Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown Bear guns again!

Default Brown Bear guns again!

This time around I think it would be interesting to know who has actually killed a brown bear and with what gun.
    I have never been able to do it yet so big brother has had to leave me behind both times.

He was successful twice, the first an 8 1/2 footer with a 416 Rigby. Then again this year, just south of Cold Bay he killed a 9 1/2 footer with his 375HH.

Who's next?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

8 foot bear with a 300winmag 180gn accubond one shot dead in 30 foot.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

300 Ultra Mag works great.

Two brown with 45/70 useing Hornady 350gr rn at 1,880fps. One at about 20-25yds and one 75yards both one shot pass through.The rifle was an older Marlin1895 full size. My next one will be with a Ruger #3 45/70 and BB 430gr
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

One brownie, DRT, 100 yds, 00 buckshot, one pellet hit, pass-through.

Just kidding.

Actually 9.3x62, 285gr Lapua Mega, 40 yds, pass-through, roll over, bawl, next shot finish.

KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kabluewy View Post
    One brownie, DRT, 100 yds, 00 buckshot, one pellet hit, pass-through.

Just kidding.

Actually 9.3x62, 285gr Lapua Mega, 40 yds, pass-through, roll over, bawl, next shot finish.

KB
    I'm hopeing this is just a hunting question as if town bears as LEO are included the number goes up and 12ga/slugs were used
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'm not a bear hunter, nor do I play one on TV, but I would want a cartridge of 8mm or larger for big bears.

The 358 Norma magnum sounds about right.

300 Weatherby w/ 180gr Barnes-X. About 140 yards if memory serves.

Default Have no desire to shoot one but

this will roll a Buff and they have a lot worse reputation than any bear.

Ruger RSM 375 H&H

In the field, a Sako 375 H&H, two Winchester 270 grain soft points to the chest from about 50 yards. Bear ran 30 feet and went down and was dead by the time I got there. Assisted with a bunch over the years with 12 gauge slugs mostly to the head and neck area. Over the years we killed many browns with Federal Hydra-Shok 45 auto rounds to the head using the pig kill method after they were caught in barrel traps.

Have taken 2- 1 with a .375 Ruger and another with a .458, neither required any tracking and were dead after they stopped rolling.

Spring 2001, solo brown bear hunt. Used my Weatherby Mark V Stainless with 250 grain nosler partitions. Sure took a lot of work afterward to take care of the meat, hide and skull. 3 days of scraping fat, turning ears, splitting lips and taking out knuckle bones from the paws, then finally stretching out and drying the hide. Hide made a good camping mattress for late fall and winter camping trips. Meat was okay, but not something I would want to eat to often, every 10 years or so would be okay.

An elder native hunter said one time when asked why he hunted and killed a bear in his old age, he responded to the younger man by saying that when he is feeling poorly like he does some days, he rolls out the bear hide on the floor and lays down on it, and while he is laying there he thinks about the hunt and it makes him feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Spring 2001, solo brown bear hunt. Used my Weatherby Mark V Stainless with 250 grain nosler partitions. Sure took a lot of work afterward to take care of the meat, hide and skull. 3 days of scraping fat, turning ears, splitting lips and taking out knuckle bones from the paws, then finally stretching out and drying the hide. Hide made a good camping mattress for late fall and winter camping trips. Meat was okay, but not something I would want to eat to often, every 10 years or so would be okay.

An elder native hunter said one time when asked why he hunted and killed a bear in his old age, he responded to the younger man by saying that when he is feeling poorly like he does some days, he rolls out the bear hide on the floor and lays down on it, and while he is laying there he thinks about the hunt and it makes him feel good.
    Which caliber?

May 2010, 8 1/2ft brown bear SE Cold Bay. Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06@ 40 yrds. Ammo was Federal Vital-Shok High Energy w/ 180 gr Nosler Partitions.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Which caliber?
    Thanks MarineHawk, thought I wrote the caliber down. It was a 340 Weatherby.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Thanks MarineHawk, thought I wrote the caliber down. It was a 340 Weatherby.
    Nice. Was it the factory Wby load, and how far away was the bear? How did the NP(s) do?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the answers.

OOPS! A one track mind shouldn't try to multi task. I not only put this on the wrong thread, I botched it as well! Disregard!

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Nice. Was it the factory Wby load, and how far away was the bear? How did the NP(s) do?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the answers.
    Used Weatherby factory ammo, bear was 200yds away and running/climbing back up the incline of the mountain face, Noslers did very good, broke the boar's back and finished him off with a heart shot at close range. Believe I posted my hunting story on one of the forums some time back. Thanks for asking.

Large grizzlies count? .30-06....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast