Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shrimp thief

Default shrimp thief

Had someone "check" my pots for me saturday morning early. We did good in the same spot friday evening, but the overnight soak only gave us 7 shrimp.....

What a low life, stealing shrimp... Kind of gets under my skin...

where??? almost hate the idea of carrying shrimp pots down this weekend...

My bad man, i thought that was my pot!

Just joking

Did they at least rebate it for you?
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

Yep, it was a 7 shrimp rebate...

Octopus maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL isn't it possible you just didn't catch anymore that time? how do you know someone checked them? and not somthing? or perhaps your pot fell of the wrong side of the rock and you missed them????????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Maybe they moved... Maybe you caught 'em ALL

That is irritating as all get out but there are other possibilities, Sure Hope nobody is out doing that, shhheeeeeeeesh
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

zip tie the doors shut then you'll know if anybody messed with your gear.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Anybody know what ever happened to the two guys who were actually caught raiding pots in that Kingfisher last year?

Slap on the wrist. I think $500 (or less?) fine each person.

What's the story there, who caught 'em? the Brown shirts?

I'd think that $500 would be enough to stop 'em from doing that again for a few gallons of Shrimp. Hope So
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post

I'd think that $500 would be enough to stop 'em from doing that again for a few gallons of Shrimp. Hope So
    The shrimp pot owner saw them pulling his gear, run up on them and started taking pictures. Posted the pictures and story with photos of the theives and their hull number on craigslist. The photos caught them redhanded, they had the gear in their hands.

Back to the OP, I have on several sets caught over a gallon and drop the pot back in the same stop and have it drift just a bit and pull a blank.

I have also had my gear parachute off the ledge and found it floating on the tide. Just saying all gear is not robbed or raided, althought their is plenty of that as well.

Good Fishing

Steve

That's an incredible read there, Ok, I'll change my opinion, they deserve much more than a $500 fine for that blatant disregard for others gear and effort. Incredible,

I have Barely Any Patience for the "we don't speak english" thing using the "we don't understand this culture, we're sorry" deal as excuse when caught redhanded. My Admiration goes to the guy who owned that gear for staying cool enough to take care of it that way.

Back to the OP tho, there really are a lot of ways your gear can mysteriously "not fish" from one set to the next especially in that depth. Think it all through, how your gear could have drifted down off the original spot or maybe up the edge some, etc. Makes you a better Fisherman in the end,
    then, if you do find someone on your gear. You may be able to stay as cool as that guy did. Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post

Same names as the guys that were snaring black bears out there several years ago. Slow learners I guess.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Holy cow spoiled one you're right! Grrrrrr! They need to be tarred and feathered
    I'm done w/ shrimping! I had my pots stolen for a 2nd time in as many years. Its getting ridiculous, I'm soured on the whole thing. If you're gonna shrimp these days you have to standby while your pots are soaking. Makes it impossible for any decent soak time. I'm totally bummed on shrimping
    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Same names as the guys that were snaring black bears out there several years ago. Slow learners I guess.

some gillnetter probably cut the buoy off !! Oh S**t you were dead tired from picking reds for days on end and cut off your own gear !! I know where you can get more.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Holy cow spoiled one you're right! Grrrrrr! They need to be tarred and feathered
    I'm done w/ shrimping! I had my pots stolen for a 2nd time in as many years. Its getting ridiculous, I'm soured on the whole thing. If you're gonna shrimp these days you have to standby while your pots are soaking. Makes it impossible for any decent soak time. I'm totally bummed on shrimping
    In this country you just get your wiener spanked, elsewhere you would be peeing in a bag! They keep doing this crap because they can. Our culture hasn't figured that discipline thing out and it sucks!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Potbuilder thats funny, I have freinds that fish over there they would never do that oh no no no. I do like the zip tie idea on the door certain kind of tie always at the same place on door then you would know if someone is messing around.

When Crab Fishing Out West, if we ever had suspicions of folks "Spot Checking" our pots or even if fishing in crowded grounds we would just tie the door in a unique way, just another wrap of the door tie strap, to get an idea if someone else had been in there. Saves the Ziptie which has to be cut (not a big deal as they aren't that expensive)
    of course if a potrobber is paying attention they can tie it the same way as well as carry the same type ziptie you use. If they care.

Sometimes also we would do it as a joke to partner boats or crews that we know, pull a pot, tie the doors Really Well with all kinds of hitches, fill the pot with our garbage or toilet paper, something supposedly funny like that.

In commercial fisheries it is considered "Borderline Acceptable" for a boat cruising by a long string, seaarching for Crab to "Spot check" pull a pot, just to see what's in there. I should say Borderline, as I Hated when people do that without somehow letting you know as the Captain, you watch those numbers closely to see where the Crab are and when they are dropping off, adjust your string accordingly, so a spot checker is just irritating as all get out,

But I learned to deal with it as somehow some guys feel they have the right to do that???

Do Shrimp guys do that out there? I imagine a five pot string can't be pulled without the entire thing coming up so it wouldn't work like pulling one pot out of someone's string of Forty Pots.

One explanation, that could help your patience with the practice is, if your string is out there for two weeks without being pulled, some folks who are working the area might consider it "easier on their conscience" that they check it and rebait it for someone who isn't working the gear??
    Some might feel they actually Do have the right to do that, For example, The Local Boys, might feel they are ok with checking some City Boys pots just for user fees of their area. (Ohhhh that might get this thread heated up, eh?)

Not saying that's cool, but if your pots are down there "Seemingly Forever" someone might find it easier to run 'em on ya

PS I don't live anywhere near there, would not do that myself and don't know anyone who does, but I Do know folks who are not all that happy with any influx of out of towners, kinda territorial, you might know a few of those types also? Might be some in the Sound, what with the Recent Tunnel Invasion and all......
    Might be worth thinking about

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast