Thread: Seward Silver Update 7/12/10

Thumbs up Seward Silver Update 7/12/10

We were in Seward Saturday and did pretty good on silvers. Here's the lowdown:

We left the dock Friday evening about 8pm, and motored out to Cheval Narrows. It was raining off and on (mostly on), but we trolled herring and blue #5 Vibrax spinners and hooked two in a couple of hours. One was lost at the net, and the other shook off. I think both fish were on the spinner. It was getting dark, so I think they could find the spinner easier than our trolled herring.

It got late, and the swells and wind were out of the southeast, so we motored over to Agnes Cove, where we anchored for the night. Next morning we were fishing by 6:30 or so, and it just got better and better. Like the previous evening, we were seeing silvers on the fish finder, scattered from fifteen feet down to about 65 feet or so. Fishing ranged from good to fantastic. We ran a blue Vibrax on a downrigger at 52 feet, and two herring on planers that were probably running 25 feet or so. We did all our trolling on the west side of the narrows, wrapping around to the south side of the point. We saw a few jumpers, so there were fish all the way to the surface. The four of us limited out by about noon or so, and headed back to Seward.

We were hoping for some rockfish too, but we had no luck in that department.

Looks like the silvers have finally materialized in Resurrection Bay!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Fished Cheval as well on Saturday and got our limit of 42 in a couple hours and hooked a salmon shark with my salmon rod. Fished pony on Sunday and got our limit of 24 in a couple of hours as well. No need for trolling this time of year, the salmon are thick and mooching allows you to fish the entire water colum. the fish in Cheval were in the 45'-25' range will Pony was much deeper ( 85'-60') the pinks were shallow at Pony.
    Boatless

Here's something I observed. We started trolling Cheval Narrows on Sunday, had some good action that slowed down. Started to drift, mooching. Would drift right by a boat that was anchored up - they were catching lots of fish, we caught almost none, even when we drifted right by them. Finally, after they left, we anchored up in the same area, and caught 10 fish in 30-45 min on 3 rods, including a triple.

I don't know if it's a rule, or just a one-time thing, but anchoring made all the difference for us. In the future, I will either troll or drift until I find any sign of fish, then I will anchor up to mooch. Much less stressful too, not having to worry about drifting into other boats or the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    Here's something I observed. We started trolling Cheval Narrows on Sunday, had some good action that slowed down. Started to drift, mooching. Would drift right by a boat that was anchored up - they were catching lots of fish, we caught almost none, even when we drifted right by them. Finally, after they left, we anchored up in the same area, and caught 10 fish in 30-45 min on 3 rods, including a triple.

I don't know if it's a rule, or just a one-time thing, but anchoring made all the difference for us. In the future, I will either troll or drift until I find any sign of fish, then I will anchor up to mooch. Much less stressful too, not having to worry about drifting into other boats or the rocks.
    Some of the fish we caught had chunks of cut herring in their bellies. Obviously some of the charters were chumming. I think fishing near them is probably productive, but it seems to me that when they're in and on the bite, it may not matter. I hear you on mooching; we were having too much fun trolling and didn't try it much.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Got 36 in five hours on the troll at Pony Saturday. It started slow in the cove until we poked our nose out around the corner into the swell and fished the big waves, and things got better. Fish #36 took almost an hour though! The water laid down quite a bit as the morning wore on.

Interesting thing - two of the 36 were reds. I think I've caught only one other red in saltwater.

Sunday fished Day Harbor and it was slow over there. Last year at this time it was a bloodbath. Tried south fox as well toward noon, and it too was slow and crowded. Left early and finished with six silvers and one 16-lb white king (yum).

I also fished Pony on Saturday. Weeded thru about 20 or so pinks to get 18 Silvers. I changed my bait from one pole with vibrax and one with herring to a large red/silver flasher with a pink/white hoochie on one and green/white hoochie on the other with a big jet diver. Did real well with it, I thought. I figure I was only in the 10-15 foot range so maybe thats why I caught so many pinks. It was a gorgeous day on the water for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    Fished Cheval as well on Saturday and got our limit of 42 in a couple hours and hooked a salmon shark with my salmon rod. Fished pony on Sunday and got our limit of 24 in a couple of hours as well. No need for trolling this time of year, the salmon are thick and mooching allows you to fish the entire water colum. the fish in Cheval were in the 45'-25' range will Pony was much deeper ( 85'-60') the pinks were shallow at Pony.

I can confrim the shark. He had it right up to the boat a couple of times with the fin out of the water. My perfomance paled in comparion to Brad's, with 'only' 22 the first day and 12 the second. Pretty good fishing out there now.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I can confrim the shark. He had it right up to the boat a couple of times with the fin out of the water. My perfomance paled in comparion to Brad's, with 'only' 22 the first day and 12 the second. Pretty good fishing out there now.
    I am sorry you had such an unsuccessful weekend on the water. You guys might just
    starve! Just kidding, of course.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I fished Cheval on Saturday and we didn't get out there until noon . . caught our 30 in 5 hrs trolling. Sunday, we fished there for 3 hours due to early departure requirements and got 15. We'd planned on a short trip, and didn't bring much bait. When we ran out, we ran spoons on the down riggers and planers, and still caught fish! It was hot no matter what you were fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    Got 36 in five hours on the troll at Pony Saturday. It started slow in the cove until we poked our nose out around the corner into the swell and fished the big waves, and things got better. Fish #36 took almost an hour though! The water laid down quite a bit as the morning wore on.

Interesting thing - two of the 36 were reds. I think I've caught only one other red in saltwater.

Sunday fished Day Harbor and it was slow over there. Last year at this time it was a bloodbath. Tried south fox as well toward noon, and it too was slow and crowded. Left early and finished with six silvers and one 16-lb white king (yum).
    Talked to a guy I work with today. He was out at Pony Cove and caught his limit easily, he also stated that he caught a Red on some herring. Crazy! They were anchored up and mooching also, he said about 25-30 feet.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I used to drag a silver and blue or green coyote spoon behind a dipsey diver off to the sides so we were able to run 3 or 4 rods without stacking to much on the riggers and every now and then would pick up sockeyes if I was trolling SLOOOOW! Never failed when I wasnt paying attn and slowed down, wamo red on. It wasnt consistent enough to chase a limit on, but something to consider if you're around a ton of them. Never did try it on big schools, wish I would have, got a feeling it would have worked well.

I, too, have caught reds out of Seward a few times. I caught mine on 3.5" Coyote spoons in flourescent green and glow, and on small cut-plug herring.

so... how do you tell the difference between reds and chums out there...??? I've seen it time and again where people at the fillet dock think they have a red only to be mistaken for a chum... lots of chums around the Chival area right now and its a little late for the reds.

Quote Originally Posted by jockomontana View Post
    so... how do you tell the difference between reds and chums out there...??? I've seen it time and again where people at the fillet dock think they have a red only to be mistaken for a chum... lots of chums around the Chival area right now and its a little late for the reds.
    Even in the salt, if you turn a chum the right way you'll be able to see the precursers of what will later become the vertical bars you see on spawning chums in the rivers. Also, the leading edge of the anal fin is white in spawning chums, and often in the salt you can see faint whiteness on that leading edge of the anal fin on bright, saltwater chums. Sockeye don't have this. Finally, for a sockeye and a chum of similar size the caudal peduncle on a chum will be noticibly smaller. This is the 'wrist' just in front of the tail. Look for these three things and you should be able to distinguish bright chums from bright sockeyes.

It is possible to catch silvers, chums, pinks, chinook and coho in Resurrection Bay right now. I've caught all of them there this time of year.

Note the narrow wrist and faint vertical bars from this tidewater chum. Almost make out the what leading edge on the anal fin, and you can see the whitish spot on the tip of the anal fin that becomes more prominant as the fish color up. I've caught chum clear out at Pony Cove that looked pretty much identical to this fish.
    chum characteristics a.jpg

at first I had a hard time telling a chum from a coho in the water......chums pupils are huge! the big forked tail is the dead give away.

Forgot to mention I was choking herring for kings, running sloooow when I'd pick those reds up. 1.1 to 1.5kts