View Poll Results: are you sceered of BEARS!??????

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • i almost pee my pants when i see a bear track... need biggest hand gun i can get

0 0%
  • I carry a hand gun and make wife carry one too. but she carries the extra ammo so i can out run her

10 16.95%
  • NA! bears are more sceered of me then i am of them.only carry some times when feel up to it

39 66.10%
  • Never worried before... WHY? start now.. i leave guns in camp or at home

7 11.86%
  • Timothy Treadwell is my hero... i too feel fine with bear colon close ups!

3 5.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In light of the what gun to carry for bear threads popping up agian......

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default In light of the what gun to carry for bear threads popping up agian......

i desided to start a new poll.......

now be honest in it i am framing the questions bestest i can ... pick whats you...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

While Vince I "desided" to vote in your poll.

I'm from the "They're more scared of me" school of thought but when I am in the woods camping I am always conscious of bears being around. I make noise and don't cover myself in sweet baby Ray's barbecue sauce. I like to avoid putting my tent on bear trails too. A buddy of mine had a grizzly just walk right over his little one man and keep on going on his way out on Dora Peak near Healy. I actually stopped carrying my bear spray for a while too because despite my religiosity in carrying it when I first arrived in Alaska, the three up close encounters I had during my first year were all when I didn't have it with me! I miss those furry critters scaring the **** out of me.

Most guys have never had a close bear encounter. I've had a bunch. I haven't needed a gun, so far at least. But one time I didn't take one I had a bear engage my kid. That changes a guy's perspective. Stuff happens in our lives that make us who we are. I'm not amused by the thread. I'll keep taking my gun and I'll keep answering questions from guys who ask about them.

I always carry a gun to protect against people, cats, and bears when around any of those three types of critters in the wild. I've actually potentially saved me and my wife from ruin by having a pistol in Colorado in May 2002 when some guys were weirdly checking us out in an very isolated camping spot--by just letting them see it and acting very unafraid (even though I was afraid). I have had bear and cat encounters, but never needed to fire. But I felt like I do when riding in my vehicle on a two-lane non-shouldered highway, when an oncoming car starts to drift over into my lane. I honk and/or take some evasive action, which always has worked, and I've never needed to use my seat belt and airbags, but I am glad I have them at those moments just in case. I just feel more relaxed when out in the wild, when I have a way to defend myself, and my family and friends. I've never actually used my guns to defend against bears in bear country, just like I never have needed my airbags or seatbelts (or child seats for the little guys) to protect against a violent crash. I never leave home without them though.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Most guys have never had a close bear encounter. I've had a bunch. I haven't needed a gun, so far at least. But one time I didn't take one I had a bear engage my kid. That changes a guy's perspective. Stuff happens in our lives that make us who we are. I'm not amused by the thread. I'll keep taking my gun and I'll keep answering questions from guys who ask about them.
    well this was supposed to be a poke and fun thread.... as invariably the what gun should i use threads all turn into technical opinions about size shapes and modles...

when they should be about what you feel comfortable with...

i have never had a "BAD BEAR" experiance...a lot of the bears i meet are hanging in the corner... but then i go out looking for them too...

ran into a sow with cubs one year moose hunting, she stood up out of the long grass less then 50 foot from me and i was going to drop her, when the three cubs appeared at her feet... i walked away slowly ( hard not to run) and she followed me for nearly 700 yards and took a different fork in the trail... only raising her hackles when i turned to look at her.... pretty clear on her part... leave me alone i will leave you alone.

had another try to push open my door in Valdez, was living in a small trailer... just had my neck fused wife was 8 month pregnant with #2 and had trash out that should not have been there... bear pushing on the door that opened in, not aggressive just being nosy, so i opened the door (wearing nothing but blue collar around neck) and when he poked his head in i hit him with the door... twice. never came back

had a 9 foot brownie sow, step out of the brush on me on the Tsania river out of valdez... 15 foot she knew i was there but never paid me any mind....

a week later she circled me all night long while i gutted and packed out my moose in the dark... took over the gut pile after i was done never pestered me at all, but waited...

i have played with them on a string in the tree stands, had them come up trees to look at me, had them walk along the beach fishing with me, had them in camp, have three 4 wheelers with holes in seats because they played on them in the yard, eat gas jugs out of a tree, walk through tents to close to their trail,

watched my neighbor hit one with a fry pan early one morning cause it was in his trash can... nice 6.5-7 foot blackie... shoulda seen it run...

and run they do. there are the rare cases of bad bears... but i think that honestly most those cases had people problems involved... and could be avoided with a little bear sense about a person.

bears are curious, nosy critters that if given the chance, most will split the opposite direction at light speed.

bears are 100000% smarter then many folks give them credit for... a health respect for them is in order

not saying folks shouldn't carry guns, though i rarely do unless i am looking for something to shoot, then it stays on the wheeler till i take it out.

i think folks should spend more time worrying about how to have fun with the family while out, rather then worrying about how much iron they should carry, and looking for boo boo behind every tree that will eat them... seen 26 different bears year before last, 19 last summer, and 9 so far this year, have 8 hanging in the corner and 2 more at the tanners... they all have one thing in common... they were all going the other direction... but thats just my experience, perhaps they can smell the bear on my breath?????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    ... i think folks should spend more time worrying about how to have fun with the family while out, rather then worrying about how much iron they should carry, and looking for boo boo behind every tree that will eat them... seen 26 different bears year before last, 19 last summer, and 9 so far this year, have 8 hanging in the corner and 2 more at the tanners... they all have one thing in common... they were all going the other direction... but thats just my experience, perhaps they can smell the bear on my breath?????
    I agree with all of your thoughts to some degree Vince, and I know everyone is wired differently, but I personally don't worry about my handgun options. I just carry one of two without much agonizing about it. Also, for me, having it is a net plus in the worrying-avoidance plan. Overall, I worry less when I have one, and thus have more mental calories available to devote to how to have fun and let others I'm with have fun.

If you feel the need to carry in town might just as well carry in the field. Never heard of a bear that is scared of people just bears that prefer not to be seen and keep the upper hand,its always the bears choice at DLP range. I like the wife to carry as she is bound to kill the bear of me if I'm down which is a win win. July is the only month in Wrangell does not have a season open for something so why not have a gun if opportunity knocks when just out walking.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Part time remote life has been a priority for my family since the day I got married. Ensuring the safety of my family is my responsibility. To have my child engaged by a bear while i was unarmed made a very big impression on me. I don't know how many of you have experienced beating the living crap out of a bear with a 2x4 but I know for sure my wife would prefer me to stand back and use a gun. I think it's a good idea as well.

No, I am not afraid of them but I highly respect them and their ability to cut you to threads. Having shot two nice browns, seems I get a adrenalin high when in close encounters. Now, if I did not have my rifle with me and meet one close, yes I would be deeply caring about my safety. I tell guys that wants to hunt them, if you are afraid of them stay home or pick another species to go after!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Never heard of a bear that is scared of people just bears that prefer not to be seen and keep the upper hand,its always the bears choice at DLP range.
    Good one! I think you're right about that!

Great thread in lieu of the what gun threads...

Tim

Not scared of the bears but I like to be prepared for a encounter that might turn sour. I carry most times i'm out in the woods, bear baiting, hiking, fishing etc.. but not always in areas that dont seem "beary"(for lack of a better term...). I feel its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it or however that goes Seems you need to be more concerned about the two legged creatures these days...

What is that about with the gas and diesel jugs. Old mine dumps all of the blazo and fuel cans are all chewed up. That can't smell like food.

First off, Vince I do get and enjoy the humor in the post. As far as when I see fresh tracks, it kinda raises that lil hair on the back of my neck, not so much scared just a lil excited and anxious wondering where its at right now and knowing that if it really wanted to it could probably eat me but Ive been shot at and blown up so I put it in perspective. I have a gun at all times mainly for the unknowns of the two legged creatures, but carry one in the woods as well. When your working in fish camp and have kids running around it makes me feel better knowing I can convince a bear to go the other way or kill if necessary. Ive had two bears come in to camp(saw them coming) and chose to scare them with shots rather than shoot them. Both were blackies with really shabby fur and skinny so I would not have shot them for sport or food. As one mentioned earlier, I too have come across some questionable people out in the middle of nowhere and was a lil more relaxed knowing I had it next to me if needed.

I am not scared of bears but do have a healthy respect for them and what they can do. I try to carry the majority of the time but fail to do so once in a while. My wife and I had a sow grizz stand up out of the alders while we were glassing on a hillside one time and my pistol and rifle were both sitting up the hill in camp, never again will that happen. It was a very sobering experience to realize what could have happened, luckily she and her three cubs took off at a very high rate of speed back down the hill.

Respect, yes. Sceered, no. I'm armed all the time and tread the earth without fear whether it be the mean streets or the wild, green boonies.
    Now what ?

The exploding arrow from Rambo III

I , too have had no problems with Bears, and plenty of time among them at that.

Thank the Lord that I have got
    Mosin's Gun and they have not....

I fear no Bears,
    They lay as rugs before me.
    I anoint my meat with their oil.
    Thy will be done and done with the gun for as far as I see.
    Thy Deadshot Wife and thy Wicked Accurate M-39 Mosin Nagant, they comfort me
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Wink

Duhh ya just carry a .22 pistol so you can shoot your pardner in the leg so you can out run him or her.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

and could be avoided with a little bear sense about a person.....so does whacking one with a fry pan constitute this LOL! Man wish i was there with a camera.

For me if I'm going to carry it'll be a gun or spray. I do, alteast when I hunt alone, go out repeatedly with nothing. When I'm with someone, I usually carry my spray. And everytime I walk out with nothing, it seems I'm reminded how dumb of a decision that is! Think of the wildebeast being ripped apart alive.....and you're the wildebeast, no thanks!

Either way my 2 encounters, both of which ended in steps was enough for me.

Take an empty cooler, fill it full of clean cloths (the cooler was just in case we caught coho's and it worked well to keep stuff dry, it had ZERO food in it and was cleaned with bleach and dishsoap after every use including before this trip which we kept 0 fish). Stick the cooler near a tent and have a bear sit down inches from your head in the dark! Food and trash was up in a tree, no food in or around the tents. That bear was trained, he messed with nothing but the cooler and cloths inside. The next camp he hit was his last. They werent so bear concious which is odd considering everyone of them carried some form of boomstick. food in tents, not so smart and one dead bear.

Or the bluff on the ivishak that started at 20 yards. It was a young bear we let get to 'cocky'. He came in curious at first while we packed the raft and seemed to get braver with every step. Eventually he decide he was the man of the valley and let us know. I'm amazed at how close he came before he sauntered off. Do that ONCE with a gun IN YOUR HANDS and you'll never go out again without it! And you'll ask yourself its big enough. We watched one chase a fox one hunt...lucky fox found a hole.

I'm sure the priest who got riped from head to bunghole was thankful his buddy had a firearm with him!

You can do EVERYTHING right and still find yourself in a pickle, and when they are, they arent there to thumbwrastle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast