Thread: Finished first batch of canned salmon

Default Finished first batch of canned salmon

I just finished my first batch of canned salmon. I brined it, packed it, and added a little liquid smoke. All went well with the canning part, but when I finally opened the canner, at 0 psi, I noticed the smell of salmon. I could see no leakage on the jars and the water was still clear. Is this normal to smell? I figure since the jars outgas during canning you should smell something when you open the canner, but I am not sure. The headspace looks okay, and there is nothing on the jars or in the water. Any thoughts?

Jars exhaust some liquid during the cooking process. That liquid will end up in the canner. That's what you're smelling. You may notice a bit of residue on the outside of the jars, too. It's completely normal. As long as your lids popped in and stay that way until you open the jar you're good to go. If you can press on a lid and pop it in and out, put that jar in the fridge and use it soon.

My advice for a newbie, you don't need near as much salt as the instructions say. I routinely use between a quarter and half teaspoon of Lowry's seasoned salt for a pint jar or one pound can. Never a problem. Yum! When packing smoked fish, and I do mine in the smoker for just a little while before packing, I add a few slices of jalepeno pepper. Double yum!

Thanks, can't wait to try some more recipes. Had some canned with jalapenos last week, it was fantastic!