Thread: Dipping from boat

Default Dipping from boat

Have a 16ft jon boat and a 16ft Achilles raft- was planning on using the jon to dip out of but have never dipped from a boat. Do you get any seas up where the dipping goes on? Which launch is best?

Which river, Kasilof or Kenai?

We will be dipping on the kenai

Since the boat dipnetting area ends at the Kenai City ramp, it's closest. Being closest it is often a zoo with a multi-hour wait. We like to launch somewhere up stream and take a nice boat ride. Last year we watched a cow moose and her calf swim across the river.

No seas, just a steady rise and fall of river level with the tide.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

The waves can get pretty rough in the Kenai with a wind, commercial boat traffic, and the 300 dip net boats running around. I would opt for the raft.

I vote for inflatable. You're not going to sink it. Jon boat doesn' have much freeboard.

Check out this description and picture proof re: little boats on the Kenai:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/80434-Kenai-dipnet-questions?p=741327

~tr

Oh man, a 16' jon boat would be a big upgrade for me:

Toy boat, Toy boat,Toy boat,Toy boat...

All I can say is you are one brave dude to be out in the jostle and tussle of the lower Kenai during dipping.

I have entertained the thought of taking out my little 14' jon boat on K-beach, but the lack of freeboard makes me nervous. I use a 19'er for dipping the kenai.

I stay away from the big boys at the lower Kenai. Those fish came from the bridge down to the cannery.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Toy boat, Toy boat,Toy boat,Toy boat...
    And now you know...

the rest of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    I stay away from the big boys at the lower Kenai. Those fish came from the bridge down to the cannery.
    I've never had ANY problem filling my permit dipping in this area. Last year it was our boat and two others all afternoon! No rodeo.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Let me ask you guys this, would it be feasible to safely dip near the bridge using a 12-foot inflatable with a 6-hp fourstroke? What is the river current at that location? I know that my set-up will only go about 9 mph wfo with two guys and gear in it, is that enough oomph to battle the current and get you around in? I've done the beach thing before and am weighing my options...

The 12' Smokercraft in the pictures posted previously has a 6hp 4-stroke. It has handled the load and current fine. It's not fast, but works for us.