Thread: Petersburg / Sumner Strait

Default Petersburg / Sumner Strait

Heading to Petersburg next week and was wondering if anyone had any recent info on how the fishing has been. Plan on mostly trying for Halibut but anything to entertain my wife and daughter would work. Renting a boat from Jensen's. Thanks for any info or help.

Hank

If you rented the bigger boat go to LeConte Glacier. Easy run if the weather's okay. Wife and daughter would love it.

Leconte would be a good idea, but I would be pretty cautious about heading into the bay itself. Study the charts, there are some pretty serious rocks right at the mouth. And don't get mixed in too close to the ice, the tide can really move in and out of the bay and it really takes someone with experience over there to navigate. But it would be worth heading over to the mouth of Leconte. Lots of ice bergs and seals right at the mouth.

As an update, Kings have been so-so this year. The hatchery run in the narrows was a bust. Halibut should we going strong right now.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Thanks for the info. We are booked with a day trip to Leconte with Tongass Kayak next monday so hopefully glacier is covered. I looked at youtube videos and I wouldn't want to venture into the bay myself. My boating skills thru ice are untested, sandbars, oysterbeds, and now oil slicks but ice I have no experience. I have pages of notes from past posts on here (thanks everyone) I thought I would just ask about any last minute info if anyone was willing to share. AKboater, thanks for the info. John told me that he will be out of town and your Dad will probably get us set up the first day with the rental. Looking forward to meeting him, we have spoken on the phone a couple of times. Thanks again. Have a great summer

Hank

Louisana, you will be in good hands with AKBoater's dad, but be careful and don't admit that you love Petersburg because he will be selling you a place there. You will love it.

Just was up that way yesterday from Coffman. A few salmon around,halibut was painfully slow. That said we have been doing well up that way for halibut so maybe these big tides have done more hurt that we thought. Good luck up there, enjoy the scenery.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Truesdale, I think Louisiana should be askng you about halibut, if I remember you did pretty darn well when you came up.

Gooch, any tips on the salmon? General areas or techniques. I am guessing you are talking about silvers now?

Truesdale..what , holding out on the halibut hotspots...comeon man throw me a bone...

I think he was fishing the same spot you're going to try, so you won't be missing out.

Default Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Truesdale, I think Louisiana should be askng you about halibut, if I remember you did pretty darn well when you came up.

Yes, we did do quite well. A depth finder is critical; a GPS helps a lot. A marine radio to monitor the weather forecast is also very important. If you go out in the Strait keep an eye on the weather if you are in a 16 or 18' skiff.

We mainly fished 100' humps in Sumner Strait almost directly south of the Narrows and east of Foremost Rock. We also fished around White Rock by Level Island. We got fish in as little as 30' of water. Our two big fish came right in the bottom part of the Wrangell Narrows. We always used fresh bait we jigged near the canneries in Petersburg.

In all of my fishing on both coasts, all the planning, studying of the charts, reading posts and all the execution, I believe that the secret to catching fish is to have a babe or two on board. My wife always out fishes me as she did with one of our 5+ foot fish in Petersburg.

Thanks truesdale. I sent you a PM. My babe on board will freak if she catches a big fish!

I answered your PM. I hope your wife out fishes you and has a great time; it will make your time even better.

Salmon was hot yesterday and the halibut were still slow. Salmon were 20-25 feet down running green on green flashers and flies.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Gooch, how come you're out trolling instead of nailing those Whale Pass fish?

Good question, it is like shooting fish in the proverbial barrel over there. Looking for kings too so trolling works, we only have to run 5 minutes out from town to troll. That said we went over to Barnett (sp?) yesterday caught 24 silvers, 2 big lings, and 3 halibut. Good day!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island