Thread: canoe for haul rd

Default canoe for haul rd

I am planning a hunt up the haul road and I have a 16 ft canoe. Would it be worth wile taking it along?

If you feel comfortable floating your canoe in class 2-3 rapids its worthwile. Ive never done it below Slope Mtn but I hear it gets prety nasty down there. Upriver is worse.

If you just using it to cross as opposed to trying to float a section you'll be better off than trying to wade across the river.
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!

yes take it
    north of ice cut there are 3-4 sets of rapids ( easy enough to line around them if you are not up to running them) then clear after that south of ice cut ( slope mtn dot station to ice cut) alot of rapids but plenty of spots long enough to paddle across to chase bou on opposite side. i've run it all in my jet boat gets very nasy upstream as you get to the mtns took on 40-50 gallons of water in 4-5 foot standing waves thought i was going swimming and going to loose my boat.
    north of ice cut- helped recover canoe that was dumped and lost man and his grandson made it thru worse of rapids then after shooting bou hit section of ripples side ways , trying to avoid them and went for a swim and spent night cold on the beach lost everything pack, pistol rifle and 2 bows . my speculation was boat was heavier with added wt of the bou and handling changed of the canoe. fish and wildlife spotted canoe, quarter of bou and rack from air and they recover that stuff.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

What I was thinking based on the other threads was just having it to cross water. Not really thinking about floating.