Thread: Haul Road fly in caribou hunt

Default Haul Road fly in caribou hunt

I would like to rifle hunt caribou and utilize the haul road and then fly in to a good location. I may have a partner who will be bowhunting, but I plan to rifle hunt. I would like to hunt the western herd (are they within range of the haul road?) since numbers are doing good, and limits are often 2 for NR. Basically I would like a hunt where one can expect too see a lot of bou. I am willing to pay for a midhunt move in case animals are not there.

I would like to use the haul road simply because I really want to drive it and see everything. I would rent a vehicle, drive the haul road, possibly hunting, to a prearranged spot and get flown into bou. A chance at a moose or black bear would be a huge bonus.

Any suggestion to add to my plan? Any suggestions on who to fly with? I am willing to work hard but hiking the 5 miles off the haul road to gun hunt bou seems like a little much.

My priorities are getting into a lot of bou, then seeing a large part of your spectacular state (hence driving the haul road). Last but not least some chance at an additional animal (not blacktails).

Float hunts are also an option. Another idea, if feasible would be have someone pack us from the haul road to a good spot with bou, with horses.

I do not want to hunt guided, strictly DIY with my own gear most likely. Yes I have a good idea what that will entail.

Thanks DonV Ohio

I have looked into flying out of Kotz, but by the time we pay extra to fly there we could haveflown into Fairbanks and rented a vehicle and got to see the haul road - an added bonus. Plus then having a vehicle we could look into someplace to do a quick black bear or moose hunt for a day or 2.

Default Rental Cars

Most rental places in Fairbanks make you sign a no Haul Road use statement. Make sure to check before you get there and have trouble. You reallly need a truck with a D or E rating and extra spares and gas. Gas and tires are worth thier weight in gold above the Yukon. Last year there was allot of Black Bear feeding on berries on the hill side near Coldfoot. Several were taken with bows.

Happy Hunting

Steve

don't think you'll have to worry about hunting blacktails up there either!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have heard about trouble with vehicle rental for Haul Road but have known several guys who have rented with no problems, recently so I have info. Can I get to Western Arctic herd (by flight) from Haul Road, I think it might be to far west. Definetly will have gas and spare tires.

Keep the info coming and thanks

DonV

Default A thought

Poss a flyout from Bettles for caribou avoid the whole Kotz deal. Then leave some time after that to spend a few days down on the Kenia There you can black bear hunt,fish sightsee & just have a great time also might be some moose available depending on your time frame. Cant think of a better drive out of Anchorage than that lots to do down there & enough road system to get around.

Don,
    there are air taxi's working out of Coldfoot year round and out of Galbraith Lake, Happy Valley, and Deadhorse during the fall.

Sorry I don't have names. If you're internet searching doesn't turn up anything then try the ADF&G or AK State Troopers for leads on who flys out of where.

Good luck

Lightbulb Air transport...

Coyote Air is in Coldfoot and goes up into unit 26 for drop offs. Seems like they run about $750-$850 per person it seems like. Don't quote me though...

flycoyote. com

AZinAK

Default Coyote Air

we Dirk last year for a sheep hunt, its a lot more than 850 per person

The charters flying out of HV, and Gailbreth are flying for guides and are not doing drops for DIY hunters

You can get Alaska Flyiers to pick you up in HV but they are based out of Kaktovic

Default Bettles

Floated the John in '02 out of Bettles and they flew a father and son from the Haul Road and back after thier float. they had a truck parked just off the road somewhere and it was a quick flight. So Bettles may be an option.

Default CAC

I beleive the caribou off the haul road are the Central Arctic herd to the west of the Dalton and the Pocupine herd to the east.

Tim

Great info guys, please keep it coming, how far is Kenia from Anchorage?

Red face Coyote Air

That price for Coyote was just what I was quoted last year for flying up near the Ivishak...sorry for any confusion, and if you paid more, maybe it was for where you were going...I don't know, just a number I was quoted...

Happy Hunting