Thread: Opinions Wanted on boat motors!

Post Opinions Wanted on boat motors!

Hi folks. I have recently acquired 2 boats and motors. I have a 89 or 90 model Mercury 15 hp 2 stroke short shaft. I also have a 76 model Evinrude short shaft 15 hp motor. I have ran the Merc and it runs well and seems strong. I have not ran the Evinrude yet. Ain't had the time yet. Can I get some opinions on these two little motors as to what you think of each and which one I should keep?? Oh, I will be using the motor on a 11.5 foot Avon inflatable boat. Thanks.

Mark

Well The Merc, is 14 yr,s newer?? I guess i would lean toward that one. However i have a 75 Evinrude 15 in my shed i had in high school and it still run,s perfect. The older, just harder to get parts for. I vote to keep them both. Use the one you like, there where both good little engine,s. Keep the other one for a spare.

service them well and if you find no problems they should last for many more years. motors tend to get finicky rather than just quit without warning. neither would i want to rely on for service where my life was involved. only inconvenience if they went out.

I'd keep both, a good short shaft two stroke 15 horse is hard to come by, and a very versatile motor. The E-rudes are very light, and there might be times where you want the lighter motor.

I know there is an online article about maintaining the 10 and 15 horse e-rude/johnsons that also includes information on the changes made to the engines throughout the years.

Default Boat motors

Thanks for the replies guys. I too am leaning towards the Merc, but I can't keep both. I have to have a boiler put in the house and can't keep both boats.