Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Upgrade Issues

Default Forum Upgrade Issues

Hi folks,

Lots of discussion on the new upgrade in here, so I thought I'd clarify a few things about the upgrade to VB4.

We really didn't have a choice. The software has been upgraded and we need to stay ahead of the curve. The update has been out long enough for us to be sure it's as stable as can be expected. Support for the old software will wane over time and we need to keep current.

Here is a short list of some of the other reasons for the change:

1. Security enhancements (decreases vulnerability)
    2. Ability to add new features / VBulletin products (enhancement for members)
    3. Cross-content search functions across forums and other products (enhancement for members)
    4. Streamlined ability to enhance our page layouts (site management benefit)
    5. Better ad placement (benefit to site support structure)
    6. Sharing of attachments between forums and other VBulletin products (decreases server load)

Hopefully that makes sense to everyone?

That said, feel free to post your technical issues and concerns here in the Forum Tips and our IT folks will address them. Keeping them here simplifies their job and speeds up the solution to the issues...

Thanks for your patience!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Hey Mike - is there any way to change the colors with this upgrade? Maybe in the User CP? I've got poor color recognition and this grayish color (my wife tells me it's actually green) is really hard for me to read. I mentioned it after the previous color change but was basically told I'd have to live with it. I'm hoping it's an option with this build.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

One thing I used to like with the old forum format was when you went back to a thread you've read before, the new posts would be a different color(or highlighted somehow) then the posts that were on there the last time you made a post. Is there a way to turn that back on?

Thanks
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    One thing I used to like with the old forum format was when you went back to a thread you've read before, the new posts would be a different color(or highlighted somehow) then the posts that were on there the last time you made a post. Is there a way to turn that back on?

Thanks
    New posts will have the title bolded, once you read them they will be displayed in plain text. To go directly to the first unread post in a thread just click the little circle in front of the thread title.

So, no help with the colors?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    So, no help with the colors?
    I don't think that the colors are a customizable option for individual members.

How about a simple theme adjustment? I think it's a checkbox option in this version of vB
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

On the old site when you had been off for a few hours and then came back on it told you how long you had been gone. This made it nice so when going through the new post you knew for sure where you had already been. Any way to bring this feature back?
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

BlueThunder,

Try clicking on the "whats new" tab at the top of the page. It will bring up all the threads with new posts since your last visit. It also on the right hand of the list shows what forum subcategory that thread is in (hunting, freshwater fishing, rafting,....) What I do is click "whats new" and since I really only read hunting, rafting, gear, optics, shooting, bowhunting, handguns, and sometimes yes you caught me here in forum tips But I just look for threads in these subcategories and open up all the ones I want to read since my last log in in a bunch of tabs and then close them as I read them. I find it is a pretty fast to weed through everything I don't want to read and get to the conversations I am interested in.

Still having troubles with Forum sections being minimized and returning to the list of Forums when I come back to the main screen. And the sign in box is screwy again, it shows my password as I type it and then it always fails the first time around but when the second screen pops up to re-enter the information it accepts it..?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    And the sign in box is screwy again, it shows my password as I type it and then it always fails the first time around but when the second screen pops up to re-enter the information it accepts it..?
    Huntress I have the exactly same problem on every new computer I sign on with for the first time. After I click the "remember me" button I never have to log on to that comp again. However that initial sign on or if I log off and log back in its the same deal. I see my password as it type it when I attempt to log it, it fails, and then takes me to a "retry login" screen at which point I type my user name and password and the password shows up as black dots like always and the login is always sucessful from this point.

Thats odd, mine is still acting up. Only one computer here so I don't have much of a choice...(shrug)
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Huntress I assume you are clicking the remember me box?? Also do you have your web browser setup to clear your cache or history after you shut down the browser?? If so that might explain it.

Question user cp ?

Where'd the link move to, to get to the user control panel?

All the stuff that could be changed to improve the site and this is the improvements list you've got? Sorry, but you asked for technical feedback and that's mine.

FamilyMan,

Your usercp is not called "settings" and its located just to the left of the "logout" button in the upper right hand part of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    FamilyMan,

Your usercp is not called "settings"
    So I suspect that "not" should really be "now", which changes you posts meaning just about 100% ????

Good news is - I'm well trained in opposite talk and understood it directly! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    So I suspect that "not" should really be "now", which changes you posts meaning just about 100&#37; ????

Good news is - I'm well trained in opposite talk and understood it directly! Thanks!
    HAHA......glad to see you are well versed in opposite talk. No problem. There are some definite bugs with the "upgrade" but hopefully we'll work through them.

Question What's New vs. New Posts

On the forum home page there's a link called "What's New?"
    Then on the line below it, there's a link called "New Posts"

What's the difference between these two links? They seem identical to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    On the forum home page there's a link called "What's New?"
    Then on the line below it, there's a link called "New Posts"

What's the difference between these two links? They seem identical to me.
    My sources say nothing

Default empty space at bottom of posts

Seems like if you have (or even had at one time; ref: Brian M) a sig then there's a bunch of empty space at the end of each post.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast