Thread: Stuck boats and Hi-Lift Jacks

Default Stuck boats and Hi-Lift Jacks

Here's a question for all Hi-Lift enthusiasts: how have you successfully used them to get unstuck?

Have you used them with chains, straps, ropes, and anchors for pulling? Have you lifted vertically to get skids or rollers under the boat or to break suction out of mud?
    Have you wedged them into the ground at a 45 degree angle to push the boat? Have you used them in a different way?

What methods work best with a Hi-Lift Jack in different conditions?

I have only used mine once and it was on someone else's boat. We jacked the rear up as high as the jack would go and stuffed a log under the boat. We then pushed the boat forward off the jack and it slid across the log back into the water. Every situation may call for a little different approach but a handyman is a very handy tool to have along.

How big was the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    How big was the boat?
    20' inboard with a V8. Handyman jack will lift a lot of weight.

Never used mine to lift a boat but used it plenty of times to lift stuck trucks and they weigh as much or more than boats do.

Mostly use them to jack things up and stick things under stuck rigs but have used them to winch things out(I don't recommend this!). Winching out with one is a VERY SLOW process, one has to be determined to get out this way.

USE MINE WAY TOO OFTEN, to get boat in water on sag , water not usually deep enough to float it off; use it with sched. 80 pvc to get unstuck or up on shore to work on it. very handy would not be out there w/o it
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

one has to be determined to get out this way.

Or be stuck somewhere there ain't no help a coming. Great tool, most are rated for 7,000 lbs, some for 9,000.