage of guys with big trucks who aren't afraid to "show off" by pulling out anyone who gets stuck, so if you do get stuck, you probably won't be there long. I've always driven Subarus and found that they get through a lot of stuff that other vehicles wont. With the sand, don't gun it, but just keep your momentum and "float" through the soft stuff and avoid sharp turns which will just auger yourself in.

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Did someone say something about a subaru!?!?!
    You should start a thread about your Subaru hate. I'm sure it would make a good psychological study. And with that attitude in your sig you must not like about half of Alaskans...lol.

You should be fine with the Subaru if you are careful and drive where others have gone. Don't try to blaze your own trail. I've seen Honda's in there before without getting stuck, and have seen full size trucks get stuck when trying to blaze their own way. A couple of years ago we were driving along there in my wife's Explorer (4x4) when all of a sudden I saw where some friends were parked. Stupid me took a quick turn out of the trail to pull in and immediately hit soft sand and sank quick. We dug out fairly quickly, but it just shows that anyone can get stuck, and anyone can get through. Just be smart about it - which I wasn't that day. Never had any other problems.

This year - atv's are loaded to go with us.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

I had a Subaru Forester parked beside me on Sunday, you should be fine. Like others have said, just drive where others have and you'll be fine. And if you're a little nervous about driving on sand (like I always am), stay above the high tide line. I watched a 3/4 ton Dodge with at least a 50 gallon tank of water in the back drive down pretty close to the water as the tide was going out on Sunday. It took him 20 minutes of maneuvering but he finally freed himself from a soft spot. I was certain his truck was going to get a salt water bath that day.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    You should start a thread about your Subaru hate. I'm sure it would make a good psychological study. And with that attitude in your sig you must not like about half of Alaskans...lol.
    Its all in good fun coho. I saw that bumpersticker on a black and yellow subaru one day in midtown. But, it is time for me to change up the signature line. hmmm, maybe i will start on toyotas

Its all in good fun coho. I saw that bumpersticker on a black and yellow subaru one day in midtown. But, it is time for me to change up the signature line. hmmm, maybe i will start on toyotas
    Hey now wildboar my Toyota has 318000 miles on it and still runing great but she has some rust and leaks a little oil ........ Btw I will be up on Friday you up for beers

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag View Post
    Hey now wildboar my Toyota has 318000 miles on it and still runing great but she has some rust and leaks a little oil ........ Btw I will be up on Friday you up for beers
    Well, well. Marky Mark and the funky bunch!!You hitting Anchorage Fri? Im heading to Kenai for a couple days. I should be back Fri afternoon. Ill send you my phone number.

I was messing with you, anyway, although that's pretty funny you saw it on a Subaru....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I was messing with you, anyway, although that's pretty funny you saw it on a Subaru....lol.
    Thats why it was so funny. Had I been able to follow him without running red lights, I would have took a picture of him with his vehicle.

I had someone complaining about Subarus on another forum a while back. He finished up by saying that at least the Subarus tended to get out of the way of this big Toyota when he came up behind them. I had to respond to that with "I would too. We all know once a Toyota gets going, it can't stop!" It's all in good fun. I have driven a Subaru since I got my license, yet still find myself laughing all the time when I see how often the stereotypes people have of subaru drivers is accurate. Same goes for other vehicles as well.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I had someone complaining about Subarus on another forum a while back. He finished up by saying that at least the Subarus tended to get out of the way of this big Toyota when he came up behind them. I had to respond to that with "I would too. We all know once a Toyota gets going, it can't stop!" It's all in good fun. I have driven a Subaru since I got my license, yet still find myself laughing all the time when I see how often the stereotypes people have of subaru drivers is accurate. Same goes for other vehicles as well.
    One better than me. My first car when I got my license was a rust colored pinto. Guess you can go nowhere but up with a pinto