Thread: Jack Kings

Default Jack Kings

I've been reading some posts relating to people catching Jack Kings while trolling for early season silvers out toward pony cove, etc., and not wanting to get caught up in semantics, I'm getting the impression that the fish being caught are not Jacks, but young feeders, as they are so far away from any home streams. I've always been of the understanding that Jacks are early returning sexually mature male kings. So how would one come upon a jack in July on the outskirts of Resurrection Bay when the Kings have already been hitting the shores for over a month?
    Given the sorry state of the king runs statewide I would just make an appeal to whoever is reading this to release those so-called Jacks so that they may grow into larger and tastier mature kings.
    I'm also not about telling people what to do, but I feel the need to open a discussion about this and see what others think and what they practice out on the water.

First of all, I don't king fish in the rivers, I king fish in the saltwater. Second, a smaller feeder king is much better eating than a big old spawner. Sorry, but if I catch a feeder king, I am keeping it and eating it. My question to this post is, why is it ok to catch and keep a king in the river, but not ok in the salt?

yea i agree. A feeder king is not guranteed to spawn. he could get eatin by a shark or die in oil spill or whatever. but a river king is fully mature and own his way to spawn. Seems like you are doing much more damage by keeping the river and not the jack.

Logic Fail OP,

/thread
    I Wish i could change my name to Shimano, because i recently started hating Ambassdor Abu_Garcia.

No, no, no, its not a "logic fail" maybe its a misinterpretation of my post on your part. I have no problem with the retention of feeders here. I'm talking about those 20+ lb feeders. Its the small 'jack' size fish I'm appealing for people to release. To let them get bigger.
    Individual tastes for fish are completely subjective. I caught and ate a blush king on the shore in Seward and it tasted fine. I've had feeders too and they taste fine as well.
    People can and will do what they want.
    And Abu, I totally get what you're saying about river fish, and that is why the fishery is so much more highly regulated.
    All I'm saying is a small king caught this time of year far from a spawning stream is not a Jack in the sense its an early returning sexually mature male fish. Its a small feeder. Release it and try to catch a bigger one.