Thread: Pressure canner question

Default Pressure canner question

Greetings all,
    I was about to order the 15 1/2 quart All American pressure cooker to can some smoked salmon. I went online and their instruction manual said that the 10 and 15 quart models were not to be used for canning smoked fish. Raw fish was okay. Any idea why smoked fish isn't? I really don't want to haul around something huge, but I do tend to follow the rules when it comes to canning anything. Right now I am borrowing a 21 quart All American.
    Thanks,
    John

I don't know but I'm not a canner. Can you email them and ask? You'll probably get a good answer here though.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

I think you would be best to ask the manufacturer as well.

I think that possibly the unit in question is not rated for enough pressure, thus temperature, to kill the bad guys that may be present in smoked fish. Friends lost their teenaged daughter some years ago to botulism from smoked/canned fish. I don't want to turn this thread into a rant about the merits of smoked fish, so I'll just go with my first line.

Most manufacturer's warnings are legal protection for them since they don't want responsibility for a process they can't control, like brining, rack drying, and smoking. Lucky for me I threw my instruction book away many years ago so I never knew of such a warning. I can fish regularly and that includes cold smoked salmon. Several years ago I switched from using jars to metal cans. The cans had a warning about canning smoked fish. I did it anyway. It's worked perfectly for me. The best validation I can offer for the safety of canning smoked fish is this link. Particularly for those of us who use tin cans. Note the cooking time and procedures are identical to non-smoked fish. I trust UAF and the Cooperative Extension Service.

http://www.uaf.edu/ces/publications-.../FNH-00129.pdf

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. I could not load the file from UAF. I will try again later. I did read the pamphlet on canning fish in jars and it gives the processing time as 2 hours and 40 minutes. That is a real difference from all the other literature out there. Any ideas on why this is?
    Thanks,
    John

Canning times vary with different sizes of cans/jars. I suspect the cooking time you're referring to is for quart jars. Pints seem to be the most common jar size but I do most of my smoked fish in half pints, which seem better suited for an out of the jar snack. In those sizes the prescribed pressure/time is 11 pounds for 110 minutes for glass jars and up to 125 minutes for 1# cans.

Default canning with 921

I have the 21 quart canner Model 921 and love it. The instructions for it also say not to can smoked fish. Regards to ytlogger's post it is rated for more than enough pressure, I'd tend to believe what Mr. Pid says more; it's all about CYA (cover your a--). I have canned smoked salmon in mine saftely (although despite the advertisement I can only put 14 pint jars in at a time). Instructions also say 110mins at 15lbs (for pint jars), so regards to total processing times I'd think they were just including filleting, cutting, cleaning jars, etc...
    I'm going to check when I get home to see if I can find any reason in instructions why not to can smoked fish, I think their was a blurb in my instructions that said why... even though I have ignored it.
    B

Here's a link that anyone with a pressure canner should keep. Fish or meat, cans or jars. The UAF Cooperative Extension is a great resource.

http://search.alaska.edu/search?q=ca...put=xml_no_dtd

Quote Originally Posted by sbiinc View Post
    I have the 21 quart canner Model 921 and love it. The instructions for it also say not to can smoked fish. Regards to ytlogger's post it is rated for more than enough pressure, I'd tend to believe what Mr. Pid says more; it's all about CYA (cover your a--). I have canned smoked salmon in mine saftely (although despite the advertisement I can only put 14 pint jars in at a time). Instructions also say 110mins at 15lbs (for pint jars), so regards to total processing times I'd think they were just including filleting, cutting, cleaning jars, etc...
    I'm going to check when I get home to see if I can find any reason in instructions why not to can smoked fish, I think their was a blurb in my instructions that said why... even though I have ignored it.
    B
    sorry misquoted the instructions the model 921 can process smoked fish...

And I found an answer (kinda) on the Models 915 and 910 the canners "due to size heat and cool too quickly to saftely process smoked fish", this answer is paraphrased from a customer sales rep w/all american (got curious and called them).

Default Canner

I emailed the company and the answer I got was that you could. I re-emailed them and told them to look again at the manual. I appreciate all of the quick replies. Canning is a serious subject, and having been the victim of food poisoning once I really am somewhat squeamish about eating home canned foods. But I have also had some real kick *ss canned smoked salmon up here in Valdez. I just got a bunch of copper river red and would like to can some 1/2 pints to send to Afghanistan for a freind of mine. I want to do it right and not wipe out a bunch of soldiers. Our troops love getting stuff from home and anything we can do for them goes a long way in supporting their moral.
    Thanks again for all of the great answers.

I'm the opposite. I'd much rather eat foods that I put up than those you can buy in a store. I know the level of care I use for prep and packaging. I have no knowledge of who the big brands hire or what they do. My stuff tastes better for sure!