Thread: 29 Pilot House

Default 29 Pilot House

How many of you have them and what are the +'s and -'s

Looked at one at the factory today, it's going to be a while before I sleep again.

Default What Brand Boat

"Pilot House" usually is a description of the type of vessel, like "cuddy" or "flybridge". What brand is the 29 Pilot House?

Sorry about that, wasn't thinking straight.

Wooldridge 29 SS Pilothouse

Looked it over at the factory and just haven't come up with any negatives, would like some input from owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsboat View Post
    it's going to be a while before I sleep again.
    yep, i know what ya mean
    !..i had to stay away from this forum and boats so i could sleep again!....thats the boat i decided on, but have many "sleeps" before i get her home.....did you go for ride?..grant is great to work with, has been with me all the way with my questions and ideas!...lots of great boats out there, but this company is def in one of the tops----lower down payment then most , too- tells me the company is very stable!!...have fun larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Default Wooldridge

Very good boat. positives are fuel economy, wieght, build quality, utility, towability....negatives are wieght, I think they may pound a little more than some heavier boats, sometimes underpowered, make sure you get plenty of power for that size boat, not a real deep v, so they pound a little more in chop. There is no perfect boat, there are always tradeoffs, and I would put the Wooldridge pilothouse at the top of the list for an offshore boat for Alaska for fairly short duration trips for fishing and cruising

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    .....did you go for ride?..grant is great to work with, has been with me all the way with my questions and ideas!...
    No I didn't go for a ride, Grant showed me around and pretty much left me without any unanswered questions-----got a lot of thinking to do.

Are you sold on Alluminuim? It is heavier than most metal boats the same size. Which when you start getting up in the 30' range weight is nice. BAMF Boats is comming out with a pilot house this winter. Fuel capacity is 250 gallons, Fish hold capacity is 120 gallons. Powerd with a Volvo d-6 they're getting 10-12 gph @ 25-30 kts thats 2.5 mpg average. I saw the 29 Pilot house at the seattle boat show and it is defintly one of the better metal boats made and has lot of nice features. I wonder if they can get a bigger tank in there 100 gallons not much for a 29.

The Wooldridge 29 pilot at the Seattle boat show had the raised self bailing floor option which includes 2 large under floor fish boxes and a 150 gal fuel tank. Glen

Quote Originally Posted by mwf1973 View Post
    Are you sold on Alluminuim? It is heavier than most metal boats the same size.

Yes I'm sold on aluminum, the one I looked at had the raised self bailing floor, a feature I really liked, the 150gal of fuel should be plenty for my use although I would tend to spec a boat with all the fuel capacity possible.

Weight for the size of boat? I haven't studied that yet, from the way it sets in the water and watching it plain on the video I was thinking maybe too light for rough water, but I'm not an engineer, just a wanna be owner. I did raise the rough water ride question to Grant and he explained the trade offs built into the design.

My use would be mostly fishing, day trips.
    Last edited by Jonsboat; 07-16-2010 at 12:06. Reason: add too

Try to find something used that you really like if you are looking for a metal boat. I've been offered what I paid for my 2005 Sea Sport without even putting a "For Sale" sign on it compared to trying to sell my 2008 Wooldridge Alaskan II for 60 percent of what a new one costs and getting zero interest from any buyer.
    Hopefully the Wooldridge Pilot does better at holding its resale value but much more bang for the buck if you allow someone else to take the depreciation hit.

PS: Weird, if I delete the second word "paid" it deletes the first one as well. And if I attempt to put in the percentage mark it types in this weird number combination "%"
    Tennessee

My friends have a Wooldridge 29 Pilot , I have taken it out several times this summer in PWS. Each time out we are more pleased at what the boat can do as far as room to fish on the rear deck, cuddy comfort,fridge, heater,tons of room inside the cabin for gear and people. The new drawers and trays over the side windows are handy. The head seems to have more room than most at least that's what everybody says. This one has the front hatch that opens up to access the bow, very easy to get upfront and adds lots of light to the cuddy.
    The boat handles great, the spray deflectors work just like Grant said they would, they keep the front windows clean in rough seas"unless the wind catches it and pushes it back on the windows". The Webasto heater, Wallas stove/ heater work excellent, we use the Webasto to just heat the cabin and the Wallas to cook with. The fish boxes give you an easy way to store extra stuff, bumpers, buckets, rope, ect.
    The self bailing deck is dry even when 3-4 guys stand in one corner with a full load of gear and fuel, the water stays well down in the scupper tubes. We have had 4 adults and 3 kids under 5 out for 2-3 days with plenty of room for all. The owner has had a 23 and a 26 WB Pilot and now this 29, it suites them well, they regularly take 6-8 guys out on fishing trips and there is no lack for space.
    The boat has twin 150 Yamaha's, the Wooldridge performance reports on the web seem to be very close on real world numbers when you get the boat decked out ready to fish. We have seen 43 mph on dead flat calm seas with the 3 kids and 4 adults with 3/4 tank of fuel, and at 4000rpm it cruses at 28-30mph depending on the seas. The boat would not get up with this load on 1 engine but it was real close at 19mph perhaps with trim tabs it may have.
    The 150's do fine on it, more hp may just get you to the fishing hole faster and move the fuel gage down quicker. It's all what you like to do with the boat, they like the good fuel mileage and spend lots of time exploring and sight seeing with it. I would highly recommend one, as they seem to be growing in numbers here in AK. I would love to have one but my Wooldridge jet boat will have to do for now.
    You can see in the pics the rpm and speed on the Garmin 5212.

Sport Drifter, the name of your friends boat is exactly how I'm feeling in trying to put this togeather

You mentioned the new drawers and trays over the side windows are handy, the one I looked at had a small full length tray above the side windows. It's the one thing I changed in my Hewescraft by making the trays bigger and installing cargo nets to keep things from bouncing out. If you have a picture of the drawers and trays I'ld like to see them.

I notice he has a windlass, how much rope/chain can he get in the rope locker?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsboat View Post
    Sport Drifter, the name of your friends boat is exactly how I'm feeling in trying to put this togeather

You mentioned the new drawers and trays over the side windows are handy, the one I looked at had a small full length tray above the side windows. It's the one thing I changed in my Hewescraft by making the trays bigger and installing cargo nets to keep things from bouncing out. If you have a picture of the drawers and trays I'ld like to see them.

I notice he has a windlass, how much rope/chain can he get in the rope locker?
    If you looked at one at the WB shop that one had the new trays that are above the side windows and the 3 drawers are under the dinette sear on the rear cushion. I think they can get 600ft of rope and chain in there. I know on their old 26 they had this much for a Lewmar windlass. If you look there are pics on here on a 29 build thread that show them and the WB website has some interior pics as well.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=wooldridge+29

Sport Drifter, I miss understood what you were saying, the pic's are like the one I looked at, thanks.