Thread: Might I get an update fishing report for Res. Creek, Russian River, Kenai and Homer?

Default Might I get an update fishing report for Res. Creek, Russian River, Kenai and Homer?

oh boy it is getting close... and we are all pumped!!! 7 days and counting.

I'm hoping to get an update fishing report for Resurrection Creek, Russian River/Kenai @ RRCG and Homer? im arriving 7/20 and hope to be fishing by early afternoon.

Also, someone recommended I stop in to Mossy's Fly Shop, to stop and get info on what gear to use the up and coming week. He is close to where I will be in Anchorage. Is this a good choice to gear up (flies, etc and what might be hot)? I want to try and stay out of Sportmans Warehouse as much as possible.

Mossys is the way to go. Read the forum for fishing reports...

I arrive 7/24, but not fishing until 7/26 (have to do the social thing first) on the Kasilof, then the Lower Kenai on the 28th. Will be fishing the Upper & Middle Kenai Aug 2 to 6. I will also be doing some ocean fishing in Homer and Seward while I am there. From what I have heard the runs are alittle slow & later this year. Hope the fish stay around for my trip.

Great! I will head to Mossy's then. I will check the other posts too

From what I have been reading on the forums, the run for Pinks in Hope should be slammin the week Im there and the Reds in the Russian should be hot too.

Now if I can figure out how to not battle the people. lol

Might be kind of late on the reds in the Russian. There will be plenty of tomatoes. The rainbows in the russian should be hot though! Silvers should be trickling in by then too.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    There will be plenty of tomatoes.
    okay, most might know what you mean, but I lack some of the AK lingo... What do you mean? If I had to guess... salmon row/eggs???

Were okay with bows for sure. I was under the impression that the reds would be there, but they must have run earlier. thanks.

I think were just going to stop by Mossy's and ask Mike what fish are where and what we should use to catch said fish.

Tomatoes refer to the reds after they have spawned, they turn bright red and get very soft.

I think by tomatoes he is referring to salmon that are far along in the spawning stages and are no longer good to eat. There are typically two runs of reds in that area and the first run will be mostly done but I think your timing on the second could be good. Fishing behind spawning salmon you should be able to find rainbows and maybe some dollies. Good Luck and enjoy the trip.
    Greg

ah gotcha... rotten tomatoes...

thanks all for the info and updates. you all rock. hopefully I see you out there next week/weekend.

called one of the restaraunts on main street in hope today to see if they've seen anything. they said they are starting to come in! hoping someone heads that way to try it out and verifys.

Some people call those fish "Potato Heads"

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Can I get an update on these areas? Im heading to the airport tonight and heard the pinks arent very good in Hope yet (that is my first stop) and not sure about Russian.

thanks all.

i hit up hope yesterday with the fly rod hoping to get into some pinks, and left disappointed. there were about 8 people on the river and only 2 were hooking up. you had to either be across the river on the other side or be in the hole where the river goes into the s shape. i remember last year at this time i was slammin them learning how to fly fish, but this year they are just late.

This past weekend:

Hope: Very slow. Some fish in the creek. Managed 1 fish in an hour
    Kenai: Dipnetted 11 sockeye in 12 hours, pretty slow. Most people were having the same luck, there were some exceptions.
    Homer: Flounder fishing from the spit was good with lots of pollock and a few cod caught. We caught a bunch of halibut, nothing big, our limit of Black Rockfish, and a few small lings.

Hope this helps.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Tried Hope last Monday. Spotted several hundred fish between the bridge and the mouth, farther upstream very few. Caught about a dozen or so fish in a couple of hours but they were unusually finicky. Additionally, the vast majority of pinks seen or landed were already changing color; in fact, did not land a single chromer. Yet virtually all the fish caught still had sea lice on them. Looks like a late run this year and indications are, as of now, that the run is not very large. That could change shortly, just never know. Beached two ocean bright chums as well, both took a lot of work to find and hook.

whats the creek name in hope? Might go try tommorow and post a report
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Resurrection Creek in Hope... Will probably be there with the kids sometime this weekend. They have a blast there...
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"