Thread: Yamaha F50 to 60

Default Yamaha F50 to 60

what do U know about changing HP by changing PC board.

You have to change the ECU, take out the restrictor plate in the air box, and change out the exahaust tube for a bigger one. Alot of messing around for a supposed 10hp increase. I have also heard that a couple folks have burned up their motors trying to do this as it may lean them out when you change the ECU and take out the restrictor plate, but fail to do the exhaust mods.

Word of caution. If your planning to run on the Kenai River. Kenai Park Rangers know what to look for with the 60hp modifications. They have been trained to look for matching serial numbers on the ECU, and know what the 60HP ECU numbers are. I have also been told by the Rangers themselves that if they find this, it's confiscation. No messing around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Charlie View Post
    You have to change the ECU, take out the restrictor plate in the air box, and change out the exahaust tube for a bigger one. Alot of messing around for a supposed 10hp increase. I have also heard that a couple folks have burned up their motors trying to do this as it may lean them out when you change the ECU and take out the restrictor plate, but fail to do the exhaust mods.

Word of caution. If your planning to run on the Kenai River. Kenai Park Rangers know what to look for with the 60hp modifications. They have been trained to look for matching serial numbers on the ECU, and know what the 60HP ECU numbers are. I have also been told by the Rangers themselves that if they find this, it's confiscation. No messing around.
    If you are thinking of doing this on the Kenai think again. Sockeye Charlie gave you good advice, don't do it. The rangers WILL confiscate your motor. They extra 10hp is not worth it.

Hi Guys, Im a new member here and stumbled across this old post. Are you guys sure about all this?

I'm led to believe that the restrictor plate is the only difference between the 50hp and 60hp and that the ECU's have different part numbers but are interchangable on both engines. I havent seen anything about the exhaust sytems being any different? From what I have found you just remove the restrictor plate and you have a 60hp engine, with a lower rev limiter from the ECU so just put on a bigger prop to keep the revs under the limiter. I have done this recently and have can now run my 11" prop at 5700rpm where before it would only get to 5200rpm. Haven't hit the rev limiter yet but I believe its set around 6000-6200rpm. Havent noticed any difference on the engines performance besides the extra power, especially noticeable getting up and out of the hole.

I also tried a 11 5/8" X 12" SOLAS prop which before struggled to get up and WOT was 5000, now it gets up OK (a little bit sluggish) and revs to 5400rpm.

Anyone else got any experiences doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    If you are thinking of doing this on the Kenai think again. Sockeye Charlie gave you good advice, don't do it. The rangers WILL confiscate your motor. They extra 10hp is not worth it.
    Where are you running? It sounds like it is working for you. Personally, I don't want to mess with factory settings. Also, I am on the Kenai and it just isn't worth losing my motor.

Hi Yukon, Looks like you got some great Salmon fishing on the Kenai. Im planning a trip over to Alaska in a years time.

I live in Northern Australia and Im running a 4.6m aluminium hull that is rated to 60hp. We fish for a fish called Barramundi here and the water is **** hot here compared to the Kenai!

The engine is a 2010 yamaha 4 stroke F50 (still got over 2 years warranty) The old boat I had was rated to 50hp but now I want the extra 10hp on the new hull. We dont have HP limits on our rivers here yet so not an issue. Seems to be running fine and its working so far however i am a little worried about having engine problems down the track if there is something Im missing. I got a lot of the info from another forum in the States http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/s...d.php?t=771608
    but I cant log on to it to let them know of my results. Im loving the extra power however it is worrying in the back of my mind whether I may be doing damage and Id love to know for sure!